User Tag List

123 Last

Default Selfie-takers tend to overestimate their attractiveness

Selfie-takers tend to overestimate their attractiveness, study finds

People who regularly take photos of themselves, or selfies, tend to overestimate their attractiveness and likability to a greater extent, and are seen as more narcissistic by independent observers, compared with non-selfie-takers, according to a study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science.

A wealth of psychological evidence shows that people have a tendency to perceive themselves as being better than average on a wide range of positive traits, a phenomenon known as “self-favoring bias.” There is also evidence that self-favoring bias is strongest in situations in which one has the greatest amount of personal control. Anyone with a social media account can attest to the popularity of self-taken photos, or selfies. By giving people a great deal of personal control over how they present themselves to the world, selfies may be a prime situation for enhancing self-favoring bias.

Do you take a lot of selfies?
    Likes Punderstorm, IndigoViolet11 liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

You can't be negative about yourself or it's pathological. You can't be too positive about yourself or it's equally maladaptive and pathological. Someone show me the tiny sliver of land inbetween that's okay to set my toes on!

MBTI
    STP

I agree its more narcissistic in general. Do i think it matters? No, i actually think narcissism in the correct amount is a good thing. Many other indicators beyond selfies for a better diagnosis of actual narcissistic behaviour.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes Krim13 liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I have a bomb ass selfie just waiting to be unleashed upon the world. Gaze upon my beauty and be humbled!

On a serious note, I don't post selfies because I don't have the energy to live up to that all day every day. Can I look amazing with a filter and good lighting? Fuck yeah.

Do I look like that everyday? Nope.

I don't post selfies because I would rather not false advertise. I would rather low key suprise you with my awesomeness than disappoint your unfair expectations.

But yeah. Post selfies. Don't post. Who cares.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I have a bomb ass selfie just waiting to be unleashed upon the world. Gaze upon my beauty and be humbled!

On a serious note, I don't post selfies because I don't have the energy to live up to that all day every day. Can I look amazing with a filter and good lighting? Fuck yeah.

Do I look like that everyday? Nope.

I don't post selfies because I would rather not false advertise. I would rather low key suprise you with my awesomeness than disappoint your unfair expectations.

I care, where is the selfie? I was looking forward to gazing upon your beauty.
    Im out, its been fun
    Likes iwakar liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Taking selfies makes me feel narcissitic, which is a feeling I really, really can't stand. As a result I almost never take selfies, and feel guilty for doing so 95% of the time.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I rarely post selfies, but when I do it's because people in general want to know I'm doing well, and for some reason this involves showing where I am and what I look like. This is as puzzling to me as both people who post selfies all of the time and people who spend most of their time disapproving of harmless things other people do. I strongly shrug in all your all directions.
    Likes small.wonder, five sounds, iwakar liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Poki View Post
    I care, where is the selfie? I was looking forward to gazing upon your beauty.
    Hmmm. I will post soon to you PM cause I'm mysterious and shit
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

Do you take a lot of selfies?
    It's the only type of picture I can take.

I don't have any friends to take them with usually. Except skiing holidays with family and other people's friends.

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes an hero, meowington, five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    This.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Chanaynay, MDP2525, five sounds, Sil liked this post