User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default N's: beating around the bush

I came across this comment in the S vs N thread and it immediately triggered thoughts in my head and explanations as to why (apart from the specific question actually BEING the point) it might appear this way...

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I like this board, but sometimes Ns can be very annoying about getting to the point too. They ask really vague questions when they want to know about solutions to very specific problems. For example, an opening post might ask about why ESFPs are flighty, but a few posts later the real question would turn out to be "How do I get this ESFP to pay attention to me?". (An exaggeration, but common phenomenon.)
    I know this has to do with the way N's think - or at least, I do - being to solve problems and explore solutions and methods etc by linking something specific to as many other things as possible, in order to gain a bigger general picture.

But I'm having a bad vocabulary day today and seem unable to articulate what it is I'm thinking properly. Anyone care to input?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh, a word just came to me: leverage. It's all about leverage for N's, isn't it? Or is that just me? You know, the reason we're more interested in 'why ESFP's are flighty' than asking 'how do I get this ESFP to notice me' is because the general idea is that when you understand the whys and hows of something, it enables you to know exactly where to apply leverage in order to achieve the desired effect.

No?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

agreeing with the second post there

I prefer to ask a question that appears more vague, I suppose, because I want a more universally applicable answer to the question as opposed to an explanation of a specific phenomonon. It's just a manner of being more efficient
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

yeah that's it - one eye on the future possibilities all the time isn't it? like never just thinking 'how can I solve this specific problem right now' but more like 'how is this specific problem linked to other things that happen more generally, and how can get the maximum learning experience from it so as to be armed against future events?'

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I don't think I tergiversate intentionally. Often, I ask broad questions because I'm not sure entirely what it is I want to know yet. Sometimes I even ask stacked questions because in order to know what it is I want to know, I have to hear myself ask it or it doesn't count yet. As NF, I find the point is the process of understanding and the rapport. I like the discussion more than the outcome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    yeah that's it - one eye on the future possibilities all the time isn't it?
    Definitely! You never know what may come of it. It's better to keep the questions broad because you never know what people will say... why limit them?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelinpa View Post
    I don't think I tergiversate intentionally.
    +1 for wanton sesquipedalianism

I like the discussion more than the outcome.
    yes, it's what you learn from it that's more the point than just getting what you want right now?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Well, yes and no. Because I do get what I want in the immediate... the interesting conversation! The new viewpoints!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelinpa View Post
    Well, yes and no. Because I do get what I want in the immediate... the interesting conversation! The new viewpoints!
    Ha, yeah... whether or not the ESFP notices you becomes of secondary importance... "what's happening now" just never quite seems as interesting a topic for N's as "what could happen in the future"

perhaps sometimes we're too busy future-proofing ourselves to notice the present

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Perhaps it's because if you ask a very specific question online the thread tumbles to the bottom with zero replies. That's been my experience.