User Tag List

12 Last

Default the real Neuroscience of Creativity (Article)

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...of-creativity/

Thoughtful cognitive neuroscientists such as Anna Abraham, Mark Beeman, Adam Bristol, Kalina Christoff, Andreas Fink, Jeremy Gray, Adam Green, Rex Jung, John Kounios, Hikaru Takeuchi, Oshin Vartanian, Darya Zabelina and others are on the forefront of investigating what actually happens in the brain during the creative process. And their findings are overturning conventional and overly simplistic notions surrounding the neuroscience of creativity.

The latest findings from the real neuroscience of creativity suggest that the right brain/left brain distinction does not offer us the full picture of how creativity is implemented in the brain.* Creativity does not involve a single brain region or single side of the brain.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

This makes sense. I am surprised the left/right brain stuff is still so prevalent, as I believe I've seen other articles debunking the emphasis placed on it as well. But I guess it takes a while for theories/ideas that make it to the masses to be removed from use by the masses (I mean there are still all kinds of 'tests' on the internet that make use of it and stress creative=right, and so on).
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes prplchknz, asynartetic, Cellmold liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    This makes sense. I am surprised the left/right brain stuff is still so prevalent, as I believe I've seen other articles debunking the emphasis placed on it as well. But I guess it takes a while for theories/ideas that make it to the masses to be removed from use by the masses (I mean there are still all kinds of 'tests' on the internet that make use of it and stress creative=right, and so on).
    Misinformed people love pop psychology. It's taken its place beside old wives' tales. Tends to offer an over simplified explanation that doesn't require nuance and fits nicely into "conventional wisdom." I.e. Type A and B personalities. The stuff of Dr. Phil and daytime talk shows.

Granted, what I shared comes from a publication that can itself sometimes crossover into "pop" science.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Misinformed people love pop psychology. It's taken its place beside old wives' tales. Tends to offer an over simplified explanation that doesn't require nuance and fits nicely into "conventional wisdom." I.e. Type A and B personalities. The stuff of Dr. Phil and daytime talk shows.

Granted, what I shared comes from a publication that can itself sometimes crossover into "pop" science.
    Like typology?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Like typology?
    I was going to suggest that too, but it seemed fairly obvious.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

yah, it crossed my mind too. I've often wondered when everyone will look back at it and it'll be in the same category as the humours.

(tbh I find for example beebe's increasingly convoluted theories as testament to the fact that function theory is not practical or 'real'. When you start having to explain things via 'witch' function and all that jazz, it starts becoming kind of...silly? haha Though like any categorical system, which is what it is, typology (NOT the functions) serves its purpose)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

perception is so subjective tho
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

yah, it crossed my mind too. I've often wondered when everyone will look back at it and it'll be in the same category as the humours.

(tbh I find for example beebe's increasingly convoluted theories as testament to the fact that typology is too simplistic as to be super practical or 'real'. Though like any categorical system, which is what it is, it serves its purpose)
    Yes, there's still a lot of ambiguity in the field of typology because it's mostly theoretical and still based largely in abstractions at this point.

Do you think typology will grow as a field as neuroscience grows? Or will neuroscience replace or negate the need for typology? There seems to be some effort to link the two with the work of Nardi.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    perception is so subjective tho
    What would I do without you?

What would I do without you?
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Likes asynartetic, MDP2525 liked this post