• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bullying

Mole

Permabanned
In democratic societies social control is no longer maintained by the gun. In democratic societies power no longer comes out of the barrel of a gun.

Instead of the gun social control is maintained by personal humiliation.
Humiliation is effective because it is internalized by the victim.

And the type of humiliation depends on where we are in the social hierarchy.

Personal humiliation is an improvement on the gun.

And personal humiliation underlies bullying, and more so with girls and women.

Mole

Permabanned
We have been bullied and intimidated by the trade-marked business of MBTI.

Yes, the trade-marked MBTI wrote to us and threatened us with legal action unless we changed our real name from Mbti Central to something else.

So we changed our name from Mbti Central to Typology Central. But let me say that typology is not the study of personality or psychological types. So it is simply a lie.

We are all voluntary members of this institution, some with more responsibilities than others, but each of us has some responsibility. So we are responsible for giving in to intimidation by trade-marked MBTI, and by living a lie as typology central.

Jaguar

We have been bullied and intimidated by the trade-marked business of MBTI.

Yes, the trade-marked MBTI wrote to us and threatened us with legal action unless we changed our real name from Mbti Central to something else.

So we changed our name from Mbti Central to Typology Central. But let me say that typology is not the study of personality or psychological types. So it is simply a lie.

We are all voluntary members of this institution, some with more responsibilities than others, but each of us has some responsibility. So we are responsible for giving in to intimidation by trade-marked MBTI, and by living a lie as typology central.

One can always walk away, Victor.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Bulling are coming from those with fake confidence so they need to invest their energy to proof that they don't have it. I am not talking about psycisal bulling, I am talking about more dengerous and destructible emotional bulling.

As a child I was victim of bullyng many times and as reault I would tear apart entair school and find justice for what they did to me. I have a lot of enemies in school because of that but also I was liked by all girls. And still girls have crush on my sexuality even when I don't want. It is just natural for me. 😊

Mole

Permabanned
One can always walk away, Victor.
Impossible, impossible to walk away from a traditional tribe, in fact ostracism is the greatest punishment a tribe can give. And this is equally true of electronic tribes in the global village.

Ever since the satellite Sputnik encircled our Earth, there is nowhere else to go.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Impossible, impossible to walk away from a traditional tribe, in fact ostracism is the greatest punishment a tribe can give. And this is equally true of electronic tribes in the global village.

Ever since the satellite Sputnik encircled our Earth, there is nowhere else to go.
Have you ever read Ursula LeGuin's "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"? Sometimes walking away from the tribe is the honorable thing to do.

Mole

Permabanned
Have you ever read Ursula LeGuin's "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"? Sometimes walking away from the tribe is the honorable thing to do.

I am familiar with Aussie tribes 65,000 years old. And to be ostricised from the tribe was a death sentence. Even the civilised Romans preferred death to exile. While ostracism can be a social and psychological death in identity politics.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am familiar with Aussie tribes 65,000 years old. And to be ostricised from the tribe was a death sentence. Even the civilised Romans preferred death to exile. While ostracism can be a social and psychological death in identity politics.
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Being ostracised from something you want no part of has little meaning, other than to make those doing the ostracising feel better.

And you didn't answer my question.

Mole

Permabanned
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Being ostracised from something you want no part of has little meaning, other than to make those doing the ostracising feel better. And you didn't answer my question.

The literate individual can walk away, and there are no literate individuals in traditional tribes, and increasingly there are less and less literate individuals in our new electronic tribes.

We take walking away for granted because we are literate individuals. It's as if we are wearing a burqa, or a horse with blinkers, or Ned Kelly in home made armour.

The literate individual drives forward looking in the rear vision mirror while the electronic tribe is rushing through the windshield.

Mole

Permabanned
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Being ostracised from something you want no part of has little meaning, other than to make those doing the ostracising feel better. And you didn't answer my question.

The literate individual can walk away, and there are no literate individuals in traditional tribes, and increasingly there are fewer and fewer literate individuals in our new electronic tribes.

We take walking away for granted because we are literate individuals. It's as if we are wearing a burqa, or a horse with blinkers, or Ned Kelly in home made armour.

The literate individual drives forward looking in the rear vision mirror while the electronic tribe is rushing through the windshield.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was bullied for the vast majority of my schooling experience, whether I deserved it or not is genuinely debatable. Unlike some of the other stories I was reading here, I wasn't really bullied for being shy or excessively passive or even because it was necessarily easy to bully me (although after awhile it became because of that). As a kid I was actually quite hardheaded and loud. I was bullied a lot for things I couldn't really control (ie. I had an undiagnosed sensory processing disability and had issues with my hips, which made me incredibly unathletic and uncoordinated), my general queerness, being self-absorbed to the point of inattentiveness and unrelatability, and for developing poor coping mechanisms to deal with my home life (ie. excessive reactivity, positivity/enthusiasm, and a hero complex). I suppose my general awkwardness and inattentiveness to gender roles/general culture also wasn't helpful.

