• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The False Self

Mole

Permabanned
Our purpose here is to create a false self. And we have many tools to help us, not least is a seventy-five year old fake personality test. The next is the social environment that validates our false self. And the next interestingly is the policing of the false self and the phobia of originality.

The false self is surprisingly fragile and only survives in this hothouse of fakeness.

Interestingly the false self seems normal here.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do we distinguish a false self from the true self?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't believe that it is our purpose to be false. Why would that be? Being fake is only to protect ourselves and our fragile image from premature judgment of our true selves. We would rather have immediate judgment on something false, which is like a barrier.

If anything, to grow and learn is really how I see it.

I feel as if you don't believe what you're saying, but you're wanting the forum to say the opposite which is in essence, your true message.. right?

Mole

Permabanned
I feel as if you don't believe what you're saying, but you're wanting the forum to say the opposite which is in essence, your true message.. right?

I am a person discovering his true self in an environment of false selves.

So at this time it is important for me to see the false selves around me, but even more important is to have the courage to listen to my true self and bring it out into the world.

I am realising though that on Typology Central I am struggling against the tide, this has the advantage of building my strength against the false self, but the disadvantage of taking my attention away from my true self.

Of course my true self fears being attacked by the conformists of the false self, so in a way I am testing myself against a hostile environment to see if I can survive. So far I don't know the answer.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My false self is undeniably cooler than your false selves.

Permabanned
My false self is undeniably cooler than your false selves.