User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    We've defined this set of symptoms as ADD, as a mental disability. But what about other people? What if they're just stupid? Why can't we label them as "stupid", a mental disability? Why shouldn't they get extra time on tests?
    The theory is that a bit of accommodation will substantially enhance your ability to achieve a high level of success in your life. A stupid person would not have the same potential.

MBTI
    INTP

I wonder how many Sensors have "ADHD"?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Bah everyone misunderstands what I'm saying. I want to pull a nocapszy and call half of you idiots.

I'm not talking about the legitimacy of ADD. I'm talking about the implications of diagnosis, and the unfairness.

Every time I say ADD, you can replace it with "some arbitrary threshold on the spectrum of being able to pay attention to random things".

MBTI
    ENTP

Bah everyone misunderstands what I'm saying. I want to pull a nocapszy and call half of you idiots.

I'm not talking about the legitimacy of ADD. I'm talking about the implications of diagnosis, and the unfairness.

Every time I say ADD, you can replace it with "some arbitrary threshold on the spectrum of being able to pay attention to random things".
    Thread drift, imo.

I don't particularly feel like the advantages are as big as you think they are. If someone is in fact "stupid", extra testing time isn't going to change anything; they either understand the problems or they don't.
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    ADD is of course a fake disease. It is not written anywhere that humans "should" be able to concentrate on particular tasks for very extended periods of time.
    Not to derail the thread, but true ADD is pure physiological chemical differences. An absurd amount of doctors misdiagnose it, which makes people think it's fake. True ADD can be recognized with a brain scan, they just aren't going to scan a whole bunch of six-year-old boys who can't sit still in class. Much easier to medicate them, and hope it does the trick.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I think withholding the drugs has more to do with their controversial nature, and they're only prescribed because they've been shown to relieve the negative symptoms...

If people being unequal in ability is an okay thing, then I see no reason why people who get add meds are being treated unfairly or those who aren't are being treated in a bad way. I wouldn't want to be responsible for coming up with some way to determine who deserves how much of an advantage in order to bring them up with everyone else. The reason it's treated is probably more like, "we know how to help people in these situations, so we're going to." I understand feeling unokay with getting those advantages.

On the validity of add as a disorder, it's definitely real, and the most extreme cases are from obvious brain damage.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but true ADD is pure physiological chemical differences.
    Right, but why does it need to be a disease? Why should somebody perform well in school in long tasks that require concentration?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Who used the word disease? Not me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    A little speed makes everyone a little smarter. By speed I mean amphetamines and substitutes like methylphenidate.

I also see ADD as a made up illness, though some do have more trouble concentrating than others.
    That's basically my point. All mental illnesses are made up...

So either everyone should be able to take speed or no one should... I give mine away all the time for that reason. I find it unethical that I should have access to something that others don't have access to.

MBTI
    INTP

I've been diagnosed with ADD. My own opinion is that people with ADD are just very high on the N scale. We have very poorly developed Sensory function. An intuitive will see a tree and think of a dog because he saw a dog peeing on his favorite tree. A sensate person will see a tree and think of the colors, what it must feel like--all the physical characteristics of the tree.

It's not hard to see how in the class room this might be a problem for a student. The teacher is trying to teach something but the student's mind keeps drifting off topic. This was me in school. I was and still am "a dreamer".

MBTI
    ENTP

That's basically my point. All mental illnesses are made up...
    Ummm.... What?? Schizophrenics are just "extra imaginative", then? Manic depressives are just "hella emo"?

So either everyone should be able to take speed or no one should... I give mine away all the time for that reason. I find it unethical that I should have access to something that others don't have access to.
    I'm sorry you feel guilty about your meds, but I'm pretty damn sure most people would forgo "extra testing time" for "the ability to remember doctor appointments/be on time for things/not go through life as a total space cadet"...

If your core issue is that not everyone can get the controlled substances that you do, then just switch to something that isn't regulated like Strattera or rock it old school with coffee & cigarettes.
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!