• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

N's: beating around the bush

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
what of people who continue to have such a high opinion of their own thinking but cant manage to succeed in achieving what they want in life or solving problems that other, less "enlightened" people have less trouble with?

uh... are you saying N's have a monopoly on this? cos I can assure you, they don't...

I mean, basket cases come in all shapes and sizes, I don't see what that has to do with the price of fish...?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
uh... are you saying N's have a monopoly on this? cos I can assure you, they don't...

I mean, basket cases come in all shapes and sizes, I don't see what that has to do with the price of fish...?

^ ninja edit

i dont think this has anything to do with intuition or sensing, it just seems like self-identified intuitives do it more often.

really, anyone who allows themselves to be "right" without any sort of objectivity gets on my nerves because i put a lot of thought on practicality and objective measurement into anything i claim with certainty

this is why we have the scientific method. i dont have a problem with theories, i just dont like it when they get promoted by their creator to full blown scientific law, just cause they "know" or "have a feeling" :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what happens when two intuitive thoughts disagree? :thinking:

this is sort of my beef with it. i have no problem with generating ideas, but everybody has ideas and the difference between good ones and bad ones is up to reality, not the person who came up with them.

after all, reality is ultimately what we all have in common, and if someone wants their ideas to hold value to other people then they will need to show validity there somehow.

Reality is subjective.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
really, anyone who allows themselves to be "right" without any sort of objectivity gets on my nerves because i put a lot of thought on practicality and objective measurement into anything i claim with certainty

I think we can all agree that pompous blowhards suck balls regardless of type... :cool:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think we can all agree that pompous blowhards suck balls regardless of type... :cool:

i wouldnt call it that, and i would say its fairly common even if they dont use those very words. some people take more responsibility for accuracy than others

Reality is subjective.

by my definition, reality is all that isn't subjective, which can be determined through pattern observation. most people probably wouldnt argue that humans dont need to breathe oxygen to survive for prolonged periods of time because we have plenty of examples that most sane people will agree prove otherwise. someone will always say that anything is possible, but i dont see them putting a plastic bag over their head anytime soon.

i, too, wish we lived in a world without rules (i dont like them after all) but i wont deny that everything fits together in only one way that holds true no matter how much testing you subject it to. the question is whether it is more important for people to really find out what that is or merely appear as if they have. some of the best scientists will probably never get recognized because their dedication to the rigors of the process means that they wont find an answer in their lifetime.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
this is why we have the scientific method. i dont have a problem with theories, i just dont like it when they get promoted by their creator to full blown scientific law, just cause they "know" or "have a feeling" :)

Hmm... but doesn't the scientific method itself begin with a theory, an idea, a "what if?" inspiration that's then discussed and taken to the lab to be proven, disproven or adapted?

If I were to claim some theory I had about say, social science for example, were infallibly correct because I 'just knew', you'd be dead right in calling me on it.

But if I were to say a theory I had about something pertaining to my own personal life, where I'm the key player and am the ultimate authority with regard to the dynamics from my POV between myself and another person, surely on this level, subjectivity is allowed??

Are you sure that you don't have a bit of anti-N bias in there somewhere? it just sorta seems like you're saying in your belief N's don't value objective reasoning... which would sorta fly in the face of NT being generally held to be the 'scientific' temperament...??

After all, intuition is about data gathering, not processing. T/F is the objective/subjective dichotomy, not S/N.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Hmm... but doesn't the scientific method itself begin with a theory, an idea, a "what if?" inspiration that's then discussed and taken to the lab to be proven, disproven or adapted?

If I were to claim some theory I had about say, social science for example, were infallibly correct because I 'just knew', you'd be dead right in calling me on it.

But if I were to say a theory I had about something pertaining to my own personal life, where I'm the key player and am the ultimate authority with regard to the dynamics from my POV between myself and another person, surely on this level, subjectivity is allowed??

Are you sure that you don't have a bit of anti-N bias in there somewhere? it just sorta seems like you're saying in your belief N's don't value objective reasoning... which would sorta fly in the face of NT being generally held to be the 'scientific' temperament...??

After all, intuition is about data gathering, not processing. T/F is the objective/subjective dichotomy, not S/N.

i dont care to even categorize people into type, i am simply expressing my frustration for people who exhibit this type of behavior. my experiences are that a lot of the big picture thinkers are more prone to doing it (perhaps because they dont like to get bogged down in what they consider to be unimportant details?) but it's irrelevant to the fact that i find that behavior annoying and why.

even if were prone to letting personal agenda play a part in my opinion, i still consider myself a fairly intuitive person and know lots of what i can only guess would be N-types that i consider to be intelligent (even if were not always on the same page) :)

i have to agree with PT in the sense that a balance is required, but often times the importance of the boundaries created by having to prove the concrete validity of ideas is under-emphasized next to imagination when this is the only way we can separate good ideas from invalid ones.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Woah PT, you've had some seriously bad experiences at the hands of some crazy N's by the sounds of it... :mellow:

Not so much :) Ok, well, I have ;) But I meant that I don't mean that every N is a fringe case that drives me nuts. Only in particular cases where the N is strong, and they are stubborn.

The difference depends on the situation!

Ah yes, your research and facts would've been very very welcome in the bullying thread, I can tell you that. By me, at least, obviously I can't speak for anyone else but ... you're wrong though that this really is always the end of the discussion. If 'the facts' were always the end of a discussion then nobody would ever go in search of NEW facts.

They would be welcome now, but they generally are *not* reflected upon if I simply put out the data. I don't mean this as a bad thing, or a comment beyond what it says. My style is particular and I know it. And really, what is the point of just delivering information? I mean, there are textbooks of information that could explain it all, so at some point the answer would just be "read thousands of pages of theories and data instead of talk about it". All it does is interrupt the flow of thought, but that flow of thought here is very N. I have a very different response when I'm at a hobby forum, or DIY forum. There, actual solutions and data is like a glass of water.

That's mostly what I'm highlighting - not that we don't both theorize, just that we do it in different amounts/times. And since it is only the differences being talked about, it sounds like fringe cases, and seems larger than it is. Most of us are likely pretty balanced individuals, but that doesn't mean the gap in preferences don't come out.

Besides, the difference is related. It's like type 1 and type 2 statistical errors. You gain more coverage, at the expense of less defined theories. I gain more defined theories, but at the expense of coverage.

(The big ones for me are bullying, IQ and stereotyping - since I care very much about those topics, things tend to go downhill when I impose ;) )

I just can't help thinking when I hear things like that, you know, sure, that's what people said about the sun going round the earth once...

Exactly. But at the same time, I don't really want you to (common stereotype) be working with my engine and theorizing on new designs at the same time. And it doesn't mean you couldn't work on an engine, or that I couldn't theorize the design of one.

It's just that there will be more cases where I would rather not be designing an engine, and more cases where you don't want to be talking about dismantling (x) engine.

Even though we do use both and both serve a function, it doesn't mean that we serve it well together/same situations/etc. And both taken too far (ie: the earth is supported by a giant turtle a few elephants)... it doesn't work either.

But there's always room for doubting those things, for me.

Oh, we are both still Ps, believe me. There is no clear line to draw - each person is different. That's the price of a generality.

I can handle abstractions and imperfect theories - MBTI comes to mind ;) But that doesn't matter too much to me because (as I'm sure we both do) I also don't have a problem defining the limits of a theory, and simply not using it.

And we are both very similar in the whole impulse-thinky way. One day I'll be designing my Wii project, the next designing water fountains, then sketching personal submarines. In a literal "this month" kind of way... but I'm similar with the projects I have in the physical world (which all of those lead into).I am not, however, generally looking at abstract concepts. I'm designing circuits, not religion. I'm not reading about MBTI, I'm reading marketing psychology. I don't care about naval architecture, I care about getting my sub underwater with me in it (saftey optional!).

In each of those cases, when an INTP says "wouldn't it be cool", I want to stop them and ask - we'll talk about this, but first, can it be built now? Should I take you seriously?

What if one of my 10% was a cure for AIDS?

Which one...? Want to try all of the different theories on humans to find out?

This is just to relate to the type 1 and 2 errors in statistics :D

oh yeah and... I didn't really wanna go into it a great deal unless others felt it was warranted, but there is a lot of research that's been done into the intuition process and how in fact, perhaps it has more basis in fact than given credit for... y'know, the idea of subconsciously taken-in data that the brain sifts through on a subconscious level to reach an instant conclusion that you 'just know', without being able to explain why?

This is where I break out Step II to talk about defining intuition within the context of MBTI ;) And by that, I mean, intuitive by MBTI doesn't have to mean 'intuitive'. If anything, 'intuitive' means 'smart P', and I might even say "experience" rather than that.

I would hazard a guess that once you remove ability (IQ) from the equation, preferences would show better 'in tunement' (bwahah) along the items they are most familiar with. Small intuitive leap, right? ;) But really, I wouldn't be trusting intuition in probability, nor when taking apart my engine for the first time. But I would trust a mechanic telling me something, but he doens't know what, is wrong with my car just by looking at it.

Doesn't the scientific method itself begin with a theory

I think it normally begins with an observation, because the fundamental requirement for science to be science is to have a testable hypothesis. That is, it has to explain something, which is normally an observation first.

ygolo

My termites win
Intersting discussion.

I am finding that I can relate to both sides quite well even though I am an N.

To be honest, I actually have an easier time understanding what the S's are saying than the N's (poor subs.) I think substitute's main aim was to get S's to air greivences, but I may be mistaken.

Unfortunately, only three S's have had significant participation in this thread.

Please correct me is I am sumarizing improperly, but I also see three main greivences.

1) Dislike of general questions and discussions when more specific ones would be more direct.

2) Dislike of people speculating.

3) Dislikes the lack of value placed on reality testing.

Is that a good summary?

If so, I would like to convey my perspective on each item.

1) I mentioned the inventor's paradox earlier. But it means more than just leverage. It is about the elucidation of "principles." This is one of my chief aims and gratfications in life. I have no further need nor desire for those priciples to be used for anything--though using them brings great joy also.

When it comes down to it, what is "parctical" is subjective. What is the point of doing anything? Is playing cards or games "practical?"--many would say not. What about whatching movies or TV shows? What is the point of climbing a mountain? What, even, is the point of being alive?--what practical purpose does it serve?

I believe, we are simply doing what we want to do. I know this may do nothing about the dislike of a particular activity. But keep in mind what it would be like if someone turned off your favorite show--there ought to be a good reason.

2) All percieved reality is speculative. To believe differently is delusion. Granted, some speculation is downright ridiculous, and that type bugs me too (unless we just B.S.ing anyway).

Illusions exist. Experience is limited. Data is often doctored, mismeasured, or misrepresented. Objectivity is nothing more than the repeatability of subjective experience. Please let me know which of those statements you disagree with.

3) Perhaps it is my technical background, but I found myself sharing many of the sentiments of Grayscale and pt on this matter. One of my favorite phrases at work is "if it isn't tested, it doesn't work" (an exageration, but not far from the truth).

(Please note that I am also rather busy at work, and will not likely respond again till late tomorrow)

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
When I ask questions, I tend to be very precise in how I ask them because I usually already have some idea as to what the answer might be, and I'm trying to lead the person into framing their answer in a way that I can understand it, to learn something new. When I theorize, I can be /extremely/ vague at times, lol. And I love to speculate based on synthetic experienced derived from my imagination. And I also understand trying to comprehend something by linking it to as many other things as possible to gain the bigger picture. I had a class in Electronics once with an ISTJ professor. He kept piling detail upon detail with us, so much so that we got lost in the detail and I was unable to find the main point of what he was saying. I remember asking him for analogies at times, but he admitted that he sucked at analogies. He could do one, or maybe two occasionally, and they weren't all that good :p.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't see XNTJs as beating around the bush. They tend to be more "to the point" then anyone I know. Sometimes moreso then XSTJs.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah well, I did say all the way through that I'm suffering from severe lack of sleep and so can't really get my brain in gear lately...

I wasn't really intending for a blow by blow dissection of the N's way of thinking... by its very nature it's going to be more difficult to express than the S way so already we're at a disadvantage!!

Like I say, I was more hoping that other N's would be able to express in a better way than I could, why we do what Colors said she felt frustrated by, in the hopes it would illustrate that we're not 'just making things up' or avoiding talking about reality for some kind of unbalanced/stupid purpose.

The reason it piqued my interest in the first place is because I've had a lifetime of being told I talk shit and then having my 'shit' played out and proven right, and then people STILL don't apologize or trust me next time. There's always method to my madness, it sorta hurts though to have all my thinking put down to either personality flaws or lack of knowledge. There's a reason why N's choose to do things the N way when we could do it the S way...

PT I'm cool with what you say :) It's basically a case of 'we need both, and THIS is MY one!' that's fair enough.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The reason it piqued my interest in the first place is because I've had a lifetime of being told I talk shit and then having my 'shit' played out and proven right, and then people STILL don't apologize or trust me next time. There's always method to my madness, it sorta hurts though to have all my thinking put down to either personality flaws or lack of knowledge. There's a reason why N's choose to do things the N way when we could do it the S way...
"How glorious, and how painful to be the exception" --R. Crumb, possible paraphrase.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely beat around the bush, insofar as I do not come to the point directly. In order to discover an answer, I have to jump from A to D to Z to S to B.

This confuses the shit out of people almost all of the time, so I had to avoid this while teaching. It took a lot of prep time to teach my classes at first to avoid this tendency. Teaching has enabled me to sort of refine my thoughts a bit and not be so wordy.

So has years of getting Bs on papers for having a "well-written, well-structured, grammatically flawless paper with no thesis." Uh yeah, things like that frustrated the hell out of me.

After a while, you learn how to invest the time and effort to organize your thoughts and ideas, but I have to admit, the Te does not come to me naturally. I had to develop it, and it was only until I was in college that I learned how to develop my Te to a degree where OTHER people were asking me to correct THEIR papers. One day it was like BOOOOOM!!!! I got it. And I wondered, "What the hell was wrong with me for all those years?!?!?!" Then I started criticizing papers for the same mistakes *I* had always made.

But as you can see, when I am not doing academic writing, I slip back into my old Ne habits of flitting from one topic and idea to the next with no real rhyme or rhythm (except for me - but that's not exactly helpful in communication).

So yeah...hmm...what was my point? Oh yeah, right. Yes, I do beat around the bush. :D

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP

Life would be easier for everyone if they would just accept that I know what the f*** I'm talking about. :yes:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Little Linguist - Te's not a problem for me. I can structure with the best of 'em. Well, almost with the best of 'em, I had a live-in ENTJ for a while that saw to that... it's the S part that's my problem!! I've an ISTP and ISTJ in my garage though, heh, and they're gradually helping me out with that as I'm helping them out with a bit of Spongebob action... haha... still a long way to go though on both sides!

563 740 - you don't know how many times I've wanted to say that. Very loudly.
Joking aside though... of course I don't expect a stranger or colleague or something to take me seriously without evidence to back me up, that'd be unreasonable, especially if the person has no or limited previous experience of my methods - and results. But if we're talking about someone who's known me for years, I would've thought that by now they could've noticed that though my methods and stuff might look a bit fuzzy from where they're standing, they can't really deny that I get results. Good ones. And learn to trust me. But yet... they often don't... :(

It can go both ways though... for example, when I let my ESFP sister take care of something for me, I had to trust that she knew what she was doing even though to me, it seemed like she was acting on impulse dictated purely by what was in front of her senses, without consideration of longterm effects or how what she was doing fitted into the bigger picture. And that was very difficult for me to do.

edit - but the particular point made in the quote I put in the OP, or the point it brought up in my mind was that here, the N isn't even being trusted to know how to handle THEIR OWN LIFE, to know or be able to judge what information they need, what's relevant to a situation... ?!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
So has years of getting Bs on papers for having a "well-written, well-structured, grammatically flawless paper with no thesis." Uh yeah, things like that frustrated the hell out of me.

I had the opposite problem. I would get to the point too fast without all the flowery window dressing words, and the teacher would be like "it has to be 500 words", so I'd have to repeat the words "Screw Flanders" at the end of it, over and over and over again.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry sub, but all this "beatin' around the bush" has to do with all you I/ENTPs.

You and your Ti-driven tirelessly tidy, meticulous attempts to tinker out the tiniest of details into tenuous tissues of "coherent", titanic meaning can render the rest of us in somewhat of a tizzy!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sorry sub, but all this "beatin' around the bush" has to do with all you I/ENTPs.

You and your Ti-driven tirelessly tidy, meticulous attempts to tinker out the tiniest of details into tenuous tissues of "coherent", titanic meaning can render the rest of us in somewhat of a tiizzy!

:D

Guilty as charged for the most part.
Entirely innocent of the bold parts :D