• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why We Should Ban Psychiatry

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Gonna need a source for all the brain damage stuff

Actually, I'll need a source for everything about lying, deceit, and nonspecific harms

I'm on board with most of everything else

image.png

Sorry, it popped in my head lol.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Jeremy8419 said:
Link for the autism stuff, please?

A comprehensive behavioral theory of autistic children: Paradigm for research and treatment

Although behavioral treatment is the most effective intervention currently available for autistic children, there have been no attempts to present a comprehensive behavioral theory of autistic children since Ferster (1961). The present paper is intended to fill this gap. Behavioral work is distinguished from traditional work with autistic children in three ways: (a) it focuses on specific behaviors rather than on the diagnostic entity of autism; (b) it emphasizes the immediate environment rather than etiology or early history; and (c) research is inductive rather than hypothetico-deductive. The behavioral theory derived from such work has four tenets: (a) autistic children's behaviors are consistent with laws of learning derived from the behavior of other organisms; (b) autistic children have many separate behavioral difficulties best described as a developmental delay; (c) despite their difficulties, many autistic children learn as much as other human beings in certain environments; and (d) their difficulties can be viewed as a mismatch between a deviant nervous system and average or typical environments rather than as a disease. A number of practical and theoretical problems remain that require further research and that would add to the present theory.

From the book I read, this approach dissects each action (for example: giving a hug) into individual steps and the parent uses positive or negative reinforcement to guide the child.

"
Step 1. Say, "Hug me," and prompt (e.g., physically move) the child so that his cheek makes momentary contact with yours. Reward him with food the moment his cheek makes contact.

Step 2: Gradually fade the prompt while keeping the instruction ("Hug me") loud and clear.

Step 3: Gradually withhold the reward contingent on longer and longer hugs. Move in slow steps from a 1-second hug to one lasting 5 or 10 seconds. At the same time, require a more complete hug such as placing his arms around your neck, squeezing harder, etc. Prompt these additional behaviors if necessary.

Step 4: Generalize this learning to many behaviors and many persons. Gradually thin the reward schedule so that you get more and more hugs for less and less rewards." excerpted from Steve Silberman's Neuro Tribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Link? I have access to a lot of journals through my universities. I could fish it out and share it here assuming I have access.

It was a joke. We said we have a dollar, and I said they cost 2 dollars and they sold out yesterday, so, as the saying goes, we are "a day late and a dollar short" lol

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A comprehensive behavioral theory of autistic children: Paradigm for research and treatment

From the book I read, this approach dissects each action (for example: giving a hug) into individual steps and the parent uses positive or negative reinforcement to guide the child.

"
Step 1. Say, "Hug me," and prompt (e.g., physically move) the child so that his cheek makes momentary contact with yours. Reward him with food the moment his cheek makes contact.

Step 2: Gradually fade the prompt while keeping the instruction ("Hug me") loud and clear.

Step 3: Gradually withhold the reward contingent on longer and longer hugs. Move in slow steps from a 1-second hug to one lasting 5 or 10 seconds. At the same time, require a more complete hug such as placing his arms around your neck, squeezing harder, etc. Prompt these additional behaviors if necessary.

Step 4: Generalize this learning to many behaviors and many persons. Gradually thin the reward schedule so that you get more and more hugs for less and less rewards." excerpted from Steve Silberman's Neuro Tribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity

Hmmmm, so I suppose other autism spectrum disorders fall into the same steps, only somewhere in-between autism speed and non-developmental disabilities speed?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Jeremy8419 said:
Hmmmm, so I suppose other autism spectrum disorders fall into the same steps, only somewhere in-between autism speed and non-developmental disabilities speed?

That's probably correct.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Perhaps we should ban entire medicine. Just to be sure that none of the bad things happen again. :D

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Perhaps we should ban entire medicine. Just to be sure that none of the bad things happen again. :D

Yeah, it's definitely not worthy of existence if it doesn't have a 100% success and safety rate. Let's get rid of cars and airplanes too!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah, it's definitely not worthy of existence if it doesn't have a 100% success and safety rate. Let's get rid of cars and airplanes too!

This will sound rude but when I see all the threads opened by the OP lately I get the impression that he is simply trying to prove to himself that he doesn't have a problem. This is simply SCREAMING out of all those threads.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are some incredibly awful counselors and psychiatrists, I won't lie, but to take this away from the few people out there with actual mental disorders seem a bit excessive.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Does anyone actually do lobotomies anymore? I really thought that went out decades ago.

Anyway, many of the OP's listed reasons are just results of shitty psychiatrists. Yeah, there are some bad psychiatrists, just as there are bad cardiologists, bad dermatologists, bad gynecologists...the list goes ever on. That doesn't mean the entire field is bullshit.
I understand how people might feel the field lacks validity because the DSM is based on behavior and not hard scientific lab data. I get it. But there have been brain scans that show certain abnormalities in mentally ill patients, and mental illness certainly has a genetic component (twin studies and bipolar disorder--which tends to be highly genetically linked).

Any medication comes with risks. Anything. At the end of medicine commercials, the list of possible, although rare, side effects goes on endlessly. That's just part of medicine and a part of life: risks. I could get hit by a car crossing the street on my way to class. Does that mean I should just stay at home in my bed (however enticing that may be at times)? No, because I need to learn.

Are some mental illnesses overly diagnosed? Possibly. But this does not mean that mental illness diagnoses are altogether fake or made up. These illnesses aren't just invented. If millions of people worldwide are experiencing the same general set of detrimental symptoms, I can hardly believe that some quack doctors just "created" symptoms and illnesses.

I wonder what the OP would have expected me to do when I wanted to end my own life and was too depressed to move, or what they would have done if they'd seen me screaming, raging, pulling my hair out and being a foreigner in my own skin. Do they really think suggesting a self-help book to someone who's too ragingly manic to write a coherent and focused letter would actually work? Any person with common sense would say of course not. Yes, I understand that psychiatric medicine can often be trial and error. I've lived it. But I finally got on medicine that worked for me, and it's been a life-saver.

And lastly, the people who say that mental illnesses are just "different perspectives on life" should fucking talk to someone who lives with the burden of one. Over the course of my life, mental illness has wreaked havoc on my family, my friendships, my academic performance, my self-esteem, and my will to live. It was psychiatry (and therapy) that helped me heal again. I'm not the only one, either.

I'm happy to provide sources for the information I've shared, and I'd like to see the sources for the "claims and statistics" in these bullet points.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
#17 is really the only valid point. But it's a decent one. Even then, though, we're led to that familiar cycle of -- "Misclassifications and misdiagnoses are huge deals. We make mistakes. We learn from mistakes." / "Yeah, well; this particular brand of mistakes is especially harmful, and we shouldn't allow a venue through which they can even occur." / "It's still worth pressing forward for that net positive." / ...

(I also like how "symptoms" are in scare quotes)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you know what would solve most problems like this but no one's gonna go for it: is to ban humans altogether just put them in a people zoo

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you know what would solve most problems like this but no one's gonna go for it: is to ban humans altogether just put them in a people zoo

We can call it reality TV

Lark

You know what's mad?

The guys who turn up to protest prescription meds on a monday will turn up to a demo in favour of decriminalising psychoactive substances or illegal narcotics on the tuesday.