User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Obsession

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Obsession

I'm not certain this is where this thread belongs, but at the moment it seems best.

I'm curious to know what anyone thinks on obsession.
    Perhaps if anyone is obsessed, maybe they'd elaborate, but not about your obsession -- I don't care about whatever you're obsessed with. I'm curious now about obsession itself.

I'm not talking about how girls obsess on their hair or someone might say "I'm obsessed with a fruit smoothie".
    I'm talking about the kind of obsession where normal life is impeded by insistent/recurring thoughts on a topic.
    The kind of obsessiveness that might be called a disorder by anyone with a psychology degree and a notable social life.

I want to leave the parameters pretty vague at the moment, but I'm not referring to the way most people apply the term colloquially.
    Partially I want it undecided so the participants will feel comfortable posting their own ideas as they are instead of alterred by whatever arbitrary filter I have.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am obsessed with human beings, and human nature, much to my detriment, unfortunately. :/

Oh, lol, that didn't answer your question at all.

Obsession, it is an interesting thing, it can be positive as it can be a strong source of motivation, but it can also be detrimental as it can hamper one's ability to see clearly and function normally.

A women who is obsessed with her weight will not be able to focus on anything but her body image and food, oh man, that would suck. :sad:
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I've always been obsessive. I obsess about something until something else comes up, then obsess about that. It's a strength and a weakness, and part of my personality. If you have a problem with it, then "too bad."

You know, I've read that 70% of all people are considered mentally ill if you go by book standards. Which is completely ridiculous. "Oh, please, save your life...'Cause you've only got one." --Smiths

Add: I actually had OCD for a year or two as a kid, but somehow grew out of it. Now that was a real problem.

MBTI
    INTP

I tend to get obsessed. I can become obsessed when I take on a project. I think about thinking about thinking about it, and even dream about it. I can see INTPs generally being obsessive types. I think so much that after a while I get burned out and move onto something else. If I know I don't want to lose interest I will try to pace myself by taking up other activities. My obsession with exercise has kind of alternated. The problem now is that I am becoming obsessed with saving time. I can't go to the gym because parking, getting up to the gym, changing, then changing again, showering, getting my car will take too much time. So I run around the block instead, but I can't stand the polution. The obsession with time does not actually make me more productive.

I also have a germ phobia. I carry around Isopropyl wipes. I sometimes pour Isopropyl solution over the Urinals and on the floor around the Urinals, and on toilet seats even though I don't sit on toilet seats. But I just realized that Isopropyl solution is not all that effective at killing viruses. So now I need another solution but I don't trust the chemicals in other solutions.

Is that obsessive enough? I could go on.

MBTI
    INXP

Idealist.

Knowing I wont meet my own standards stops me from doing anything.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ENTP

I have a close friend who suffers with pretty severe OCD which impinges on just about every aspect of his life and centres around an obsessive fear for a) his personal safety b) cleanliness (his own very unique definition of it) and c) his lack of confidence in his own ability to handle 'things'. Things like putting the trash out, having the landlord inspect the appartment once a year, a plumber coming to fix the heating, etc, these things cause him extreme anxiety so that he obsesses over them completely and utterly from the moment he's aware it's coming to often days after they've happened.

From what I can gather from his opening up to me and what he's told me about his sessions with psychiatrists, it seems this stems largely from an incredibly overbearing and critical father who seems to have instilled in him an impression that it's actually MORALLY wrong to be incorrect, to make a mistake. So he lives in total fear of making mistakes and becomes inert, and transfers all of the stress and guilt this causes him to 'trivial' worries and magnifies them out of all proportion. Little things that he can 'control', like if turning around three times in the doorway before he leaves makes him feel he's 'safe' against the possibility of there being dog turd on his doorstep that he doesn't notice, that's a lot easier than facing his fear of DOING something - anything at all, literally, even getting out of bed some days.

I can't think of any instance of myself ever being obsessed with anything, only in the colloquial sense of short-lived enthusiasms for a certain TV series, musician, author, whatever. I've never experienced this feeling of something taking over my life the way my friend does with his obsessive anxieties.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't think I have a actual obsession with anything. Oh from time to time I think slightly and my husband like to say things like...<gratuitous Blades of Glory quote> Y-y-y-you sex demon! You sex fiend! Impure! Impure!

But that's not what we're talking about here.

I have gotten very immersed in some things such as school and work and sometimes cooking and gardening but not to the point of obsession. I have some weird quirks but they aren't OCD either.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I'm not talking about how girls obsess on their hair or someone might say "I'm obsessed with a fruit smoothie".
    I'm talking about the kind of obsession where normal life is impeded by insistent/recurring thoughts on a topic.
    The kind of obsessiveness that might be called a disorder by anyone with a psychology degree and a notable social life.

I want to leave the parameters pretty vague at the moment, but I'm not referring to the way most people apply the term colloquially.
    Partially I want it undecided so the participants will feel comfortable posting their own ideas as they are instead of alterred by whatever arbitrary filter I have.
    You have to distinguish between obsessive thoughts that cause pain to their recipients (such as in obsessive-compulsive disorder) and obsessive thoughts that provide pleasure (at the cost of impeding other functions) such as certain types of autism or addiction, or for that matter obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.

In terms of the former, obsessive thoughts are caused by the inability of the mind to shut off anxiety-producing thoughts after the basis of such thoughts have been dismissed on rational grounds. The rational mind is well aware that such anxiety is either groundless or excessive, but that knowledge is prevented from affecting the emotional response to such thoughts due to fucked-up brain chemistry. Meanwhile, the brain refuses to let go of an obsession because it is designed to facilitate survival, which means not allowing oneself to be distracted from potential dangers that are serious enough to cause anxiety after rational consideration. Its utter fucking hell.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    From what I can gather from his opening up to me and what he's told me about his sessions with psychiatrists, it seems this stems largely from an incredibly overbearing and critical father who seems to have instilled in him an impression that it's actually MORALLY wrong to be incorrect, to make a mistake. So he lives in total fear of making mistakes and becomes inert, and transfers all of the stress and guilt this causes him to 'trivial' worries and magnifies them out of all proportion. Little things that he can 'control', like if turning around three times in the doorway before he leaves makes him feel he's 'safe' against the possibility of there being dog turd on his doorstep that he doesn't notice, that's a lot easier than facing his fear of DOING something - anything at all, literally, even getting out of bed some days.
    If he has obsessive-compulsive disorder, then his childhood issues would only affect the forms in which his obsessions/compulsions manifests-they would not be responsible for the disease itself. To combat the disorder he needs to learn how to treat obsessions in the generic sense rather than arrive at some Freudian breakthrough over a specific manifestation-or else a new set of crippling obsessions will emerge, and he is back where he started. If his psychiatrists tells him differently, then he needs to get a new one.

MBTI
    INTj

I have OCD.

Do you have any other questions?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight