First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Okayyyyyyyy

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

However, whenever I respond as I tend to:

*cue best Uncle Scar impression* Where are your parents?

I'm considered to be rude and stepping out of line!

Why is it considered rude for me to take over when parents are obviously neglecting thier duty to society?
    yeah I do similar. screw the evil looks I get, I give 'em right back. Don't make me out to be the bad guy here, you're the incompetent parent, I have a right to shop for groceries without being knocked over, dammit!! that's what I try to incorporate into my 'stare back'!

My mom rants a lot about it and SHE says she thinks it's because you've got a generation that was raised in daycare, that doesn't know how to 'parent', now raising their own kids.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ISTJ

Hi Sub

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Hi Sub
    LOL hi
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I really hate to complain about children, I mean after all, they are just children. Everyone was a child and there is a possibility I could have children someday, it cannot be easy to raise another little human... I am sure I would not mind having someone else deal with them if they were naughty, though. "You tell 'em, sista!"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I was at my friend's house, and his cousin's whole family came by: parents and four kids, all under six. It was excruciating. I don't really have anything to say to toddlers, LOL.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The worst time was when I took the time and expense to make a prime rib dinner and a relative's six-year old sat there spitting during the whole meal (spit was hitting me and my husband accross the table) and alternately spewing his food back on his plate and laughing. It was revolting and ruined the meal and I felt totally put upon to have to be the one to say "If you don't stop that, you'll need to leave my table."

A friend sat and watched her child mark my carpet with a crayon marker. I was in shock that she was saying nothing. Finally I said "Look at what he's doing!" She just smiled as if saying "wow isn't he a cutie!"

Another time a friend allowed her child to take my couch apart and drag the sofa cover all over the floor and sit there slobering all over the couch cushions, I came back in the room and saw this and she's just like watching it like it's totally okay.

There's other examples like this.
    Wow. :steam: Unbelievable. You are . . . tolerant. I will, with no hesitation, put a child in its place where the parents are disinclined to do their job. If the parents have a problem with that then I'd calmly let them know you'd rather not have to deal with the crap. If they cannot appreciate your protecting your home (I've never seen this happen), then they and their brat can go the hell home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalaru View Post
    I really hate to complain about children, I mean after all, they are just children. Everyone was a child and there is a possibility I could have children someday, it cannot be easy to raise another little human... I am sure I would not mind having someone else deal with them if they were naughty, though. "You tell 'em, sista!"
    It's not the children who are at fault; it's their useless parents.

MBTI
    INFP

The parents are the problem? I think more so than the child. That struck me when I read the OP. Spot on.

When I was a young mom I didn't have a clue what it took to raise a child and in spite of how much more sophisticated the world is these days about parenting it appears many still don't know how. In that day it was a given that ownership of a child implied ability to raise it. And most people did. And much more solidly than I see today.

Of course, being young, I thought I had all the answers! Rude awakening.

For whatever reason the economy, social changes, this idea of having two jobs - parenting and full-time employment, usually of necessity, does create a lack of time to parent well. And it offers your child up to be parented by others for the majority of his days. That will happen soon enough when he goes to school so those early years are a person's best opportunity to establish good habits/cooperative relationship. It also means leaving the home in a rush and returning tired. Neither are good feeling states in which to try to parent, patience being an essential.

I don't see it as a matter of seriously contemplating the pros and cons, one's' abilities and staying power and educating one's self in parenting techniques as much as it is learning the nature of one's child and then, through trial and error, developing techniques which work to help guide one's own unique little person.

I think those things are important. Still, all the preparation and contemplation in the world will not suffice for the curve balls a child will throw you and each one is different. In other words, it's nearly impossible to assess whether you'll be an effective parent until one is doing it. And it's pretty much a guarantee that all the child experts in the world are not going to make you a good parent to your particular child. It's darned hard work and for much longer than one expects in most cases.

If there were anything at all that is "equal" in a parent/child relationship, hopefully it will be that both are learning at the same time. Just being there and attempting to control another human, although small, is not going to be enough.

Maybe parents are too quick to relax and look away when all is going well and then jump into overdrive when it's not, with little other connection with the child. Or after a period of calm cooperativeness ignore the unexpected crises out of feelings of disconnection and ignorance of the child's nature.

My kids are 32 and 35 and we've got a love relationship with each other. There were times when it was one-sided. They still laugh at some of the stoopid mistakes I made with them and I don't resist the temptation to give a little back. They both have jobs and have managed to make their way in the world. They have problems, large and small. Real people. As real as I could help them to be.

And to me they are still small people! They hate that.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

I'm giong to slip sideways a bit and say a word about people with pets who are their "children."

I'll preface it with the truth that I have had cats for most of my life and every one of them has been my child in the fiercest possible way.

But I have known many oblivious parents of pets who allow their animals to inflict the worst of habits upon others.

People who have come to visit and brought their dogs into my haven for cats without a second thought. Neighbors who walk their dogs, stop to visit out on the deck and bring the dog into our yard.

My kitties are definitely offended by such a careless boundary violation and I speak for them rather than watch them go true to nature and put a nasty scratch on someone else's "kids."

The puzzling part for me is that their owners seem to automatically assume they can bring their animal along.

Well, dang, I've seen people do this with their children also. There are times when a child in the room is not appropriate. Distracting to the task at hand, no matter how well behaved. I dropped out of a women's support group I belonged to because so many of the young members were bringing their youngsters along which definitely exposed the children to the adult musings of others or otherwise hampered group members' ability to speak frankly.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I still don't see why I have to hear screeches, dodge running kids (really inconvenient when I had my leg in an imobilizer and was on crutches) and fear that some child will mistake me for a child lover and latch onto my leg

That sort of behavior is just obnoxious! I don't have kids and I'm happy that way- putting up with brat children in public makes me wish that there were seperate families sections of establishments like there are smoking sections- either habit annoys those who don't partake
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett