User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Obsession

heart on fire

I have germ phobias that I try to cope with by educating myself on being food safe and such and then tell myself I've done the best I can and to quit worrying. For some reason that helps, like somehow it would be worse if I (or anyone who eats at my house) got sick from germs if it were a lack of my being careful.

It's worse when I am sleep deprived and it gets better when I take my vestibular suppressants.

And it's also hillarious because I really am a slob, just a slob with clean hot spots and no cross contamination in the kitchen.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

My form of "obsession" has to do with wanting to immerse myself in a person or thing and become so inundated that I'm feeling it/them all through me, to better understand, to better connect it to my Ni. The fever winds down, then flares back up, esp over something that truly has taken hold of me and won't be departing. As a little girl, I was obsessed with horses, like most little girls are, but it stuck forever. I see horses as greater than the sum of their parts, spiritual, psychic creatures. Horses delivered me from darkness. Any thing that flashes light, I cleave to, follow after, stare at and try to conjure.

Most obsessions are minor and harmless.

Someone with OCD is experiencing a terrible thing that controls their will. I watched people close to me struggle with it, to the point of tears and being unable to move. That's not obsession, that's illness.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Knowing I wont meet my own standards stops me from doing anything.
    Perfectly phrased. When a subject is play, I have no problems. Once I have expectations of myself, I freeze and fail to perform.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    And it's also hillarious because I really am a slob, just a slob with clean hot spots and no cross contamination in the kitchen.
    I don't have any particular phobia in the area of germs - in fact I might generally lean in the opposite direction. But after working twenty years for Coop Extension and digesting endless articles on food safety I am rather obsessive about cross-contamination and anything that comes out of my kitchen that will be consumed by others.

What is amusing is that the only times I became violently ill after potlucks was when I was taking a food education class. I doubt contamination was to blame (no one else got sick) but several of the participants were herbalists and the only thing I could narrow it down to was possibly lovage, the emetic potential of which (for some people) is well documented.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Idealist.

Knowing I wont meet my own standards stops me from doing anything.
    I have this same problem. I only do things when I have to, and even then I never put my heart into them. But I fail to see what this has to do with obsession. You are obsessed with perfection...?

My obsession is with computers, my life has essentially molded itself around them. At first it hindered me, I would be glued to my monitor or thinking about a game or a website all day long instead of focusing on school, but now I just have a healthy obsession and can live without them but prefer not to. I had OCD when I was little and have mild relapses, but I never really thought of it as an obsession...

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Not talking about OCD.
    Good so far otherwise thanks.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Not talking about OCD.
    *washes and rewashes Nocaps*
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by norepinephrine View Post
    I don't have any particular phobia in the area of germs - in fact I might generally lean in the opposite direction. But after working twenty years for Coop Extension and digesting endless articles on food safety I am rather obsessive about cross-contamination and anything that comes out of my kitchen that will be consumed by others...
    In my case the phobia is based on real things, growing up there was almost no attempt made in our kitchen as far as basic food safety and "stomach flu" was always passing through the house. As soon as I grew cognizant enough to realize what germs were and that there were ways to try and prevent food borne illness I became very interested in it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Not talking about OCD.
    If you want us to discuss whatever it is you're talking about, then you're going to have to provide some "arbitrary filters."

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Wanna bet?