• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many of you don't have problems with nightmares?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How many of you have problems with nightmares?

When people say that they have nightmeres I find it quite strange.
The reason for that is that I don't have nightmares at all.

Also I will expand the question to: About what do you have nightmares?

I know that I am asking quite personal question but if someone wants to share, thread is here.
If a nightmare is defined as a dream that scares me rather than just a run of the mill bad dream,
I have not had one in many years.
I used to have them a lot when I was a child, and also when I was older,
before I did a lot of emotional healing.

Sometimes when I'm stressed out, I dream about tornadoes or getting shot,
but I'm not actually afraid in my dream.

The last nightmare I remember was that my mother wanted to kill me.
I used to frequently dream of falling. That was scary, too.

sassafrassquatch

I never have nice dreams, don't know if they could be called nightmares but they're definitely not pleasant.

The usual format of my dreams is I'm at my old high school, oddly it never bares any resemblance to the actual school building. I'm searching for my unrequited crush/brief girlfriend but can't find her or I see her briefly rounding a corner in the hall. Eventually I get the feeling that I'm not supposed to be there and I'm afraid of getting caught by the principal. (After I dropped out of school in junior year I went back a few times to see my friends but I didn't have a guest pass and the principal caught me. I didn't get in trouble, he just told me to leave but I felt mortal fear.) The fear of being caught grows, I see the principal and run way eventually I'm frightened awake.

I don't dream very often but most of the time it's a variation of that basic plot. Every frickin time. :dry:

Then there are the dreams that are almost a sex dream but I always get cockblocked. Those suck.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't have nightmares. I have dreams that could be nightmares because they are sometimes quite disturbing stuff, but I don't think they are nightmares because I'm not scared in them.

The last real nightmare I had was when I had really high fewer as a child.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm relatively dreamless until I know something very stressful is coming up, and then all of the sudden nightmares come in rapid-fire succession, two or three a night.

The feeling wears off after about fifteen minutes, but still. It's ridiculous.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I have nightmares every now and then. Mostly, I dream that I die or am about to die, or that a close friend dies.

As a kid, I dreamt that I was being chased. Every single night. For years. I was actually scared of going to sleep. The nightmares stopped one night when I found a horse from a movie I had seen that day, and fled. Best night of my life.

Occasionally, when under great emotional stress, my dreams involve massive amounts of jealousy.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Also I will expand the question to: About what do you have nightmares?

I know that I am asking quite personal question but if someone wants to share, thread is here.

I rarely ever have nightmares either. Though when I do, I find the frightening aspect is always something to do with a phenomena of nature chasing me while I'm unable to hide or get away (like a tornado, tsunami, whirlpool, water spout). It's really the feeling of being overwhelmed by something out of my control, which, you guessed it, is the emotion/stressor/event in reality that causes such nightmares.

When I was a child, however, I did have nightterrors (which is...a nightmare + hallucinations on waking). Most were about darkness swallowing me up. The worst one was where I dreamt that bees flew in my bedroom window and were attacking me as a swarm. I woke up, and started screaming because my senses were going haywire and I mistook the purple static I saw (I guess from waking up so fast) as bees, the movement of the blankets settling on me as the bees attacking me, and the very quiet hum of the AC as the sound of the bees. I remember even when my mother sat down on the edge of my bed I was so far gone mentally that I thought she was a giant queen bee.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sleep is the reprieve I get from many a nightmarish days.

So no, in the technical sense, I do not have problems with nightmares.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have nightmares quite often. But I kind of enjoy it :) Mine are mostly about stressful situations, like being hunted in various ways. I usually win or wake up, though, so it is not that bad.

I have those, but I don't think they count as nightmares if you win.

Usehername

On a mission
When I was sleeping in the compound that they held Ghandi in prison for (which has been reconverted into a community centre) I woke up crying two nights in a row, not knowing why.

Not to say I haven't had my share of creepy disturbing nightmares, but I really don't have a problem with them.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I very rarely have nightmares. Perhaps a couple a year.

They have their own distinct feel. Their own atmosphere. It isn't describable. But I can wake myself up before anything actually happens.

+1 to the semi-lucid. If I'm feeling brave, then I can take it on, because I know it's just a dream.

I used to get a lot of nightmares as a child. Basically gruesome faces.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I rarely have bad dreams. If my life is interesting atm, they're boring, and vice versa.

