First 12345 Last

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Kids aren't that easy to train. I mean, maybe some kids are, and maybe some parents are good at that. I know I'm definitely not. I'm just hangin on for dear life here. I try to be as firm and consistent as I can be with my son, but there's only so much I can do. I'm just thankful he hasn't killed anybody yet.

That I know of, anyway.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Kids aren't that easy to train. I mean, maybe some kids are, and maybe some parents are good at that. I know I'm definitely not. I'm just hangin on for dear life here. I try to be as firm and consistent as I can be with my son, but there's only so much I can do. I'm just thankful he hasn't killed anybody yet.

That I know of, anyway.
    I will interject to say that I have met Jeffster's kid, and he is an example of the good kind.

MBTI
    INFP

Yup, Jeffster, young parent hafta eat a lotta convictions along the way. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

As a childfree person, I feel no sympathy with parents who feel they cannot handle their children. They ought to have self-evaluated beforehand and abstained from reproducing.

If they cannot train their children not to grab at other people and such, they ought to keep them in the home at all times and not inflict them on society in general.

MBTI
    INFP

I learned fast not to say, "No kid of mine is ever going to do that."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

And, as a childfree person, I'm not surprised that that is an idea of yours, heart.

Perhaps you'd be a parent who couldn't believe that your children had done wrong?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Ah, the joys of kids.

I used to live with my uncle years ago and there were two little girls (maybe about 7 or 8 years old) that belonged to one of his cousins that he tolerated hanging out in the household when he was there. They liked to play with his cat, play on his piano and look at his fishes. They knew I lived there and they knew which rooms they weren't allowed to visit.

One day, though, I came home from work and found them in the house alone, exiting my bedroom!

What the fuck? I NEVER EVER would have wandered around through a house that wasn't my own and look through a stranger's stuff.

Anyway, I froze at the end of the hall when I saw them, and they froze coming out of my room with that classic deer-caught-in-the-headlights look on their faces. So I say, "Don't go in my room..." and they're silent for a second before one says, "We weren't." I'm like "What, do you think I'm BLIND? DON'T go in my room, got that?" ... and the two of them ran. It was pretty awesome.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    And, as a childfree person, I'm not surprise that that is an idea of yours, heart.
    Why should Whatever have to put up with other people's children grabbing at her in public?

My parents were able to train me to act like a human being in public and not an out of control monkey and believe me they had some serious dysfunctions, but at least they could teach me the basics of getting along in a store.

I have no sympathy for people who cannot train their children to keep their hands off other people. I mean this is simple, basic boundary respect. If they cannot manage this type of basic parenting, they had some serious delusions about their fitness for the job.

Perhaps you'd be a parent who couldn't believe that your children had done wrong?
    If I didn't bother to try and train my children and I allowed them to run free and loose with other people's persons and belongings, I'd deserve whatever criticism was pointed my way.

I don't even get where you are connecting the two points here. I was saying that people who either cannot or will not bother to properly train their children have done those children and society at large a disservice by having those children. Now where in that philosophy does your logic come up with that I'd think my children could do no wrong? My children could only understand the world as I taught them to understand it, their mistakes would be my responsiblity to teach them to learn from.

But most of this behavior is habitual for these children. They've been taught no basic respect for others.

Like my neighbor, I am telling her that her child is invading my privacy and also playing in an area on MY property that could be dangerous for him and she can barely concentrate on my words, she's so fatigued (or drunk or high?) that she's fading in and out, irritated. Tells me that she's lucky when he'll obey on *important* issues! This person is not able to cope with parenthood. This person should have self-evaluated before hand. Period. End of discussion.

MBTI
    INTP

I think a lot of it is that parents love their kids so much that they think that everything their kid does is cute, so they assume the rest of the world does, too. I am afraid that would be my Achilles heel as a parent, though I don't have kids now. I have a feeling I'd just think they were so darn great and/or funny that I wouldn't be as strict as I should be. Which is funny, because other people's kids can really get on my nerves.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I will interject to say that I have met Jeffster's kid, and he is an example of the good kind.
    You're just saying that because he was focused on his Gameboy, rather than on stabbing you to death with his fork.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    As a childfree person, I feel no sympathy with parents who feel they cannot handle their children. They ought to have self-evaluated beforehand and abstained from reproducing.

If they cannot train their children not to grab at other people and such, they ought to keep them in the home at all times and not inflict them on society in general.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel