User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    The personal experiences of those in this thread are...basically irrelevant in making any assessment, unless we hear 10,000 more stories. To get any meaningful scientific average, the number of "test cases" would have to be large enough to outweigh the other variables such as MBTI type.
    No way dude, we're not leaving this thread until this issue gets resolved.

But yeah, I could honestly argue it either way - is kid one going to develop his own "set" that's going to get aped by kid two, or is kid two, having seen 3 other sets, going to go off and develop his own unique approach?

I think it was already mentioned, but I'd reckon that age difference plays a huge part. I'm only a year older than my brother and there was really never any of that "Gosh golly gee my big bro' is so grown up & cool & I wanna be just like him some day" dynamic that you get when there's like a 5 year age gap.
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Are you ascribing this probability to function preference then, Jack?
    Not necessarily, though it could be called that by others unerroneously.

Introverts are more contemplative (I hope that we can simply agree on that), and by Jung's definition, more concerned with the subject (self) than object, so higher conviction from within simply stands to reason.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Would others agree that intellectual independence (such that this thread offers) is more commonly expressed in introverts than extroverts?
    More commonly? Maybe.
    ISFs... heh... uh... usually don't even know what independent means.
    I'd probably attribute it to __TP quicker than anything else.
    Though that is the stain of a specific introverted function, so... kinda.

Ni would be the only trump, but often enough its pairing judgement's extraverted ties ground them too firmly to conventional metrics to really allow them to be as unbound as a Ti.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

(I missed this)
    Even then, the criteria is pretty subjective. We are working with indefinite/unempirical terminology.
    Naturally. A study would be like some other socio-psychological studies without a hardcore foundation in science itself. And the results? Likely simply interesting as opposed to incredibly important.

MBTI
    INTP

Thats an interesting point. I think the open endedness and the T combine to create a love for verbal sparring, which usually ends up in forming a more independent opinion. While my oldest sister(ISFJ) is very independent and assertive in her actions a lot of her values and stances on things are just derivations of things.

I think since I like to take in information from everywhere and don't like closure I end up creating a very unique to myself opinon that incorporates a lot of things, while her sources are fewer and therefore more common to what others think.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Would others agree that intellectual independence (such that this thread offers) is more commonly expressed in introverts than extroverts?
    Here here, brother #2
    i would venture to say the witholding of such gifts is more common among Introverts, too.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP

I'm kind of easy to persuade and convince..I'm very gullible. Sometimes I question my own independence of thought ...hm..yeah I'm a middle kid, and a girl so people pounded their beliefs hard on me, but I gained some detachment from these beliefs and opinions and I feel a little less dependent.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I might be clingy and adhere to tradition but I'm the most independent thinker of my 4 siblings and I'm the youngest so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    tritto
    I had a very mixed upbrining. Until age nine I was the youngest by ten years of five children and then after that I was the only child at home. I was my parent's only child they had together. I wouldn't even know what to consider myself. Only child, baby, mascot, lol.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Naturally. A study would be like some other socio-psychological studies without a hardcore foundation in science itself. And the results? Likely simply interesting as opposed to incredibly important.
    Just to play 's Advocate, how the hell would one even quantify Intellectual Independence?
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!