When I say part of my bullying was my own fault, there was a point in time where I purposely went out of my way to involve myself in bullying matters that didn't concern me necessarily (to protect others in my mind at least) and, especially after the bullying began, my shield of arrogance and the semi-elitist intellectual complex. I genuinely was annoying because of these, and if I wasn't bullied they probably would've just intensified. It continued because I always responded strongly to bullies to the point where bullying me wasn't necessarily fun, but incredibly entertaining to others. Initially it didn't weigh on me at all since I a) wasn't really aware of how other people thought of me and b) didn't really care about others perception of me because of my brief period of having a strong identity. When my house life sort of self-destructed, I went down pretty quickly and sort of wallowed in my isolation that I didn't exactly understand.

Frankly, I dealt with it wrong. I got loud and reactive, I isolated, and I forcefully disappeared until I was certain no one would remember who I was or notice my presence (which actually worked, although that took at least 4 years to do). I've noted for some people, having a support system of sorts helps. Additionally, just being able to tell your kid that not everyone is bullied for a reason so at least they know it's really not them all the time causing the problem. Lines of communication generally can also help. Most of all though, people really need to communicate with their children where the line between bullying and comedy/practical jokes lies. Frankly, the best way to find solutions to why your being bullied is to know the why, assuming one exists at all.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The literate individual can walk away, and there are no literate individuals in traditional tribes, and increasingly there are fewer and fewer literate individuals in our new electronic tribes.

I disagree. The person who walks away leaves the tribe behind in the rear view mirror, and literacy is not required. This sort of striking off on one's own has been part of the "Hero's Journey", probably since there have been humans.

I was bullied for the vast majority of my schooling experience, whether I deserved it or not is genuinely debatable. Unlike some of the other stories I was reading here, I wasn't really bullied for being shy or excessively passive or even because it was necessarily easy to bully me (although after awhile it became because of that). As a kid I was actually quite hardheaded and loud. I was bullied a lot for things I couldn't really control (ie. I had an undiagnosed sensory processing disability and had issues with my hips, which made me incredibly unathletic and uncoordinated), my general queerness, being self-absorbed to the point of inattentiveness and unrelatability, and for developing poor coping mechanisms to deal with my home life (ie. excessive reactivity, positivity/enthusiasm, and a hero complex). I suppose my general awkwardness and inattentiveness to gender roles/general culture also wasn't helpful.
I was bullied, too, also for no good reason, but then there is never a good reason for bullying. I learned very fast not to let anyone push my buttons, which made it unsatisfying for the bullies, leaving ostracism as their only recourse. I sometimes wished I would be included, until the rare occasion when I finally was, and I saw how empty, pointless, and unenjoyable was the thing I was being included in. After a couple times, I just went my own way.

Mole

Permabanned
I disagree. The person who walks away leaves the tribe behind in the rear view mirror, and literacy is not required. This sort of striking off on one's own has been part of the "Hero's Journey", probably since there have been humans. I was bullied, too, also for no good reason, but then there is never a good reason for bullying. I learned very fast not to let anyone push my buttons, which made it unsatisfying for the bullies, leaving ostracism as their only recourse. I sometimes wished I would be included, until the rare occasion when I finally was, and I saw how empty, pointless, and unenjoyable was the thing I was being included in. After a couple times, I just went my own way.
We can acknowledge a post by agreeing or disagreeing, either way gives the post currency.

And with our freshly minted currency, we buy attention.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I disagree. The person who walks away leaves the tribe behind in the rear view mirror, and literacy is not required. This sort of striking off on one's own has been part of the "Hero's Journey", probably since there have been humans.

I was bullied, too, also for no good reason, but then there is never a good reason for bullying. I learned very fast not to let anyone push my buttons, which made it unsatisfying for the bullies, leaving ostracism as their only recourse. I sometimes wished I would be included, until the rare occasion when I finally was, and I saw how empty, pointless, and unenjoyable was the thing I was being included in. After a couple times, I just went my own way.

That doesn't always work, the bullies did not "push my buttons" so much as their bullying me pushed the teacher's buttons who in turn took their frustration out on me. In several classes they put me in the back of the classroom facing the corner, like I had done something wrong. They kept saying my condition was a lie and I was making it up, they'd fail me for it, put in the "remedial classes" where I didn't belong. That didn't so much as push my button as it did seriously ruin any chance of success.

Still, I feel that I did succeed in other ways. If you were to ask me the names of a single kid or teacher who was responsible, I couldn't tell you. I've moved on. And I think I did learn something for it and that's why I am so so unabashedly "me". I odn't need to be part of a group who is going to dislike without getting to know me. I'll go find others who will like me for who I am. I have few friends but they are worth more than a vapid fanboys, spewing the same memes over and over.
( If you are wondering "What do memes have to do with anything?" It is that the entire purpose of a meme is to parrot others in the group to say "I get that reference, I am one of you." while offering no intelligent conversation.) I feel like maybe if i had not been ostracized so much I may fall into the same mindless trap.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That doesn't always work, the bullies did not "push my buttons" so much as their bullying me pushed the teacher's buttons who in turn took their frustration out on me. In several classes they put me in the back of the classroom facing the corner, like I had done something wrong. They kept saying my condition was a lie and I was making it up, they'd fail me for it, put in the "remedial classes" where I didn't belong. That didn't so much as push my button as it did seriously ruin any chance of success.

Still, I feel that I did succeed in other ways. If you were to ask me the names of a single kid or teacher who was responsible, I couldn't tell you. I've moved on. And I think I did learn something for it and that's why I am so so unabashedly "me". I odn't need to be part of a group who is going to dislike without getting to know me. I'll go find others who will like me for who I am. I have few friends but they are worth more than a vapid fanboys, spewing the same memes over and over.
( If you are wondering "What do memes have to do with anything?" It is that the entire purpose of a meme is to parrot others in the group to say "I get that reference, I am one of you." while offering no intelligent conversation.) I feel like maybe if i had not been ostracized so much I may fall into the same mindless trap.
I used to wonder whether I became how I am because of the bullying and ostracism. Then I considered that perhaps I was bullied and ostracised because of how I am. I'm not sure it matters one way or another. And I still don't really know what a meme is supposed to be.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was bullied for a ton of different and ridiculous things. For being tall, poor, and a tom boy. I guess the saying the nail that sticks out gets hammered isn't an understatement.

I think the greatest irony is that it never really bothered me, because my home life was more of a pain to deal with. Bullies in comparison seemed just normal to me, and something to overcome just like everything else. I did however, get miffed that none ever really picked a physical fight with me. I really wanted to knock some heads, and my parents once told me as long as I don't through the first punch I won't get into trouble.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I used to wonder whether I became how I am because of the bullying and ostracism. Then I considered that perhaps I was bullied and ostracised because of how I am. I'm not sure it matters one way or another. And I still don't really know what a meme is supposed to be.

I think that popularity is kind of the same. Are people popular for setting trends? Or are trends set because the people who start them are popular? I really think that is the person people will love anything someone who is "cool" does but what makes these people "cool" is that they do cool things.
Likewise an unpopular person can be made fun of for doing something uncool only for the same thing to made cool because a cool person does it. People are a mess.

You're better off, trust me. I've ended friendships over memes.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As obvious as it is, sometimes I forget that sometimes bullying happens for no good reason. It was probably smart gong in that sort of direction, although I've noticed that being unreactive and aloof towards bullies sometimes works just as well as blowing up on them to the point of entertainment. Now that I'm out of high school I've sort of found a "niche" of sorts, but I share the sentiment. Just being included isn't really all that satisfying, especially if it it's just on a superficial level (although I definitely shouldn't be complaining, it's nice to have people who sort of enjoy your existence, even if it's purely just for wasting time and stuff).

Still, I feel that I did succeed in other ways. If you were to ask me the names of a single kid or teacher who was responsible, I couldn't tell you. I've moved on. And I think I did learn something for it and that's why I am so so unabashedly "me". I don't need to be part of a group who is going to dislike without getting to know me. I'll go find others who will like me for who I am. I have few friends but they are worth more than a vapid fanboys, spewing the same memes over and over.
That's awful, I hate hearing anecdotes where even the teachers become the bullies/problem. You'd hope that at least a person working in a school environment for years would have at least learned the difference between the bully and the bullied, but far too often that isn't the case.

Nonetheless, it's good that you've been able to move on a take positives from your experience and become stronger from it.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As obvious as it is, sometimes I forget that sometimes bullying happens for no good reason. It was probably smart gong in that sort of direction, although I've noticed that being unreactive and aloof towards bullies sometimes works just as well as blowing up on them to the point of entertainment. Now that I'm out of high school I've sort of found a "niche" of sorts, but I share the sentiment. Just being included isn't really all that satisfying, especially if it it's just on a superficial level (although I definitely shouldn't be complaining, it's nice to have people who sort of enjoy your existence, even if it's purely just for wasting time and stuff).
There are plenty of legitimate reasons not to be someone's friend, not to want to spend time with them. All that justifies is steering clear of them and leaving them alone. It never justifies bullying. In terms of inclusion, for me, it has always been quality over quantity. I didn't enjoy the activities my peers indulged in, what they talked about and were interested in, how they spent their time. On the rare occasion when I was included, I didn't enjoy myself in the least. Inclusion for the sake of it thus seemed pointless. At least I didn't have [MENTION=29849]Yuu[/MENTION]'s trouble of getting bullied by the grown-ups. They might not always have taken bullying seriously enough to step in, but at least they did not contribute to it.