User Tag List

First 233132333435 Last

Thread: Bullying

Any of you plan to see this documentary coming out: Bully?

My only fear about this growing communal cacophony against bullying is that people will be reactive rather than proactive and just criminalize the hell out of it rather than work out the various reasons this is happening and to encourage acceptance and compassion for others.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Before i started kindergarten i watched movies and shows where the hero stood up to the bullies, not only for themselves but for others. I decided that if i ever saw a bully i would be like the heroes. Whenever i got bullied in school I always fought back, which didn't help much but it made me feel better to know i wasn't just letting it happen. I would always get so mad at them when my friends got picked on. I could feel the adrenaline rush through me and my vision blur. I physically fought a girl who hurt my sister once. I'm probably not the typical INFP when it comes to bullies

i never believed in allowing myself to be the victim.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Luckily, my high school experience was pretty much bully free.

Middle school was another thing entirely. Our middle school was right next to the local high school. I used to walk between my middle school and high school to take classes. The high school students used to regularly pick on the middle school students (especially the middle school students who took classes at the HS). I remember a couple of incidents after which students were hospitalized after being beat up or knifed.

Being a 12-y.o in a class of 19-y.o.'s and pregnant teenagers is a unique experience to say the least. This is especially true when you are pretty much the smallest 12-y.o. in the middle school to begin with. I got away with just minor bruising from punches and things, and being stuffed in school lockers (scary, but usually, after enough knocking/knocking, someone would let you out).

One fairly memorable experience happened when I was babysitting my little brother while playing outside. Two kids from either the high-school, or among those who repeatedly failed middle school decided it would be fun to start trowing cherries at my brother (who was four at the time) and me. I protected my brother from getting hit. You'd be surprised how much cherries can hurt. I also did not want to back down or run away...I'm not sure why. They told me to run or leave, but I refused. They kept throwing cherries, till they got tired/bored of it and left. One of them, I overheard saying it was "boring", the other one was pretty nice to me from then on.

Elementary school had it's share of bullying too (I was pretty much the smallest person in class through most of school). But this was far less scary, as I remember.

I'm not sure what to make of it, or what advice I would give. I think the biggest thing I would change about my behavior was that I would have told adults about what was happening. I just thought facing bullies was part of growing up, and I pretty much told my younger sister this when she faced her own bullies (I regret that now). I used to walk home with her sometimes, so that she didn't face the bullies. But got tired of it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ

I was actually bullied in school several times. Although if the bullies had met me in my psychotic condition they would have wept their eyes of... yes, really!

MBTI
    INTP

It's clear that bullying is caused by mental illness. And that this illness needs to be managed/cured.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I think I'm going to sue all of my grammar school classmates for contributing towards all of my neurotic enneagram issues. :p
    6w7 Sx/Sp (621 or 612. Same diff :p).

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

whats a 'bully'?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozones View Post
    whats a 'bully'?
    An unfunny comedian.

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP