• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

J or P?

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I get along fine with the Ps who don't make it their mission to help me see the supposed error of my ways and "loosen [me] up".

Mole

Permabanned
What is normal?

Normal, dear Hmm, is easy to measure. And when you graph your measurements they turn out to be shaped like a bell - with almost everyone in the middle and only the very tiniest number at either end.

So normal is a statistical term and almost everyone is normal. But this is disguised in a society where everyone says, "I am an individual". And where it is just not cool to be normal.

I mean who wants to be Norma Normal?

So we have a situation where it is not cool to be normal but we socially exclude the tiny number of the subnormal and the abnormal.

This is called cognitive dissonance.

And if we can tolerate the mental pain of cognitive dissonance, we can learn something new.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Normal, dear Hmm, is easy to measure. And when you graph your measurements they turn out to be shaped like a bell - with almost everyone in the middle and only the very tiniest number at either end.

What are the units of measurement?

Mole

Permabanned
What are the units of measurement?

In measuring normality we are not measuring a quantity, rather we are making a comparison.

So the units of measurement can be relatively arbitrary, as long they are constant in all measurements, so that a reliable and valid comparison can be made.

What is extraordinary is that almost all human characteristics, and I mean almost all, fall under the same graph, called a Bell Curve.

That means that almost all of us are normal.

This makes evolutionary sense as we only need a very tiny number of the subnormal and the abnormal to enable us to adapt to a changed environment.

And we need a large number of normal people now who are adapted to our present environment.

And the social exclusion of the subnormal and the abnormal makes sense as a way of restricting their ability to reproduce until the environment changes sufficiently for them to be fit.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In measuring normality we are not measuring a quantity, rather we are making a comparison.

So the units of measurement can be relatively arbitrary, as long they are constant in all measurements, so that a reliable and valid comparison can be made.

True enough, but to assemble a graph, you're going to need units to assign to the X and Y axes. The Y axis is simple enough; the number of people. For the X axis I propose "normalcrons".

The test could have questions like:

When was the last time you read a book of 300 or more pages?

a.) Within the past week.
b.) Within the past month.
c.) Within the past year.
d.) Fuck you, man, when was the last time you got laid?

Note to those who selected option d: please refrain from turning around and totally high-fiving your buddies during the designated testing period.

The responses would be weighted as such:

a: 1 point
b: 2 points
c: 3 points
d: 4 points

The questions and responses would be selected such the number of points equivalent to an equal number of "b" and "c" responses would be the center of the bell curve.

Mole

Permabanned
True enough, but to assemble a graph, you're going to need units to assign to the X and Y axes. The Y axis is simple enough; the number of people. For the X axis I propose "normalcrons".

The test could have questions like:

When was the last time you read a book of 300 or more pages?

a.) Within the past week.
b.) Within the past month.
c.) Within the past year.
d.) Fuck you, man, when was the last time you got laid?

Note to those who selected option d: please refrain from turning around and totally high-fiving your buddies during the designated testing period.

The responses would be weighted as such:

a: 1 point
b: 2 points
c: 3 points
d: 4 points

The questions and responses would be selected such the number of points equivalent to an equal number of "b" and "c" responses would be the center of the bell curve.

I don't understand psychometrics so I can't really say.

But I suspect on a Bell Curve you are looking at a large number of points randomly selected.

How you gather the data would be interesting. I guess you would want to avoid your own biases and perhaps you would want some kind of double blind.

And what you are looking for in the data is comparison - so you would need an excellent grasp of statistics.

And of course the last thing you would ever do is test yourself because your data would be contaminated from the word go.

So where does that leave us?

It leaves us testing ourselves. And it is fun, social and free. So why not?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I get along fine with the Ps who don't make it their mission to help me see the supposed error of my ways and "loosen [me] up".
I know, right?!
I LIKE being this way.
I would hate being a "P"!

(Of course, if I was a "P" I know I technically would like it,
since it would be my preference,
but you know what I mean.
If you don't know what I mean,
you are an "S".)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I know, right?!
I LIKE being this way.
I would hate being a "P"!

(Of course, if I was a "P" I know I technically would like it,
since it would be my preference,
but you know what I mean.
If you don't know what I mean,
you are an "S".)

And if you do not like apple pie, you are a nazi !

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And if you do not like apple pie, you are a nazi !

Since I've never once in my life seen a Nazi eating apple pie, this is clearly irrefutable.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
lol to above post

and as far as my J friends go: 3 ENTJs, 2 ISFJs, 3 INFJs, 2 ISTJs, 1 ENFJs, 4 ESTJs, 1 ESFJ

so to answer your question, yes, Ps and Js can get along

that's off the top of my head at 1:12 in the morning

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Considering that many Ps are quite obviously annoying and should be shot plus many of my friends and family are Js I'd say yes.

Personally I'm more likely to befriend a J than a P because at least you know what you've got without having to try and bring out the industrial tools to get at the interesting stuff. There's nothing more annoying to me than a habitually avoidant P!

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Sometimes it's the reverse though. Sometimes a certain J I know will SAY she doesn't mind, but only because her Fe doesn't want her to appear bossy. She does have a preference, but says she doesn't. So she forces me to choose where we eat, say, and then sits there like a wet weekend the whole way through. Then later tells me she didn't want to go to that place and it makes her feel uncomfortable but she just went there because I suggested it, then accuses me of being bossy! :steam:

I've learned now to counter this with insistance that she chooses where we eat and *I* don't mind if she's bossy :laugh:
Argh . . . I had a picky ESTJ-friend pull this same thing. So half-way through she was clearly less than thrilled. I told her I refused to let her ruin it for me when she clearly had preferences she didn't express and I was the one who truly didn't care where we went. And then I ate my dinner with relish.
Err . . . Not the condiment, the 'tude.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Considering that many Ps are quite obviously annoying and should be shot plus many of my friends and family are Js I'd say yes.

Personally I'm more likely to befriend a J than a P because at least you know what you've got without having to try and bring out the industrial tools to get at the interesting stuff. There's nothing more annoying to me than a habitually avoidant P!

cuz you're a J!!! :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
cuz you're a J!!! :D
Some, of course, resist even the most thorough measures... this is what we, in the know, breed special cats for. Talk or your thighs get acupunctured into next week!!!

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i like Js. i prefer to be the only anomaly in my environment, so i tend to be more comfortable around them in a "i like to know my boundaries so i can break them" sort of way.

i dont like when people "J me out", but that really has nothing to do with real J-types as much as someone exemplifying the more annoying of the stereotypes

like, you know, you have to put your dishes in the washer a certain way, or whatever. what if i dont want to take the mule tour once we're in mexico? i need to save my pesos for questionable looking street food

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is on my mind again today. Still wondering.

Any personal experiences to share?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Look at it this way.

In the case that they can get along this world would have collapsed long ago.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
The closest thing I have to a friend is a J.
So yes.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, Hmm; for your consideration.

It's no worry if there's a might too much for you to grapple with -- I tend to get verbose when frustrated.

Thanks. I've just read a few posts of that and I can tell it's something that might help me. Why are you frustrated though?