• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inability to release...

V

violaine

This may not work for you at all. I used to get "stuck" feelings (I like that description, Anja)... I put it down to always being up in my head. Very daydreamy, always thinking about something. It lead to being extremely disconnected from my own body. I could go whole days without eating etc. I felt a little dereal.

Anyway, I read some interesting tips for Enneagram type 5s and type 9s and put into practice the part about staying in touch with your physicality. Hard physical exercise develops your appetites and ability to experience your emotions for some reason. Worked for me.

Enneagram Type 9, Personal Growth

From that:
- Exercise frequently to become more aware of your body and emotions. (Some Nines run around doing errands and think that they are getting enough exercise.) Regular exercise is a healthy form of self-discipline and will increase your awareness of your feelings and other sensations. Developing body-awareness will help teach you to concentrate and focus your attention in other areas of your life as well. Exercise is also a good way to get in touch with and express some aggressions.

Enneagram Type 5, Personal Growth.

From that:

- Learn to notice when your thinking and speculating takes you out of the immediacy of your experience. Your mental capacities can be an extraordinary gift, but can also be a trap when you use them to retreat from contact with yourself and others. Stay connected with your physicality.

- You tend to be extremely intense and so high-strung that you find it difficult to relax and unwind. Make an effort to learn to calm down in a healthy way, without drugs or alcohol. Exercising or using biofeedback techniques will help channel some of your tremendous nervous energy. Meditation, jogging, yoga, and dancing are especially helpful for your type.

I found that only pretty "sweaty" types of exercise worked for me though, not yoga.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get frusterated.

Funny story, I don't think I ever repress emotions but like someone said, my feelings instantly become thoughts and I am more focused on solution than anything else.

Then one day after a particularly eventfull two years, I am sitting through an employee meeting that got me severly frusterated.

I started crying uncontrollably for three days straight. Not balling crying, there were just tears activley dropping for three days. I was talking and laughing with friends all the time the tears pouring down. It was the craziest thing you wouldld ever have seen. I couldn't miss work for something so stupid, so there I am going through my normal daily duties activley crying. My voice was normal my sense of humor was there everything was the same. My friends were just like OMG freaky and we just had to laugh about it.

It finally subsided after three days and it hasn't happened again. I still don't quite understand what the heck happened there.

Imagine being completely normal going through the day with tears falling at a non stop steady rate for days. It was weird.

wait a minute. Is that really a stupid reason to call in sick? I wouldn't have been able to be at work like that. For one I would worry my boss would think I was unstable. Is that a T thing to not call in sick for this? (And yes that's an entertaining story. ha.)

T

ThatGirl

No, I am serious nothing else was out of the norm. It was just active large tears streaming down. I was laughing about it. So was everyone else. They asked me if something was wrong, and I had to laugh, there wasn't anything wrong. It was more of some weird physical reaction.

I can control my emotions and I am not a cryer, this just had a mind of its own.

I am not going to loose money over something so stupid. My bosses know me. They dont think I am unstable as a matter of fact they think I am one of the most optimistic happy go lucky employees they have.

No one has heard of that happening before?

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm kind of the opposite of you Uber. The rare times I cry, I don't even know I need to do it before it happens. I take quite awhile afterwards trying to decipher what emotions lead me to have a release in the first place.

As for how to allow yourself to cry, I have no idea. Maybe music might help, anything that makes you feel strong emotions. Good luck.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Meh I can be the opposite when I'm on my own.

I'd suggest crying won't help it's understanding the emotions you have locked up that's important... write them down, for me that helps me release them *shrug*

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I definitely have this problem. Regardless of it's in public or private, I really am unable to significantly emotionally "release" through displays of emotion....

Even when I felt like it at a funeral, crying or appearing visibly upset wasn't something I could do.

My solution is generally to work through it mentally as best I can, and try to find a way to do some of the activities that help with that. For most things, that just generally involves finding a way to get away from the world as best I can to eliminate distractions to my thoughts.