User Tag List

First 234

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    yes, and approaching it from that angle, that's still what I think... if by 'intuitive' he means 'what comes naturally'?

But dammit, if the guy's going to speak not only in riddles but with his own personal dictionary, well... you can't expect people with y'know, lives and shit, to devote hours to trying to decipher his heiroglyphs can you? I mean, it's not like some lost Plato paper we're dealing with here, is it? *shrug*
    *snicker*
    I understand him on the first go.
    His dialect is rather *snicker* intuitive if you ask me.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    *snicker*
    I understand him on the first go.
    His dialect is rather *snicker* intuitive if you ask me.
    Oh. Science club. I get it.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Victor applies cognitive dissonance in an off-label fashion.
    Read his post very carefully.

I'd prefer not to say he uses it incorrectly, but it's certainly highly unconventional.
    Out of left field.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Also, excuse my slowness - the kids are playing around and making an awful noise in here so I'm not functioning at my intellectual best - but... are you SURE that literacy is counter-intuitive?

If it's intuitive for humans to want to make life easier for themselves, then surely literacy can help achieve this aim - was that not in fact the reason why it was even invented? It's much easier to write a message and get some schmuck to carry it for you to its recipient than to have to travel all the way there to tell him yourself, or pay a messenger to take the message and possibly forget it or get it wrong when he gets there. And keeping track of what's mine and what's yours is much easier when we have written records.

Surely the complex writing systems that we now have in modern languages all evolved from the same intuitive principle of drawing a line in the sand and saying "this side is mine, that side is yours"? Making lasting marks that communicate an idea that one wishes to be communicated and recommunicated?

So although learning the actual mechanics of the written language takes some effort, I think that the POINT of making this effort is intuitively understood by most people with an IQ in triple figures. And isn't it then also intuitive to then think of all the other uses to which this new skill can be applied, including spreading your own ideas and opinions over a wide area in a short space of time with little personal effort?
    By literacy I mean universal literacy only achieved with a vast infrastructure of schools and teachers.

This vast infrastructure is created and funded by the Nation State and compels its citizens to attend for many years.

This vast infrastructure is somewhat disguised by the fact that we read a book alone. This creates the literate individual who is inclined to think they are independent of the huge system that produced them.

In other words, literacy produces dissociation - on the one hand we have a huge, vast infrastructure and on the other, the literate individual. And how natural, in our minds, to dissociate one from the other.

And this universal dissociation produces the conscious mind and the unconscious mind - both dissociated from one another.

But as we move from print to electronics, dissociation disappears - the unconscious becomes conscious.

The electronic person, the person of the Noosphere, is no longer dissociated.

And extraordinarily, we are no longer dissociated from one another. We are not dissociated by distance. We are not dissociated by time. Your mind and mind are now, more or less, running on the same track.

Look, you are reading this as I write.

MBTI
    ENTP

Hmm... well it's perceived that the state compels people to go to school here, but in fact it's always been an option for parents to not send their kids to school and educate them at home, however they see fit (as I'm doing with my kids). Home education has exploded in the UK recently as profound dissatisfaction with the school system has taken hold and perhaps greater independence of research and thought also because, as you say, of the electronic media giving people access to wider and more diverse opinion and information than they otherwise would've had without great effort.

The literate individual has at their disposal all the literature that's available in the language/s they speak and so is not necessarily limited to the state-approved thought that's presented to them in schools. But it's true that most individuals don't go to the trouble... especially since television takes the place of leisure reading in most homes.

Where I live, TV has actually begun to be replaced by the internet as the quality and diversity of shows has taken a dive, it's become the refuge of morons basically and most intelligent and thinking people find their TV rarely being switched on these days. But there still remains the majority who are fed, through the TV, the same thought marketing as they were fed at school (provided they were even paying attention at school, which those people probably weren't).

Just a few thoughts there. I've got more, just gonna think about it for a bit.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen