MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    My judgement has my own twist, but..

..do you ever "judge" people? Is it ok to do so? Why, or why not? Why shouldn't you judge someone? How does judging/not judging manifest itself when taken to extremes?
    I always judge people. I usually have my mind made up about how far I can go in a relationship with another person within the first few moments/seconds of meeting them. I'm wrong sometimes, so I don't use first reaction as a failsafe, but it has been accurate so far.

I judge people to find out stuff about them for my own use in my personal study of psychology, and I judge people to see how far I can take a relationship. I'm not going to spend days chasing a dead end trying to make friends with someone, if you know what I mean? I also judge on the basis of religion (Gasp) because I know that people have prejudices attached to their religions. And these prejudices affect your interactions with people. I tend to analyze a lot of factors, and one thing that's important to me is intelligence. It might seem harsh and as if I'm putting off a lot of people, and it might be that way. But I like to have someone that I can speak to on my own level, otherwise I just feel shut up inside myself without any way of expressing. When someone judges in an extreme, I think that boundaries tend to be overlooked. (Interesting that I should talk about boundaries, as I'm not too good at defining these myself, lol.) People have a right to their own opinions and ways of doing things, whether or not they're right or wrong. When not judging is taken to an extreme, you become a door mat I think, if you're the kind of person who makes your judgments externally seen.

Also, the title you chose is interesting, because it's merely a matter of cause and effect. If you judge someone else, of course they're going to want to get back at you and judge you too to feel vindicated :P.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    through the simple recognition of patterns.

This is what this is capable of under these cirumstances. That does not always mean that is how the person will react under such cirumstances. There are always several different options to circumstance. But it doesn't change the capability. Everything is decided by personal choice. Therefore if I cannot say for certain, this is what you WILL do, I cannot classify the person to my perception. If I dissaprove of what they may do I can only choose to adjust myself accordingly, but I cannot hold them accountable for that because it is my choice.
    I'm just saying, if you conclude "this person is capable of x", you're making a judgment. There is no objective or measurable concept called "capability".

Also, simple recognition of patterns necessarily includes judgment. If you have some other definition, that's probably why I keep disagreeing with you.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think the big thing is what do you base your judgements on? Making judgments bases on words and actions of people seem solid. For example judging someone negatively because they are insulting, bullying and short tempered. Making judgements based on superficial things like personal appearance or music taste is problematic. For example judging someone negatively because they have tattooes and like heavy metal music.

Ilah

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Judgment is unavoidable. Categorization is just part of cognition, whether you like it or not. You can consciously fight it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Yup.

People have to make "judgments" (or have "opinions") in order to survive, as well as have motivation to do anything in life.

You couldn't even vote in an election if you didn't make a "judgment."

As a Ji type, I realize I am constantly making assessments of everything around me. But I don't consider myself judgmental because I am also constantly taking in new information and updating -- I don't hold onto a past judgment just because I want to, it changes as soon as I get more information.

And I think the "judgmental" attitude also involves how we treat others and whether we seem to think ourselves intrinsically better than them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Judge correctly, and I have no problems with it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

OP, what are you quoting?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with that judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mathew 7:1,2 KJV

It sucks being human...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Prime View Post
    My judgement has my own twist, but..

..do you ever "judge" people? Is it ok to do so? Why, or why not? Why shouldn't you judge someone? How does judging/not judging manifest itself when taken to extremes?
    I'm pretty famously unjudgemental... which is why I tend to get a lot of people on whom society looks down coming to me for understanding in RL. i've been through so much myself and found myself in situations I never would've chosen to be in, and looked down upon by others because of my misfortunes... I know better than to judge a person...

though it's as much from just a total vacuum where my values should be, as from any noble sorta Christian sentiments... I tend to view most things I encounter in a pretty neutral light and I guess the closest i come to judging anything is to judge it as useful or not useful, the worst judgement being 'counterproductive'. I guess the only 'value' as such that I have is that I think people should try to think about the effects of their choices on others and try to avoid harming others unnecessarily. But if someone fails in that regard, I still wouldn't judge them as BAD or evil... usually either misguided or a little dumb, but those aren't bad things to me, I mean they don't make someone a bad person.

yeah... I guess it takes quite a lot for me to actually think someone is a bad person. I've had some people in my life treat me pretty badly, but I still don't think of them as bad, so much as sorta disturbed... and pity them...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

ThatGirl

Awwwwe f*ck it. Im a pretty judgmental bitch.

You all suck. lol hehehehehehehehe!!!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with that judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mathew 7:1,2 KJV

It sucks being human...
    Okay. I was judging him for mangling the quote and judging rightly, I see.

IMO, it's hard not to judge, but when we do, we need to be open to new information, ready to reevaluate our conclusions, and be as merciful and considerate as we can manage despite how we may feel or what judgments we've made.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers