• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Highly Sensitive People

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
Does being a highly sensitive person have something in common with mbti type? what do you know about hsp and do you know any (famous) hsp and do you consider yourself being a highly sensitive person?

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I'm not highly sensitive, but associate it with ISFJ.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I was one, when I was a kid. I still am but I try to keep it up for situations, when it is worth spending.

Could have something to do with mbti. For me it was: I was thinking that I see so much more than others about the world, through Ne than they do and I wanted them to understand that. Of course that didnt worked out, cause I was just beginning to grasp things and could not really explain them. I dressed gothic and bought a nice dark leather coat I still have :).

Today I see things different. There are still alot of people, who are idiots. But I began to concentrate my efforts on understanding the world not inward into myself, but outward with some people, who see things like I do. Like on the forums here for example. That helps to elevate some of the stress.

And furthermore I have began to reason about things and to not let my feelings cloud my judgement.

There are still moments I go high wire and start to%

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an HSP.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know much about HSP but I'm pretty sensitive.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not highly sensitive, but associate it with ISFJ.

I think it overlaps with a number of types and is definitely not confined to ISFJ.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What kind of sensitivity are we talking about?

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
Does being a highly sensitive person have something in common with mbti type? what do you know about hsp and do you know any (famous) hsp and do you consider yourself being a highly sensitive person?

Yes. I am most certainly a Highly Sensitive Person, and I am an INFP. It probably does relate to type. Just from my personal observations, I've noticed that INFPs are more succeptible to anxiety disorders and sleep paralysis than other types, and that INTPs, who are similar to INFPs, are likely to suffer from these same problems as well as depression, paranoia, and personality disorders. Perhaps these types are more likely to experience a hightened sensitivity, and maybe that sensitivity is the source of the other psychological problems.

This is not to say that we are the only types who can fall into the HSP category, but it does seem that many of us are Highly Sensitive People, moreso than is probably common for the other types. For instance, the explosive ESTJ is probably not going to be as emotionally receptive as an implosive INFP because the ESTJ self primarily pushes internal things outward instead of pulling external things inward. They flow differently and would not be likely to have the same vulnerabilities. The very form of the ESTJ personality would prevent or protect against invasion. The INFP might not have the same boundaries because many of us can't help but draw in all that we experience. The INTPs might do this with objective information, while the INFPs are likely to do this with emotions. Either can overwhelm a person. I can't relate to the S experience, but I imagine sensory overload would have a similar effect. I just don't have enough information about the S types yet. This is an interesting topic. I can hardly wait to see which types respond to this thread.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Looking at the wikipedia entry, it seems vaguely IJ-ish.

Unless I'm missing something that dear wiki hasn't supplied me with?

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
As I understand it, it isn't restricted to type.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a HSP - I seem to have a lower threshhold for bright lights or sustained loud noises, and if I can't get away from them, I feel rattled.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most of the people I know that are HSPs are F types. But that's just the people I know though.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reading the wiki, it seems this term could apply to many people. I guess it's a nicer term than shyness/skittishness. It'd be hard to test since I doubt the average "sensitivity" is known, and probably many people would like to see themselves as more sensitive than the norm, so I suspect the accuracy is low.

My INFP mom says she's HSP, but she self-diagnoses as a lot of things, I've stopped paying attention. Reading the description though, it does sound like her (and me for that matter). Probably correlates with I and F especially, though not exclusively. Sounds like a very NF term, though, and I've heard more INFPs talking about it than any other type whenever the topic is brought up.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Most of the people I know that are HSPs are F types. But that's just the people I know though.

I would agree with that in general, although I have a ESFP close friend who's daughter is an ESTP, and she's very sensitive. Not emotionally, but physically. Seemed like the poor girl was constantly having allergic reactions to things, or being overwhelmed by situations where there was a great deal of sensory imput.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ah, well it seems I have got the term wrong.

I am HSP to dog barks. When they bark, I shrug together and bark back. They bark again, I bark back. They bark again I bark back. This can go on for hours xD

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Is HSP correlated to sensory defensiveness? Or are they completely different?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am not an HSP, but I do understand the distinction and personally know a couple people who I'd consider HSPs. My mind tends to make judicious use of the squelch knob for most intense things (sensory or emotional); in fact I often feel I'm too desensitized to a lot of things, and that makes me feel bored/dumb at times.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think you're an HSP if you just have emotional sensitivity or just physical sensitivity...don't you need both to be an HSP?