• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Thou shalt not judge, lest be judged yourself"

T

ThatGirl

I dont usually talk about other people. I almost always referenece myself to make distinctions.

Unless its a proven fact at the moment. Because another moment can really change things.

T

ThatGirl

Is it really that hard to believe there are non judgemental people?

This would explain why I took a morality/judgment test and scored severly disturbed. I should link that test.

I compartmentalize between situations and people. That was smart, that doesn't mean he is smart.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Thou shalt not judge? What the hell? Judging=how you make decisions!

Religious people should not be giving advice. It is the largest hypocrisy ever. Who are they to hand out ideas when they believe in stuff thousands of years old and can't think for themselves?

redacted

Judgment is unavoidable. Categorization is just part of cognition, whether you like it or not. You can consciously fight it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If you're talking about something other than categorization, maybe that's where this argument is coming from.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Why is it wrong to formulate an opinion about someone? For example, would you let a pedophile run a daycare?

T

ThatGirl

A pedophile can try to run a day care but that doesnt mean I would let my child go to it, that is caution. At the same time I cant say that a child going to the day care would get molested.

Religion does not equal judgment as much as judgment does not equal religion.

Catagorization is on many levels not just that is and that is not. There is a way to catagorize between what I see, what I think, who they are, what they think, what they are capable of, what they would react upon, what I believe they are capable of, what I believe they would react upon. Those almost never match up to true consistant judgment. There is only theory and theory can be flawed. It is not wise to hold someone accountable to your theory.

redacted

Wait wait wait, how do you distinguish between "what they are capable of" and "what you think they are capable of"?

T

ThatGirl

through the simple recognition of patterns.

This is what this is capable of under these cirumstances. That does not always mean that is how the person will react under such cirumstances. There are always several different options to circumstance. But it doesn't change the capability. Everything is decided by personal choice. Therefore if I cannot say for certain, this is what you WILL do, I cannot classify the person to my perception. If I dissaprove of what they may do I can only choose to adjust myself accordingly, but I cannot hold them accountable for that because it is my choice.

LucrativeSid

You can make judgments in order make decisions and you can judge people on a personal level.

If you're the doing second, it's not that big of a deal, because most people do it. Judging someone on a personal level causes you to examine what you don't like in someone else, and this will either cause you to become more egotistical, or it will enable you to see what you don't like within yourself so you can fix it. Either way, you're progressing in whichever direction you've chosen.

I judge people, I suppose, but I would never assume that my assessment is flawless, and I'm always willing to change my mind.

I expect people to judge me. That's why we have brains.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My judgement has my own twist, but..

..do you ever "judge" people? Is it ok to do so? Why, or why not? Why shouldn't you judge someone? How does judging/not judging manifest itself when taken to extremes?

I always judge people. I usually have my mind made up about how far I can go in a relationship with another person within the first few moments/seconds of meeting them. I'm wrong sometimes, so I don't use first reaction as a failsafe, but it has been accurate so far.

I judge people to find out stuff about them for my own use in my personal study of psychology, and I judge people to see how far I can take a relationship. I'm not going to spend days chasing a dead end trying to make friends with someone, if you know what I mean? I also judge on the basis of religion (Gasp) because I know that people have prejudices attached to their religions. And these prejudices affect your interactions with people. I tend to analyze a lot of factors, and one thing that's important to me is intelligence. It might seem harsh and as if I'm putting off a lot of people, and it might be that way. But I like to have someone that I can speak to on my own level, otherwise I just feel shut up inside myself without any way of expressing. When someone judges in an extreme, I think that boundaries tend to be overlooked. (Interesting that I should talk about boundaries, as I'm not too good at defining these myself, lol.) People have a right to their own opinions and ways of doing things, whether or not they're right or wrong. When not judging is taken to an extreme, you become a door mat I think, if you're the kind of person who makes your judgments externally seen.

Also, the title you chose is interesting, because it's merely a matter of cause and effect. If you judge someone else, of course they're going to want to get back at you and judge you too to feel vindicated :p.

redacted

through the simple recognition of patterns.

This is what this is capable of under these cirumstances. That does not always mean that is how the person will react under such cirumstances. There are always several different options to circumstance. But it doesn't change the capability. Everything is decided by personal choice. Therefore if I cannot say for certain, this is what you WILL do, I cannot classify the person to my perception. If I dissaprove of what they may do I can only choose to adjust myself accordingly, but I cannot hold them accountable for that because it is my choice.

I'm just saying, if you conclude "this person is capable of x", you're making a judgment. There is no objective or measurable concept called "capability".

Also, simple recognition of patterns necessarily includes judgment. If you have some other definition, that's probably why I keep disagreeing with you.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the big thing is what do you base your judgements on? Making judgments bases on words and actions of people seem solid. For example judging someone negatively because they are insulting, bullying and short tempered. Making judgements based on superficial things like personal appearance or music taste is problematic. For example judging someone negatively because they have tattooes and like heavy metal music.

Ilah

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Judgment is unavoidable. Categorization is just part of cognition, whether you like it or not. You can consciously fight it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Yup.

People have to make "judgments" (or have "opinions") in order to survive, as well as have motivation to do anything in life.

You couldn't even vote in an election if you didn't make a "judgment."

As a Ji type, I realize I am constantly making assessments of everything around me. But I don't consider myself judgmental because I am also constantly taking in new information and updating -- I don't hold onto a past judgment just because I want to, it changes as soon as I get more information.

And I think the "judgmental" attitude also involves how we treat others and whether we seem to think ourselves intrinsically better than them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
OP, what are you quoting?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with that judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mathew 7:1,2 KJV

It sucks being human...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My judgement has my own twist, but..

..do you ever "judge" people? Is it ok to do so? Why, or why not? Why shouldn't you judge someone? How does judging/not judging manifest itself when taken to extremes?

I'm pretty famously unjudgemental... which is why I tend to get a lot of people on whom society looks down coming to me for understanding in RL. i've been through so much myself and found myself in situations I never would've chosen to be in, and looked down upon by others because of my misfortunes... I know better than to judge a person...

though it's as much from just a total vacuum where my values should be, as from any noble sorta Christian sentiments... I tend to view most things I encounter in a pretty neutral light and I guess the closest i come to judging anything is to judge it as useful or not useful, the worst judgement being 'counterproductive'. I guess the only 'value' as such that I have is that I think people should try to think about the effects of their choices on others and try to avoid harming others unnecessarily. But if someone fails in that regard, I still wouldn't judge them as BAD or evil... usually either misguided or a little dumb, but those aren't bad things to me, I mean they don't make someone a bad person.

yeah... I guess it takes quite a lot for me to actually think someone is a bad person. I've had some people in my life treat me pretty badly, but I still don't think of them as bad, so much as sorta disturbed... and pity them...

T

ThatGirl

Awwwwe f*ck it. Im a pretty judgmental bitch.

You all suck. lol hehehehehehehehe!!!!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with that judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mathew 7:1,2 KJV

It sucks being human...
Okay. I was judging him for mangling the quote and judging rightly, I see. :laugh:

IMO, it's hard not to judge, but when we do, we need to be open to new information, ready to reevaluate our conclusions, and be as merciful and considerate as we can manage despite how we may feel or what judgments we've made.