• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Notification of palatable personality traits (moved from Politics & Current Events)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Notification of palatable personality traits (moved from Politics & Current Events)

It's come to my attention that many, often, otherwise undesirable things, are brandished as favorable aspects of personality.

You hear a lot of people saying "I'm too lazy to do it" and then belch a little laugh like it's funny to be lazy.

When did this start? Why is it perpetuated?

Or there's this fun one -- if you're in gradeschool, you've certainly heard the teacher say, while drawing a diagram on the chalkboard they'll say "and if you'll excuse my horrible art skills" or perhaps they'll quip about how "if I were a good artist, I wouldn't be teaching" and of course, everyone in the class chuckles.

How is that funny? I don't understand it.

Or the worst of them all you'll hear people talk about how crazy they are.
Idiots...
If they were actually crazy they'd be scared shitless.
This probably has a lot to do with arrogance. Too much self-security.

If this backwards dub applies to a male being 'secure enough with his masculinity' to engage in any feminine actvity, then certainly accusing yourself of being crazy means, in fact that you're so certain of your mental health, it borders on the very thing you're sure you're not.

Can someone maybe explain this to me?
Or maybe just give some other examples I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It's actually insecurity. When the teacher jokes right away, then the students won't be able to joke. It would seem stupid to do so. I use this same strategy when someone asks me about some subject that I'm not comfortable talking about. When I answer with joke, it will take something away from the subject. The joke usually is telling my true feelings about the subject, but at the same time masking it so that the other person doesn't know if it is true or not. But again, it would seem silly if they persisted on the subject.

If this backwards dub applies to a male being 'secure enough with his masculinity' to engage in any feminine actvity, then certainly accusing yourself of being crazy means, in fact that you're so certain of your mental health, it borders on the very thing you're sure you're not.

The masculine-feminine thing isn't the same thing. The gender roles haven't got anything to do with real self-confidence, since they are mostly made up by society, and you don't need society to feel confident.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Desirable traits are in some sense arbitrary. Everyone has different ideas about the traits that are most desirable. We can make jokes about the traits other people tell us are desirable when we don't hold them as such ourselves.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Self deprication lightens the mood and amuses people. That's why comedians do it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
No one is perfect... if you can see your own flaws what is your reaction?

To note them? Okay that's fine..
To worry about them? Pointless, see above.
To improve upon them? Fine but that doesn't rule out any other reaction in addition to that.
To laugh at them and about them? Well it certainly beats worrying.

O

Oberon

It's inoculation. If you point out your own flaws, it pre-empts other people from doing it.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Self deprication lightens the mood and amuses people. That's why comedians do it.

Self depreciation? These people are obviously lying.

No one admits to being actually crazy. That's the whole reason for the DSM and that diagnostic panel.

They're pretending. Because it's funny?
How is that funny?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
People admit to being actually lazy. Exaggeration is often involved, yes.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Self depreciation? These people are obviously lying.

No one admits to being actually crazy. That's the whole reason for the DSM and that diagnostic panel.

They're pretending. Because it's funny?
How is that funny?
You might want to look around for your sense of humor. It looks like you lost it.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Desirable traits are in some sense arbitrary.
Understood. My latest kick is about arbitrary human decision and presumed knowledge/maxims etc.

I was referencing the popular current state of affairs, which seems to contain these few things, which, when actually present are abhorrent things to possess. According the the Flak, it's a provision of comic relief to inaccurately confess failure to live up to the standard.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You don't give me much option to think otherwise.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
No can do. Explaining why it's funny would require me to invest more into this thread than I think it's worth.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Understood. My latest kick is about arbitrary human decision and presumed knowledge/maxims etc.

I was referencing the popular current state of affairs, which seems to contain these few things, which, when actually present are abhorrent things to possess. According the the Flak, it's a provision of comic relief to inaccurately confess failure to live up to the standard.

One principle in comedy is that loss of status is funny. For example a man dressing as a woman is intrinsically funnier than a woman dressing as a man. The woman who dresses as a man is empowered. The man who dresses as a woman is humiliated. Those comedies that feature a woman dressing as a man only work by humiliating the other men. They lose status by foolishly believing the woman is male. Also a lot of TV comedies feature a foolish man (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc...). It's funny because of the perceived loss of status.