User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

See example ajblaise or what did you want to say ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

the most cathartic thing for me in handling my deeper emotions is to get involved in work that strikes at the causes of those emotions. So, say for example I feel angry or sad about some redneck neighbours causing trouble, I'd find projects (or if there were none, start one) that work at addressing the causes of social malaises in the lower classes, tackling unemployment, despair, poor self-esteem etc that causes people to behave in those ways.

or if I feel unsupported or alone in dealing with something, I'll find where others are dealing with the same things and find ways to support them so they don't have to feel how I do. often, that way, you get back what you give as well.

If truth be told, at least half the motivation behind my philanthropic/humanitarian work is more about catharsis for my own inner 'choleric' buildups than any noble, empathic sense of chivalry/Christian values etc...

Now, at risk of sounding like the ISTP's in the beating around the bush thread, do you have anything specific in mind that you feel a need to express, a particular feeling with a particular cause?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Does anyone ever get the feeling where you want to release yourself emotionally but you can't?

Like, for me, I often have a desire to cry but I just, I dunno, feel like it's all bottled up and I can't let it flow out, even through the use of moving movies, stories, or dwelling on melancholy thoughts. For some reason, everything feels locked up inside and it's literally impossible for me to let anything out.

There are times where I just feel that I have to jettison my cargo within me but I can't. I don't think that my emotions are repressed because then I wouldn't be aware that they exist or even aware that they need to be released. Or maybe I'm confusing the definition of repressed.

Lately, the desire for intense emotional release (crying) races through my body and skull and they just won't release in the open.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What do you do about it? Because I can't find any way to release it. Like I said, I watch moving films, read moving stories, or maybe listen to powerful music, but nothing ever seems to release the feelings I have bottled up inside.
    Yes.

I used to have a friend who would just hold me and make me feel safe, sort of like a mom, and before I knew it, I was releasing all my stress and worries in a flood of tears. It would be great if we could find a human being to help us out with this, but most times we can't.

Sometimes I will sit in private and write down everything I'm worried or stressed about. Eventually, I will come upon the deeply buried feelings that have been waiting to come out. As I'm writing about them, inevitably I will cry. Depending on how private your feelings are, you could blog them if you want feedback.

If they're too private for that, I just pretend I'm writing a letter to God.

Either way, you need to get alone.

MBTI
    ENFP

I have found that this is usually because we are afraid to let it out. We are afraid that once we let it go we will never stop. We are afraid that the intensity will take over and we will not recuperate.

It's more common than you think.

One of the best things to start is to find a place that you feel safe where no one will come in and interrupt or "catch you". When you get there start going through what has been most hurtful and painful... try to experience those FEELINGS before they become thoughts... try to stay with the hurt before it changes to anger or frustration...

It might not be released in the beginning but it may after a while of your sitting with the FEELINGS not the thoughts begin to stir some out...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    I have found that this is usually because we are afraid to let it out. We are afraid that once we let it go we will never stop. We are afraid that the intensity will take over and we will not recuperate.

It's more common than you think.

One of the best things to start is to find a place that you feel safe where no one will come in and interrupt or "catch you". When you get there start going through what has been most hurtful and painful... try to experience those FEELINGS before they become thoughts... try to stay with the hurt before it changes to anger or frustration...

It might not be released in the beginning but it may after a while of your sitting with the FEELINGS not the thoughts begin to stir some out...
    Um, I'm pretty much alone all day.

MBTI
    ENFP

Um, I'm pretty much alone all day.
    It's one thing to be alone. It's another to be in a safe place alone.

If you are, then great... Do as the rest of my post says... Sit with the FEELINGS ... not the thoughts... See where it takes you...

ThatGirl

Get frusterated.

Funny story, I don't think I ever repress emotions but like someone said, my feelings instantly become thoughts and I am more focused on solution than anything else.

Then one day after a particularly eventfull two years, I am sitting through an employee meeting that got me severly frusterated.

I started crying uncontrollably for three days straight. Not balling crying, there were just tears activley dropping for three days. I was talking and laughing with friends all the time the tears pouring down. It was the craziest thing you wouldld ever have seen. I couldn't miss work for something so stupid, so there I am going through my normal daily duties activley crying. My voice was normal my sense of humor was there everything was the same. My friends were just like OMG freaky and we just had to laugh about it.

It finally subsided after three days and it hasn't happened again. I still don't quite understand what the heck happened there.

Imagine being completely normal going through the day with tears falling at a non stop steady rate for days. It was weird.

Does anyone ever get the feeling where you want to release yourself emotionally but you can't?

Like, for me, I often have a desire to cry but I just, I dunno, feel like it's all bottled up and I can't let it flow out, even through the use of moving movies, stories, or dwelling on melancholy thoughts. For some reason, everything feels locked up inside and it's literally impossible for me to let anything out.

There are times where I just feel that I have to jettison my cargo within me but I can't. I don't think that my emotions are repressed because then I wouldn't be aware that they exist or even aware that they need to be released. Or maybe I'm confusing the definition of repressed.

Lately, the desire for intense emotional release (crying) races through my body and skull and they just won't release in the open.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What do you do about it? Because I can't find any way to release it. Like I said, I watch moving films, read moving stories, or maybe listen to powerful music, but nothing ever seems to release the feelings I have bottled up inside.
    Have you ever heard of hyper-intention? In psychology, the terms means that when you strongly wish for something, paradoxically it makes what you wish for impossible. One way to counter this is to stop wanting to release your emotions, and hopefully they will come naturally.

It took me most of my life to figure out how to let my emotions show. Especially negative emotions. I am fortunate enough to have learned music at a young age, so even if I feel suffocated and unable to express myself verbally or physically, I have music to turn to.

Other possible ways:
    - Be alone with yourself without directing your thoughts/feelings anywhere. The key to releasing emotions is not actively wanting to release them, I've found.
    - Even if you don't play music or write, creating things helps with self-expression. i.e. stream of consciousness writing.

Each person is unique with regards to what they feel and how they choose to express it, so maybe what I said won't do anything, but I hope you find what works for you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I know that feeling.. when I feel like I need to cry/but can't/don't.

I think it's more likely because we've been so numb to those emotions for such a long time that our body just gets used to it- so the usual response of crying to something emotionally upsetting just isn't there because we've been conditioned to it so many times.

That's just my guess. Although, I do think that crying when we need to (not excessively) is healthy, because it's a form of emotional purging/helps us to get back in our own element. Repressing emotions just further prevents us from being true/raw to ourselves as human beings.

MBTI
    INFP

Uberfuhrer, I don't know you well enough to suggest specific tecniques. Here's a thought: Anger can act like the stopper on the bottle of other emotions so sometimes starting with dealing with angry feelings can release what's under them.

And INTJMom's thought about touch seems good, if not feasible for you. Sometimes when people are dealing with a lot of loss or senses of loss a touch of a hand can release the "stuck" feelings. There are people you can access to help you with this if a gentle hand isn't available right now.

I'm not sure I caught how long this has been an issue for you. Or how old you are. Sometimes the beginning of new awareness can cause initial numbness.

It could be the end of a life phase for you and the beginning of a new one, so it doesn't necessarily need to be viewed as a negative thing. I have to say that I'm impressed with your level of self-awareness. And your openness about this. That's a good start.

I'd have to know more about what's going on in your life to be any more helpful than those observations.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer