• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Men Kill themselves

Lark

Both sexes can be assholes. Both sexes are SELFISH and THANKLESS.

So guys need to stop looking to sex and love to feel better. They need Jesus. :)

Then after they are healed, they might be ready for the battle of a relationship.

Hmm, yeah, I've heard that one too.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, patriarchy and matriarchy are totally and utterly different in character, patriarchy is not something that has any redeeming qualities and isnt something that most men would feel any ownership of and rightly so, its not a case of men in charge vs. women in charge and not much different besides that. I've experienced some pretty authoritarian and patriarchal female bosses, usually because they feel compelled to out "man" the "men".

I'm not looking to convince you of anything, if I where I'd only expect to encounter a lot of defensiveness anyway and that would be a waste of both our times, although since you're entirely unacquainted with the ideas of feminism or matriarchy in any respect what so ever besides the negative and biased second hand sources available from anti-feminists I'd continue to invite you to read it. I dont consider an imaginary account to be invalid, if you've read Adam Smith's Theory of Moral Sentiments or any other works from the Scottish Enlightenment you'd know how important a quality that is in any respect, most theory of mind involves the capacity for imagination, what do you think intuition is based upon?

To describe patriarchal societies as happy and prosperous is a little like praising nazi germany for full employment BTW.

If men and women are the same, why would patriarchy and matriarchy be any different in an ideal or utopian account? Are you saying that the character of males and females are fundamentally different by virtue of nature, or just that it would be more convenient with the current less than ideal state of gender roles and understandings to institute a matriarchy due to having less work to do to in the form of instilling women with values favorable to a utopian society?

What is it about females that make them less authoritarian in nature do you presume? What are the key differences between a matriarchy and a patriarchy and why? Why must you jump to the example of Nazi Germany when there were thousands of examples of happy and prosperous patriarchal cultures throughout history?

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, they can.
Yes that would be in exceptional cases..

The point is the system itself lacks integrity. At the very least, it needs to be examined. Differences aside, we're doing it wrong. It's not working.
Our personal system or the society's system? Because I think we should go with both, our body is programmed to do certain functions, and society is where we are living thus we need to follow the rules, be accepted, fit in etc. but -of course- without losing our personal identity and values..

Each person's needs are different.
Are you saying that some women like to have a guy that she can protect and provide safety and security, a guy that she pays for their dinner on the first date, a guy that get pregnant with her children, maybe a guy that wears a skirt and red lipstick who knows?! I didn't know that! That would be exceptional am I wrong?

If you don't believe in enforcing gender expectations onto people, then why form the expectations to begin with?
See I might not be a woman that necessarily fit into stereotypes of vulnerable and meek or who spend the whole day doing traditional wife duties, I hate house chores, I hate when people set boundaries on my behavior, I'm viewed as stubborn by those who know me, so I don't typically fit into gender expectations, and I think most people aren't typically fit, but expectations are formed by knowing the nature of each gender, that's how our brain works being a woman implies certain expectations, being a man implies certain expectations, however they don't necessarily apply to men or women which is ok, I don't get bothered by these expectations, besides they're really varying, for example some people's expectations of a man that they don't care about their appearance, in other communities they're expected to go to the gym and rock a muscular appearance.., it's not a big deal unless we are pushing people to be something they can't be..

I think they come in a package deal.

Example of equality: when you and a baby have the same rights; I give you a chicken burger and give him a chicken burger (I apologize to all vegetarians for this example)
Example of justice: you and a baby have the same rights; I give you a chicken burger and give him cereals..
Trying to make women play roles of men and vice versa lacks a big deal of justice IMO

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We done shitted up this thread good din't we boys?

Lark

If men and women are the same, why would patriarchy and matriarchy be any different in an ideal or utopian account? Are you saying that the character of males and females are fundamentally different by virtue of nature, or just that it would be more convenient with the current less than ideal state of gender roles and understandings to institute a matriarchy due to having less work to do to in the form of instilling women with values favorable to a utopian society?

What is it about females that make them less authoritarian in nature do you presume? What are the key differences between a matriarchy and a patriarchy and why? Why must you jump to the example of Nazi Germany when there were thousands of examples of happy and prosperous patriarchal cultures throughout history?

[Matrix meme] What if I told you that equality does not involve sameness and uniformity? [/Matrix meme]

Of course they are different, fundamentally so, gender stereotypes have served to make those differences tools of oppression, it'd be better to dispense with those but without any need to deny the difference, though there's plenty of sources out the if you're genuinely interested and I've already made it clear why I'm not going to try and "school" you in a thread on some forum, it'll only end up in games and defensiveness, which I've no time for.

I'm just looking at history and authoritarianism throughout history, total sausage fest as it turns out.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard this before. Why do men tend to have more limited support systems? Is it because of what you mentioned in the second part about men feeling they have to tell each other to "be tough" instead of supportive to each other?

No, I don't think they want to tell each other "be tough" or "man up", exactly. I think it's more that men are uncomfortable being in that kind of supportive role.

You know the trope about how women start talking about their problems to men, and then the men, instead of just listening and being supportive, offer advice on how to solve the problem? Same thing. It's partly an aversion to dealing with emotions, but it's primarily (in my opinion) a tendency to deal with problems in a direct and analytical way that simply doesn't WORK on emotions.

Men can learn the skills to deal with emotions, and many of them do, but it is something that we neither require of men as they grow up nor do men (as a group) tend to have a fascination with such matters.

It took me decades to develop my current understanding of emotions. It took that long in part because our culture is full of crappy self-help books that deal with things superficially. Another obstacle was that the way other people explained feelings - especially the way women explained feelings - did not match up with how I felt feelings. So women were adept at explaining feelings - their feelings, as women - that didn't match up with my feelings. And men tend to suck at explaining feelings, so there's no good way to explore them.

Oh, and I'm INTJ. I've been kind of naturally tone-deaf to feelings and feeling tones. Even now, I can "turn it off" and not give a shit, if I have to. I try to explain feelings to young INTJ men (e.g., on INTJf) and they barely understand what I'm saying (just like I used to barely understand).

My library of resources on how to deal with this shit is much more extensive now. But wanna know something silly? There was a book I read as a kid, that perhaps had the best advice ever on how to deal with feelings. I barely remember it, and only a part of it, but it stuck with me. That one piece of knowledge is probably what carried me through a lot of shit before I had learned other skills.

That book provided the analogy of feelings being like standing in the surf on an an ocean beach. The waves coming in are huge. They can easily knock you over and leave you struggling. Those waves are your emotions. If you try to stand and hold your ground, that makes the waves push you around that much harder and it's easier for them to hurt you. If on the other hand you let yourself ride the waves, just letting them come in and go out and not try to stand up straight, they'll lift you up and down fairly gently, instead of knocking you around and tripping you up. Let the emotions roll over you without fighting, and they treat you much more gently if you stand rigidly against them.

I've never heard that advice from any other source. The words that other people use to say the same things didn't connect with me (they do now, but the words leave so much unsaid).

Based on this, I find that I have to conclude that men need their own style of lessons on how to deal with feelings. There is a "guy way" to talk about this stuff. And it isn't about being macho or toxic masculinity or anything like that. It's that you have to connect to a guy as a GUY, and THEN what you say will register. If you try to explain emotions to a guy without making that connection, it's not gonna happen. More generally, you have to connect with an individual ON THEIR OWN TERMS, with the tough part being figuring out those terms, and THEN you can explain the very intimate topic of how they should deal with emotions. Part of figuring out that connection is figuring out where they are on the masculine/feminine spectrum to determine whether they need the "guy advice" or the "girl advice" (regardless of actual sex).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One thing to add, due to hearing treated like shit in younger years by immature women and the wholegirl vs boy shit they get a sour taste and learn to turn to guys for support. This pretty much causes more issues as this cycle has went on for along time. Which cause men to learn "men" and push away from women which continues the cycle. It's a vicious unhealthy cycle that people lean to get any support they can.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
One thing to add, due to hearing treated like shit in younger years by immature women and the wholegirl vs boy shit they get a sour taste and learn to turn to guys for support. This pretty much causes more issues as this cycle has went on for along time. Which cause men to learn "men" and push away from women which continues the cycle. It's a vicious unhealthy cycle that people lean to get any support they can.

