User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Intuitive, the Counter-Intuitive and Cognitive Dissonance

The intuitive response to cognitive dissonance makes perfect sense - because they intuitively avoid pain and seek comfort.

While the counter-intuitive response to cognitive dissonance is, well, counter-intuitive - it doesn't make intuitive sense.

The counter-intuitive, rather than seeking to avoid pain and find comfort, seek to discover the new.

So for the counter-intuitive pain and comfort are secondary to discovery.

The infancy of humanity was spoken and intuitive which gave birth to religion which is entirely intuitive.

But literacy gave birth to the counter-intuitive - almost no one learns to read and write intuitively - they are compelled by law to go to special institutions called schools which specially trained staff, called teachers, to learn to read and write. And it is in becoming literate that they learn to think counter-intuitively.

More books, for instance, are translated in to Spanish in one year than have been translated into Arabic over the last five hundred years. This illustrates the intuitive nature of Islam is based on the spoken, not the written word.

And of course other religions are intuitive as well - just as astrology is intuitive - creationism is intuitive - even alchemy is intuitive - and MBTI is intuitive. All are pre-literate.

So it is unnatural to leave the intuitive world for literacy, but the prize is new discoveries.

And it turns out new discoveries far outweigh the pain of cognitive dissonance.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

What should we do then ? Die ?

(Btw. you did not relate creationism to religion, did you ?)
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

heart on fire

Religion may be intuitive and precognitive but we can learn about our inner-selves from the symbolism in it. Everything in this world has value if looked at with the proper perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What should we do then ? Die ?

(Btw. you did not relate creationism to religion, did you ?)
    No, dear Entropie, you should take the hint.

You should acknowledge we have moved from a spoken culture to a literate cuture, and take the hint.

But what is the hint?

It's really simple - we are now moving from our literate culture to a new spoken culture via electronics - the telegraph, the telephone, the television and the internet.

Take the hint - and move your eyes from the rear vision mirror to the windscreen - it's right in front of you - now.

MBTI
    INTJ

Spirituality is intuitive.

Religion is not. Religion is about knowing doctrine. You have to study it to know the "right" details. Priests and Rabbis have to go through many years of study and book learning before they are officially ordained. Many protestant preachers have the same requirements.

And most churches encourage children to go to Sunday School as well, to learn their faith. But if that is intuitive, that shouldn't be necessary, they should just know it. Or perhaps only intuitives know these things and S types need to study it. Actually intuitives tend to get their own ideas about faith, so I guess there is a point in making sure they know the "official" truth.

Ilah

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    Spirituality is intuitive.

Religion is not. Religion is about knowing doctrine. You have to study it to know the "right" details. Priests and Rabbis have to go through many years of study and book learning before they are officially ordained. Many protestant preachers have the same requirements.

And most churches encourage children to go to Sunday School as well, to learn their faith. But if that is intuitive, that shouldn't be necessary, they should just know it. Or perhaps only intuitives know these things and S types need to study it. Actually intuitives tend to get their own ideas about faith, so I guess there is a point in making sure they know the "official" truth.
    This is more my framework and I easily follow this explanation. It sounds like Victor is using different definitions for "intuitive," however, which makes for some confusion. Can you explain your framework a bit better, Victor?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm sorry but I totally disagree... "no pain, no gain" has always been a completely intuitive concept to me...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'm sorry but I totally disagree... "no pain, no gain" has always been a completely intuitive concept to me...
    Surely you want to edit that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

...and the ration of Spanish to Arabic book translations illustrates more the number of native speakers and the awareness/openness of those speakers to foreign culture, literature etc, and their demand for it. And Islam is very much based on the written word. Between the Qur'an and Sahih Al-Bukhari's Hadith, together with a myriad du'aa for every occasion there's a written rule for just about every aspect of a Muslim's life.

In pre-Islamic culture however, there was a marked difference in perception of reality from that of the Roman empire. Our English word 'reality' stems from the Latin word 'res' meaning 'thing'. Denoting that in the inherited Classical way of thinking of the West, reality is all about 'things'. Tangible things. In Arabic the word is 'al-haqq', which as an entirely different root, meaning the opposite: reality is all about what's between, behind and beneath 'things'; it's about what causes, binds and moves 'things'.

Which is interesting...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Moved from Philosophy.