I just had a nap dream which wasn't a nightmare, just really depressing. Was staying with some family I don't even know, and we stayed in an awful bed & breakfast which was just a crappy old house. I'd have killed a puppy for a Holiday Inn. And for some silly reason we went to a nightclub to see stand-up comedy. They were practically closing the place down, and there were six people sitting on a bench--The entire audience. Two comics were arguing over who would get to do their act.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I used to have one particular recurring nightmare from the age of about 9 to 26, then it just stopped *touch wood*. The particulars would change, but the basic theme was always the same.

I haven't had one for a long time, but I haven't dreamed much at all that I remember for quite a while. Most probably because I don't sleep long enough in one go very often to get to REM sleep... which might explain why I'm a little whacko :mellow:

But if I do dream, it's usually an awesome adventure AND I can sorta control it as I dream it, too. I'm always aware that I'm dreaming, in my dreams, and they're extremely vivid.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I more frequently had nightmares in high school, but pretty much every 2 weeks or so I dream that something is after me, whether it's the Klan, Hitler, a ghost or someone without a face and I always wake up just as they catch me. I used to dream that I was falling, always backwards so that I couldn't see where I was falling, when I was getting courted by a variety of Universities :shock: doesn't make sense to have recurring nightmares of falling when most successful!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
hmm last nightmare I had was. I was taking a test and it was open book but I could not think. So I was doing really bad on the test and everyone was breezing through it except me. Then in the middle of the dream I decided to change clothes so I was in the middle of class naked, yet being naked didn't bother me. Before that was months ago where my brother's fiance died in a car wreck. But when i was younger (under 14) I had nightmares every night, to the point of I was afraid to sleep. But now not so much.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But if I do dream, it's usually an awesome adventure AND I can sorta control it as I dream it, too. I'm always aware that I'm dreaming, in my dreams, and they're extremely vivid.

That is so cool. I'm jealous.

I hardly ever have nightmares (once to three times a year?), but I've had recurring nightmares around the theme of mirrors since I was about five years old. When I was a little kid, I was terrified of looking into the mirror when it was dark out because I thought my image was a separate being, or something... like my evil twin? I don't know. Usually these dreams connect to the idea of losing my mind. It gets creepy.

But then again, for every nightmare I have like that (probably loaded with psychology), I have one when I get chased by a wolf. Ah well.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Antisocial_one said:

Well, I think the number of dreams (and by extension, nightmares) you'll remember has much to do with how you sleep and how you act when you awaken and when you awaken (during REM or during nREM). Everyone (who isn't knocking themselves out completely on sleep meds) has several dreams a night, but I believe the ones you remember are the (REM) ones you awaken in- sometimes full stop awakening in the morning, or a heavy roll in the night.

Also, you might not be a person who ordinarily pays a lot of attention to your dreams. Even taking 3 minutes in the morning when you wake to quickly consolidate and jot down one or two words can greatly improve dream memory, if you're interested. Or, like someone previously said, you're not easily frightened by dreams.

JivinJeffJones said:
My tentative theory is that my family's grandfather clock played a major role in my nightmares. That fucker had a helluva scary chime, with which it sounded every hour. I suspect that such chimes were often the point at which my dreams took a scary turn.

That's scary. Your hearing is supposed to work perfectly fine during sleep, right?

When I do get nightmares, it's of being chased usually. And hiding. Very, very silently trying not ot even breathe even though I've run and my lungs are bursting. These aren't usually disturbing once I've awakened though. The distubing "nightmares" are really more "what ifs" based on my real-life disappointments and anxieties- pretty revealing of what my mind's been worrying about.

I usually am quite awake once I'm awake and don't remember dreams at all, but sometimes when I'm in that half-awake, half-dreaming thing where you close your eyes and you're in and out of the dream for snatches of 3-5 minutes or so- that feeling of sinking and being pulled in both directions- and of not having full control can be quite terrifying on its own regardless of dream content.

And sometimes you just got those uber-bizarre dreams that are kind of creepy when you think about them. (Masochistic kicking game in a carpet-rental store.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
That is so cool. I'm jealous.

I hardly ever have nightmares (once to three times a year?), but I've had recurring nightmares around the theme of mirrors since I was about five years old. When I was a little kid, I was terrified of looking into the mirror when it was dark out because I thought my image was a separate being, or something... like my evil twin? I don't know. Usually these dreams connect to the idea of losing my mind. It gets creepy.

No, wait - THAT is awesome!! I mean, in the same way I thought a thriller movie was awesome cos it scared the living shit outta me and had me on pins and needles for days lol