User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I would say I'm an HSP. I get easily overwhelmed by noise and crowds. I mute the tv when commercials come on, because the excess noise just grates on my nerves, and I can't tune them out. I'm pretty sensitive to the moods of others, as well.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

are we talking 'oh my gosh, that's so loud!' sensitive or 'my life is ruined' sensitive?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    are we talking 'oh my gosh, that's so loud!' sensitive or 'my life is ruined' sensitive?
    We're talking "Ow, that hurts my ears, please stop" sensitive as well as "omgtoomuchhappeningatonceIneedtocurlupinaballsome wheremakeitstopplz" sensitive.

I'm sure there are other phrases that work as well.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    We're talking "Ow, that hurts my ears, please stop" sensitive as well as "omgtoomuchhappeningatonceIneedtocurlupinaballsome wheremakeitstopplz" sensitive.

Kind of like, HOLYCRAPWOULDSOMEONEPLEASETURNTHATOFFBEFOREISHOVEF ORKSINMYEARS???!?!?! sensitive.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post

those are some very different things there. is it really a good idea to group them into one thing?

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Not sure about HSP, but if sensitivity doesn't decrease and also if someone's skin doesn't get thicker, then the perception of others can get a person categorized as an HSP... no?.

I say this cause with an increase in awareness if sensitivity doesn't decrease & is accompanied by a lack of thickening of the skin, then the ability to sense and experience emotions resulting from events/observations/experiences should naturally only get heightened.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I wouldn't call myself a HSP. I can handle quite a bit, but my eyes have always been sensitive to light. Sometimes I have to wear sunglasses to drive even when it's overcast.

MBTI
    INFJ

It isn't shyness and it isn't vomiting at the touch of nylon. For me it's too much noise (or too loud), bright lights and a lot of activity. Superstores are very overwhelming. It's not a phobia, it's sensory overload leading to fatigue, edginess and not feeling "right." And that can lead to emotional upset.

Like Cafe's, our house is pretty quiet. My husband and kids listen to loud music and movies behind closed doors or with headphones. A strong bass makes me unsettled.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    It isn't shyness and it isn't vomiting at the touch of nylon. For me it's too much noise (or too loud), bright lights and a lot of activity. Superstores are very overwhelming. It's not a phobia, it's sensory overload leading to fatigue, edginess and not feeling "right." And that can lead to emotional upset.

Like Cafe's, our house is pretty quiet. My husband and kids listen to loud music and movies behind closed doors or with headphones. A strong bass makes me unsettled.
    Yeah, it's funny, I actually quite like loud music if it's something I've chosen. If it's not my taste or I'm trying to do something else, it affects me very negatively. And I can't tune music out at ALL. It was my downfall when I worked in retail--I couldn't tune out the Muzak.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

How could you guys interpret "highly sensitive people" as physically hypersensitive? Why the hell would anyone care about your tolerance for loud noises? I thought Lady Jaye was just being clever with her comment, but you guys have taken it seriously. Stay in the box, people!!! (That last sentence makes me an ENFP failure.)

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I wiki'd it. Please disregard that last statement.

It seems to fit nicely with the physiological definition of introversion (having an overstimulated nervous system... which is a vague concept, but I don't feel like tackling that one just yet).

Musical taste is a nice indicator of sensitivity that combines both physical and emotional aspects. I can say for sure that my INFJ mother is extremely sensitive to emotional intensity and volume to a some extent (she describes Shostakovich's music as punishment). My ENTP dad, on the other hand, just head bangs with it (as do I). On the other hand, my INFP bff loves Shostie and the rest of my crazy intense music. Judging from this grossly inadequate sample size, I think it might be a matter of how one internalizes the input. An IJ may just be better at it (perhaps it's a default process since their perceiving function is introverted), whereas a P may be more inclined to just let the external stimuli pass into one ear and out the other. The introversion itself may just make I's more inclined to internalize it in the first place (as opposed to EJs). But I'm just brainstorming, so none of this is solid.