• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What about hypnosis?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Y'know usually I don't even need an OP...

What about it? What do people think? Maybe if you think it's valid and reliable, unlike the MBTI. Maybe you have ideas for utilization of hypnosis.

Also, don't talk about stage hypnosis. Everyone's seen that episode. Pick your TV show -- we've all seen an heard of someone act like a chicken or walk on one foot.

Other kinds of hypnosis.

And I can't remember but I get the feeling I started this thread already.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My NLP trainer started out as a hypnotherapist. From him I learned a whole range of useful hypnosis-related skills. Hypnosis is really about being able to induce and utilise trance states.

Trance is the name given to any state of mind where that person has a narrow focus of attention. Typically, in the trance states that hypnotists induce, the subject has their eyes closed, is very relaxed, has a quiet mind and is aware of what is going on. Contrary to common belief, there is nothing stopping the client being able to reject any suggestion or awaken at any time -- unless the subject believes otherwise.

Whilst in a trance, the subject is able to step outside of their ordinary belief system. In therapy, this can bypass any limiting beliefs. In stage hypnosis, the hypnotist usually elicits awe and obedience. If the subject believes that they have to do what the hypnotist says... that belief functions exactly the same as if you are awake.

In addition, the placebo effect is so powerful that hypnotists often ensure that subjects realise they are or have been hypnotised. They convince the client's unconscious mind to do something the client has never experienced before, such as keeping their eyelids closed or lifting their arm up.

Deep trance can be a powerful tool for:

- Bypassing a stubborn belief system (yet requiring an openness to trance).

- Encouraging physical healing.

- Treating deep-seated psychological problems, such as phobias.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Can it be used to access the unconscious: Dealing with repression etc.?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can it be used to access the unconscious: Dealing with repression etc.?

Absolutely! In fact, there's nothing better for doing just that. I'm a relative novice with NLP/hypnosis techniques, yet I was able to help a close friend master a severe case of agrophobia by using them.

We're both still blown away by how easy it was to deal with a problem that had defied conventional therapies. There was repression involved in my friend's case - he had been born prematurely and spent weeks in an incubator as a baby. Incredibly, he had a repressed memory of this traumatic event which was contributing his agrophobia. The realisation of this was the key to curing the phobia.