• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

leaving voicemails = awkward

is leaving a voice message a terrible and awkward thing for you?

• Total voters

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
If the call goes to voicemail, I'll end the call and send a message if I can.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
If someone is not answering their phone or have it off, why not just send text message instead of voice message?

noyo

I actually prefer leaving voice mails over texting because it takes much less time and it's much easier for me to express myself and get to the point by talking than it is through writing.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
is there anyone who is actually comfortable leaving voice messages?

Well depends.
Sometimes it's perfectly natural.
Sometimes my brain remembers that I'm just talking to myself (well I never forget that but sometimes it gets more naggy) then I lose track of what I was going to say and start feeling a bit awkward. But overall it's fine.

Still dislike it though. because there are other & better options

are you a wizard? :huh:
Yes

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If someone is not answering their phone or have it off, why not just send text message instead of voice message?

Because that's not an option when calling people on their office phones. Not everyone has a mobile available for work purposes and even when they do, texting isn't always available.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate talking on the phone it makes me feel awkward, and abhor voice mails, I rarely leave a voicemail, and prefer texting..

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because that's not an option when calling people on their office phones. Not everyone has a mobile available for work purposes and even when they do, texting isn't always available.

Okay, i forgot those things still exist in some countries :D

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm an old guy so I'm more accustomed to voice than text.

The trick is to deliver a voice mail like an announcement: Name, number, message, number again. It's best to assume you'll get voice mail so you'll be ready. Of course, then you're surprised when a live human picks up. (That's a whole 'nother topic: reaching a live person when you really wanted to just leave a voice mail.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if its a new number and the person might not have my number and no texting which is ridiculous its 2015 i'll leave a voicemail

if i don't have you in my phone and i don't get a voicemail or text i probably won't answer or call back because sales calls do that and i'd rather not risk talking to someone who wants to sale me 50 lbs of potting soil so yeah. but really a text is the best thing you can do

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Although aside from doctors offices, it seems that nobody listens to voicemails in the first place. They just call back and say "hey I saw that you left me a message."

I think the only reason why I don't do that myself is that voicemails get translated to text and shot to me via email, which means that I don't have to go through and check messages.

á´…eparted

passages
Although aside from doctors offices, it seems that nobody listens to voicemails in the first place. They just call back and say "hey I saw that you left me a message."

It ticks me off when people do this :dry:. I mean, if they call back instantly because they missed the call from their phone being in the other room or something, that's fine. Otherwise it just strikes me as lazy and rude.

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't mind leaving voicemails, but I generally don't anticipate needing to. So I tend to improvise what I say, which I'm generally good at, but oftentimes I get off track and start talking about something else or forget what I was saying, etc. It's easier to have someone to play off sometimes.

It's especially annoying when I make appointments or do other important, adult-y things (EW, adulting.) I called my psychiatrist the other day for a phone chat since I'm away in college and wasn't able to have a regular visit, and when I left the message to say which times I was available I stuttered and "ummm"ed like mad.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It ticks me off when people do this :dry:. I mean, if they call back instantly because they missed the call from their phone being in the other room or something, that's fine. Otherwise it just strikes me as lazy and rude.
People leaving messages to suffer through are too lazy to type.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I hate voicemails so much. It's such a hassle to listen to them, and leaving them is just so awkward because I find I never know how to end them.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I can forgive it if and only if the person just immediately calls you back because they missed your call. It's probably easier on everyone for me to just reiterate rather than having you listen to my voicemail first.

... Wait. I read your first line, typed my post, and then read the rest of your post. Oh. Yeah. We totally agree.
I'm an old guy so I'm more accustomed to voice than text.

The trick is to deliver a voice mail like an announcement: Name, number, message, number again. It's best to assume you'll get voice mail so you'll be ready. Of course, then you're surprised when a live human picks up. (That's a whole 'nother topic: reaching a live person when you really wanted to just leave a voice mail.)

This is what I do. I'm going to leave a message, I want it to be clear. If I don't have the luxury of synchronous communication, then I especially need to be clear upfront.

I figure that I know the reason why I tried to call you in the first place, so I can just tell you that reason if I don't get you.

On the other side of the phone, I'm not a fan of "Hello, this is (colleague). I have a question for you. Please call me back." You could stand to say at least two words about your question so that I can think just a bit and frame the whole discussion before we talk!! "I have a question for you about racecars." would suffice.

I do also like when people shoot a text when they don't get me, but again, my voicemail system translates to text anyway.

I don't leave voicemails. If someone sees that I called them then they should just call me back when they have time, or text me.
It seems that there are different approaches to this one. I figure that if they don't leave a voicemail, then they probably just wanted to chit-chat and I'll get back to them Whenever. Which is the best approach? I'm not sure.

Call me three times in a row, and I will drop what I'm doing.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
is there anyone who is actually comfortable leaving voice messages?

are you a wizard? :huh:

You call, leave your message, leave your name and number, say thanks, and hang up. What's the issue? I even do it at work without issue, and I have to call angry clients and contractors a lot of the time to deliver bad news...I'd much rather leave a voicemail than have them pick up lol! ;)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only reason I ever disliked them in a work setting was because I really really hate playing phone tag, so whenever I'd get voicemail, it was like, 'uggh'.

Generally though I don't mind these days, all I do is say, 'hey, it's cascade, calling about X, call me back when you're able to!', or 'Hey, just returning your call, call me back'. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

I have a much, much worse time with phone calls as a way to catch up, I'm pretty sure because I get a lot of anxiety around how to say bye / end the convo. ;) But phone calls with a purpose? Super easy.