• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do we make soceity or does Soceity make us?

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've analysed a lot of "individuals", and I have friends/family from all 16 types... those that share the same category definitely have a lot of similarities, even with their varying degrees of E/I etc., but I've also met quite a few who seem to defy the fundamental characteristics of their type, though they are most certainly that type!? I'm wondering how you guys chalk that up? I personally feel that there has to be some sort of a balance of effect between one's personality type and one's environment, sex etc... what do you think?

S

Sniffles

I addressed this issue in my rant about communitarianism:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/211342-post35.html

I uphold a basic Personalist perspective; that is we're all unique in some ways, but at the same time we're forged by our relationships with others. Both Individualism and Collectivism are extremes in opposite directions, which transform people into mere abstract concepts.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Is this true of you?

My natural tendency is to question everything and do what I like regardless of what other people think. Compared to the average person I'd say society has hardly any effect on me at all. At the same time there are many parts of me that are a product of my environment. Conversely even the biggest conformist will do their own thing from time to time. So it's both regardless of who you are referring to. There are simply degrees of conformity or nonconformity.

MBTI Type
ENFP
How terribly fascinating! To be honest, I didn't know what kind of "characters" I would find in this community, I'm quite pleasantly surprised! After reading your thoughts on Communitarianism I'm very curious to understand it more clearly... would you say it's along the same principles that John Donne wrote of when he said "No man is an island,"?

So you don't believe in Individualism or Collectivism? Would you say a Personalist's view point is a combination of the two? Do you refer to people as individuals? Do you agree with Borden Bowne's idea that it's impossible for the entire universe to exist apart from a person to experience it?

Personally, as far as the political scene of this world, I believe in remaining neutral... to the death, if need be.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've analysed a lot of "individuals", and I have friends/family from all 16 types... those that share the same category definitely have a lot of similarities, even with their varying degrees of E/I etc., but I've also met quite a few who seem to defy the fundamental characteristics of their type, though they are most certainly that type!? I'm wondering how you guys chalk that up? I personally feel that there has to be some sort of a balance of effect between one's personality type and one's environment, sex etc... what do you think?

No offence, but are you sure you "analyzed" all of them to a full understanding ? And besides, do you really know all of the 16 types ?

I do not

S

Sniffles

How terribly fascinating! To be honest, I didn't know what kind of "characters" I would find in this community, I'm quite pleasantly surprised! After reading your thoughts on Communitarianism I'm very curious to understand it more clearly... would you say it's along the same principles that John Donne wrote of when he said "No man is an island,"?

Yes that would be compatible with Personalist precepts.

So you don't believe in Individualism or Collectivism? Would you say a Personalist's view point is a combination of the two?

On the surface, you could say that. But in reality, Personalism addresses people as actual concrete entities, not abstract ones as does Individualism and Collectivism. Although there is the concept of "Social Individualism", which does bear resemblences to Personalism.

Do you refer to people as individuals?

I prefer to refer to them as persons. ;)

Do you agree with Borden Bowne's idea that it's impossible for the entire universe to exist apart from a person to experience it?

I'll confess to ignorance about Borden Bowne's teachings(although he is on my to-read list). From what you say, I would agree to the basic point you outlined.

S

Sniffles

sorry for my laconic response. It's getting late and I can't spend too much time articulating my thoughts.

MBTI Type
ENFP
No offence, but are you sure you "analyzed" all of them to a full understanding ? And besides, do you really know all of the 16 types ?

I do not

"analyzed" - yes, thank you for that. By definition, yes I have.

16 types - do I know the variables? Or have I actually met these persons?

No offence taken.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Then we are going to see, if you can hold up to your end of the bargain.

Welcome to the forums

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well... it's been most interesting... no apologies necessary! Thank you for your kind indulgence of my thirsty mind!

It's quite unique this society... from just speaking with you, I thought I was talking to a much older man, imagine my surprise to see your age!? Bravo! And good-night kind sir.

S

Sniffles

It's quite unique this society... from just speaking with you, I thought I was talking to a much older man, imagine my surprise to see your age!? Bravo! And good-night kind sir.

LOL! Literally almost all ENFPs I've known have said that about me. ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The bargain of you possessing the knowledge to analyze people.

MBTI Type
ENFP
The bargain of you possessing the knowledge to analyze people.

You don't seem to be the type that would wish to be "analyzed"...

I have no certificate... I simply have enjoyed to research subjects that interest me... that being people. I've never tried to analyze someone online before, either... all my conclusions have been drawn from the three dimensional. ;)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It depends on if you are a leader or follower.

MBTI Type
ENFP
Both. Offline, people always think Im 5-10 years older than what I really am, mostly because of my behavior. Online, one ENFP originally thought I was 50.

I must concur that I too thought you were in your 50s. Not to pry, and I mean this with the utmost respect, but, you don't sound like a native of America.

At what age did you begin your theoretical etc studies?