User Tag List

12 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Exclamation Notification of palatable personality traits (moved from Politics & Current Events)

It's come to my attention that many, often, otherwise undesirable things, are brandished as favorable aspects of personality.

You hear a lot of people saying "I'm too lazy to do it" and then belch a little laugh like it's funny to be lazy.

When did this start? Why is it perpetuated?

Or there's this fun one -- if you're in gradeschool, you've certainly heard the teacher say, while drawing a diagram on the chalkboard they'll say "and if you'll excuse my horrible art skills" or perhaps they'll quip about how "if I were a good artist, I wouldn't be teaching" and of course, everyone in the class chuckles.

How is that funny? I don't understand it.

Or the worst of them all you'll hear people talk about how crazy they are.
    Idiots...
    If they were actually crazy they'd be scared shitless.
    This probably has a lot to do with arrogance. Too much self-security.

If this backwards dub applies to a male being 'secure enough with his masculinity' to engage in any feminine actvity, then certainly accusing yourself of being crazy means, in fact that you're so certain of your mental health, it borders on the very thing you're sure you're not.

Can someone maybe explain this to me?
    Or maybe just give some other examples I don't care.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 09-10-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: More appropriately placed here.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It's actually insecurity. When the teacher jokes right away, then the students won't be able to joke. It would seem stupid to do so. I use this same strategy when someone asks me about some subject that I'm not comfortable talking about. When I answer with joke, it will take something away from the subject. The joke usually is telling my true feelings about the subject, but at the same time masking it so that the other person doesn't know if it is true or not. But again, it would seem silly if they persisted on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    If this backwards dub applies to a male being 'secure enough with his masculinity' to engage in any feminine actvity, then certainly accusing yourself of being crazy means, in fact that you're so certain of your mental health, it borders on the very thing you're sure you're not.
    The masculine-feminine thing isn't the same thing. The gender roles haven't got anything to do with real self-confidence, since they are mostly made up by society, and you don't need society to feel confident.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Desirable traits are in some sense arbitrary. Everyone has different ideas about the traits that are most desirable. We can make jokes about the traits other people tell us are desirable when we don't hold them as such ourselves.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Self deprication lightens the mood and amuses people. That's why comedians do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

No one is perfect... if you can see your own flaws what is your reaction?

To note them? Okay that's fine..
    To worry about them? Pointless, see above.
    To improve upon them? Fine but that doesn't rule out any other reaction in addition to that.
    To laugh at them and about them? Well it certainly beats worrying.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Oberon

It's inoculation. If you point out your own flaws, it pre-empts other people from doing it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It's inoculation. If you point out your own flaws, it pre-empts other people from doing it.
    Definitely one effective strategy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Self deprication lightens the mood and amuses people. That's why comedians do it.
    Self depreciation? These people are obviously lying.

No one admits to being actually crazy. That's the whole reason for the DSM and that diagnostic panel.

They're pretending. Because it's funny?
    How is that funny?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

People admit to being actually lazy. Exaggeration is often involved, yes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Self depreciation? These people are obviously lying.

No one admits to being actually crazy. That's the whole reason for the DSM and that diagnostic panel.

They're pretending. Because it's funny?
    How is that funny?
    You might want to look around for your sense of humor. It looks like you lost it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."