• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do we think things are "cute"?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why do humans think things are cute? What qualifies as cute? Small animals? Babies? Why? I love cute shit but what even the hecky is the science behind cuteness?

Rebeka

MBTI Type
ENFP
i don't really know because my mothertongue is spanish, so cannot deal as much with the concept of "cute" in everyday speech so as to give you answer XD, but i'd say that it points to charming things in general, an easy way to relate to charm without falling into overthinking XD

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess we equate cute with innocence and we all like a bit of purity sometimes.
Kinda like them Hayao Miyazaki films. ^-^

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To me cuteness is something that stirs up a parental instinct in someone. To me myself cuteness is something that reminds you of something young like big eyes, helpfulness, big head and a adorable face. Basically a kitten,baby or puppy in one. Interesting about the fact that people get frustrated about looking at cute photos and not being able to access the cute thing.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I do not find things like babies, kittens or tiny dogs cute. Things that are weak and helpless disgust me.
...but I do like puppies. They tend to be more playful and...bitey.

Most of the things that I consider cute..are more like Stitch ( from Lilo and Stitch) or Gaulem from LotR.

Kas

Fabula rasa
If you ask for reason, I think generally we find cute as you've written children, small animals like puppies - because they are vulnerable. So I guess we are "programmed" to have emotional reaction which cause us to be protective and provides them bigger chances of survival.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We're biologically programmed to think things are cute which have similar characteristics to babies. For example: round, big eyes and head relative to body size, helplessness, small etc.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do humans think things are cute? What qualifies as cute? Small animals? Babies? Why? I love cute shit but what even the hecky is the science behind cuteness?
I don't know. Perhaps they lack the proper frame of mind for making a more substantive characterization?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know. Perhaps they lack the proper frame of mind for making a more substantive characterization?

How would you characterize an adorable tiny floofy kitten with a little pink tongue and toebeans?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How would you characterize an adorable tiny floofy kitten with a little pink tongue and toebeans?
I wouldn't.

Unless it were underfoot; then I would call it a nuisance.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wouldn't.

Unless it were underfoot; then I would call it a nuisance.

What adjective would you use to describe this that isn't an obvious characteristic like "brown"?

worldpeace-hamster.jpg

78387aeb49233497e601c70633391a2f.jpg

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What adjective would you use to describe this that isn't an obvious characteristic like "brown"?
That depends on my purpose in describing it. I can see no obvious reason for me to do so, or to be talking about it at all.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That depends on my purpose in describing it. I can see no obvious reason for me to do so, or to be talking about it at all.

For science, Coriolis. For psychology. For an independent research project. Because I asked you to. One of those. :cry: Pleeeeease?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because it enables our instinct to protect

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're biologically programmed to think things are cute which have similar characteristics to babies. For example: round, big eyes and head relative to body size, helplessness, small etc.

Exactly. When I went to school we were taught about Konrad Lorenz and the "baby schema" (Kindchenschema) in biology class.

Cuteness - Wikipedia

Cuteness is a subjective term describing a type of attractiveness commonly associated with youth and appearance, as well as a scientific concept and analytical model in ethology, first introduced by Konrad Lorenz.[2] Lorenz proposed the concept of baby schema (Kindchenschema), a set of facial and body features, that make a creature appear "cute" and activate ("release") in others the motivation to care for it.[3] Cuteness may be ascribed to people as well as things that are regarded as attractive or charming.[4]

But of course culture also plays a big part how that is treated and valued. Think of the massive role the concept of kawaii plays in Japanese culture!