And thats why intuition has it purpose. To break the cycle of a bad experience. Very right what you said.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Woman are better at feelings, eh. They know shit about feelings !

I agree. Women only believe they are better at feelings. They are not. This belief is a huge barrier to actually getting in touch with and understanding the role emotions play in our lives.

That book provided the analogy of feelings being like standing in the surf on an an ocean beach. The waves coming in are huge. They can easily knock you over and leave you struggling. Those waves are your emotions. If you try to stand and hold your ground, that makes the waves push you around that much harder and it's easier for them to hurt you. If on the other hand you let yourself ride the waves, just letting them come in and go out and not try to stand up straight, they'll lift you up and down fairly gently, instead of knocking you around and tripping you up. Let the emotions roll over you without fighting, and they treat you much more gently if you stand rigidly against them.

I've never heard that advice from any other source. The words that other people use to say the same things didn't connect with me (they do now, but the words leave so much unsaid).

Based on this, I find that I have to conclude that men need their own style of lessons on how to deal with feelings. There is a "guy way" to talk about this stuff. And it isn't about being macho or toxic masculinity or anything like that. It's that you have to connect to a guy as a GUY, and THEN what you say will register. If you try to explain emotions to a guy without making that connection, it's not gonna happen. More generally, you have to connect with an individual ON THEIR OWN TERMS, with the tough part being figuring out those terms, and THEN you can explain the very intimate topic of how they should deal with emotions. Part of figuring out that connection is figuring out where they are on the masculine/feminine spectrum to determine whether they need the "guy advice" or the "girl advice" (regardless of actual sex).

When something approaches "universally correct", it resonates as such for all. The waves have a more universal type of application and truth and thus ring more clear, that's how that feels to me. imo, it is not so much that each gender needs their own "guy advice" / "girl advice" (although I think that each person benefits from a tailored introduction to examining that place) it's more that so much of the purported advice out there is incorrect. Basically crap. As bad as still believing the earth is flat kind of crap.

I'd really like to add some thoughts to this thread, but right now my thoughts are just ingredients in a pot and I don't have time atm to let them simmer on the back burner until fully cooked and ready to eat. Suffice it to say that I find a great deal of women, despite being so pursuant of equality (equality meaning EQUAL let's remember) are so utterly invalidating of the unique male perspective and experience as to be utter hypocrites to their supposed goal. Men are different. They are first and foremost biologically and physiologically different. The hormonal effects of this difference have surged through them since they formed in utero. Not only that, men are facing tremendous societal challenge in our present time. Yes, they still do enjoy gender privilege in certain ways. But so do women. Now, I am not going to stand here and make a global type of declaration that there is not a great deal of distance yet to travel on this journey towards a thousand different measures of equality. But neither I am going to invalidate how men in general are feeling at this point in time by pointing out how equality still doesn't exist. Men are feeling shat upon. And I can appreciate many of the reasons why.

Because equality does NOT mean women get to enjoy male AND female privilege. It means exactly equal.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is exactly the mindset I was talking about. There's nothing wrong with any of the traits that you mentioned. At some point in any person's life, they will have to comply to someone else, to submit to someone else, to not necessarily be the most necessary person in the room, to not exactly know what they want, to be able to be emotional. Whether or not you feel they're compatible with your vision of adulthood, they're certainly part of being a whole and fully functioning human.

All the traits that you've described as "childish" and "undesirable" are just facets of the ability to be connected, open and emotionally honest. The whole point of this thread is that men are consistently denied the freedom to be those things and it's literally killing them. This view of femininity as something to be eschewed is the exact type of internalized self-loathing I've seen in a lot of Feminist thought, and I don't agree with it.

Everything requires balance. People should be encouraged to embrace not just the more positive versions of the feminine traits you mentioned, but also the more masculine ones you admire as well. A healthier version of "fully functional adulthood" should have room for both.
The highlighted is exactly my point. There are some positive "feminine" traits which should be embraced by everyone, but the ones I listed are not them. I chose my words carefully. You can accept help without being dependent; can accommodate others without being inherently compliant; defer to someone without being submissive; enjoy your physical appearance without being purely ornamental; and be emotionally expressive and spontaneous without being flighty/hysterical. Part of the difference is whether such traits are your default, reflexive, inherent nature, or whether you act in a way that looks like that because it makes sense in a specific situation.

But regardless of the cause of differences between sexes, I believe the following assessment is true: The difference between the average of all men and the average of all women is smaller than the average degree of difference between any two individuals. This means the relative impact of sex is small. When it comes to making a bet on another individual's behavior (or thoughts), it would be unwise to base a significant portion of the wager on that individual's sex. If you were going to analyze an individual, you'd extract much more value for your time out of analyzing many aspects other than their sex/gender.
Exactly. What is so hard about avoiding making assumptions and seeing each person as an individual?

I think that, while gender was always part of the equation, the greater issue for early, and arguably later, women's rights activists, was gender equality in the upper class. Many early suffragists and suufragettes were fighting for women in the privileged classes to have the same access to voting and work as their husbands, brothers and fathers. A noble cause indeed, but the dark side of it is that many of these women were still against any voting or equality for women and non-whites in the lower, working classes. They may have been fighting for an end to patriarchal government, but I don't think many of them really cared about any form of equality in the classes that may have needed it the most.
This was a significant bifurcation in the early women's rights movement. Some activists focused on the rights of working women, who formed the majority and were materially significantly more disadvantaged by their status than the wealthy. Of course these women spent most every waking moment just trying to keep themselves and their families going, and had little time for activism. Others focused on wealthy women, not always out of class prejudice, but sometimes out of a calculated decision to focus on the elements of society more able to exert influence on the political process, both the women themselves, and sympathetic men.

I think a male ESTP and a female ESTP are probably more similar to one another than, say, a female INTJ is similar to a female ESTP
That has been my experience, and the ways in which I am even more like female INTJs is largely irrelevant.

I's not about forcing anyone to fit a particular mold, it's about ending this backwards "men are supposed to become more like women to balance things out" because that doesn't benefit anyone, male or female, only the misguided feminists who don't really understand men or human sexuality. (And nor do they care to after thinking that way long enough, it's more about cherry-picking facts to suit their biases.)
Exactly which women are men not supposed to be like? You cannot generalize about women here any more than elsewhere, and any more about men.

Would you say that a female chipmunk is more like a female squirrel? Or a male chipmunk? :thinking:
Until you review the definition of species, any answer will not make sense.

Interesting that you know what I don't really know.
If you do in fact have conclusive evidence for the position you are advocating, you have quite the Nature paper in your future. The most one can say on this count is that the jury is still out. There is evidence on both sides, very few conclusions that can be supported, and even fewer with significant impact on daily life and decisions.

I agree that subconscious thoughts can be the product of socialization. They can also be the product of training. They can also be the the product of evolution. They can also be the product of one's sex. And yes, it's complicated, and there are very few one-to-one correspondences to be found. I wasn't arguing that it's that simple. Rather, all I was saying that even women who consciously believe that they want a man who is brave enough to cry, their unconscious side is going to put a check on that and say, "Yes, but only up to a point ..."
A correct observation, but then it is much easier to observe and to agree on actual human behavior than on its causes. I catch myself acting this way, too, and question it and rethink my response. Except when I don't catch myself. But every time I do, I become more sensitive to it, more aware of these reflexes, so I can bring them into the open and assess them on their merits.

Are you saying that some women like to have a guy that she can protect and provide safety and security, a guy that she pays for their dinner on the first date, a guy that get pregnant with her children, maybe a guy that wears a skirt and red lipstick who knows?! I didn't know that! That would be exceptional am I wrong?
Well, men aren't going to start getting pregnant any time soon, but I know plenty of women who will pay for a date, and look out for their man in a myriad of ways. My INTP far surpasses me in size and brute force strength, but in the modern information age, I am the one who keeps us safe from identity theft, protects our online accounts, sets up our home network and firewall, etc. Which is the more probable and realistic threat nowadays? And I happen to really like men in kilts . . .

See I might not be a woman that necessarily fit into stereotypes of vulnerable and meek or who spend the whole day doing traditional wife duties, I hate house chores, I hate when people set boundaries on my behavior, I'm viewed as stubborn by those who know me, so I don't typically fit into gender expectations, and I think most people aren't typically fit, but expectations are formed by knowing the nature of each gender
If you really want to go back to nature, it is females (mothers) who fight to protect, while males fight to possess (usually females), or simply to demonstrate superiority/skill. Also, it is usually the male of the species who has a flashier, more flamboyant appearance. Obviously humans lost that memo many generations ago.

Example of equality: when you and a baby have the same rights; I give you a chicken burger and give him a chicken burger (I apologize to all vegetarians for this example)
Example of justice: you and a baby have the same rights; I give you a chicken burger and give him cereals..
Trying to make women play roles of men and vice versa lacks a big deal of justice IMO
I do hope you are not equating women to babies here. That has been a huge part of the problem for ages.

You know the trope about how women start talking about their problems to men, and then the men, instead of just listening and being supportive, offer advice on how to solve the problem? Same thing. It's partly an aversion to dealing with emotions, but it's primarily (in my opinion) a tendency to deal with problems in a direct and analytical way that simply doesn't WORK on emotions.
IME this is much more related to type than to sex.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The highlighted is exactly my point. There are some positive "feminine" traits which should be embraced by everyone, but the ones I listed are not them. I chose my words carefully. You can accept help without being dependent; can accommodate others without being inherently compliant; defer to someone without being submissive; enjoy your physical appearance without being purely ornamental; and be emotionally expressive and spontaneous without being flighty/hysterical. Part of the difference is whether such traits are your default, reflexive, inherent nature, or whether you act in a way that looks like that because it makes sense in a specific situation.

Your post equated embracing femininity with necessarily indulging in the most immature and destructive version of it. It had nothing to do with the point I was making.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your post equated embracing femininity with necessarily indulging in the most immature and destructive version of it. It had nothing to do with the point I was making.
I wrote:
It depends on which feminine archetype you reference. Some include traits like being dependent, compliant, submissive, ornamental, flighty/more prone to hysteria, etc. I find it hard to see any of these as compatible with being a fully functional and responsible adult. See my speculation above about how traits were assigned to the masculine vs. feminine bin.
You started off by mentioning "abhorrence of the archetypically feminine", to which I responded by pointing out that there are many feminine archetypes out there, some of which do indeed present an immature and destructive version of femininity.

You wrote:
There's nothing wrong with any of the traits that you mentioned.

Where the traits I mentioned are
being dependent, compliant, submissive, ornamental, flighty/more prone to hysteria
I suppose it can all be construed as a matter of personal taste, but I for one find a great deal wrong with these particular traits as traits, as opposed to as descriptors of a singular action.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You wrote:
There's nothing wrong with any of the traits that you mentioned.

being dependent, compliant, submissive, ornamental, flighty/more prone to hysteria

I suppose it can all be construed as a matter of personal taste, but I for one find a great deal wrong with these particular traits as traits, as opposed to as descriptors of a singular action.

I do believe that you have just declared war on all ENFPs ...

:run:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wrote:

There are many feminine archetypes out there. By referencing the wrong one, one can easily be embracing an immature and destructive version of femininity.

You wrote:

My response was that these things you label as negative are facets of larger things which are good and valuable. That you are so focused on these things in isolation just indicates to me that you've missed that bigger picture.

Connection, vulnerability, expressiveness and any number of archetypically feminine things are valuable enough that its worthwhile to open the door to the things you described. I'm ok with those downsides to have the immense good that they are connected to.

I'd also point out that I wasnt advocating either/or. Masculine and feminine work together to balance each other out, which is why we need to value the role of both. Belligerence, dominance, bloody mindedness and cruelty are just as negative as the traits you've mentioned but are still valued because of their masculine connontation.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do hope you are not equating women to babies here. That has been a huge part of the problem for ages.

No, I'm giving examples of how each person has different needs, in case of men and women they have different roles, different nature, and of course different needs