• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Medication for Adult ADD

Crabs

Permabanned
I specified ADD instead of ADHD because I'm concerned about treatments for the more inattentive types than hyperactive, but all anecdotes are welcome. Have you, or anyone you've known, taken Adderall or other stimulants for the treatment of adult ADD? If so, what impact did it have on academic and job performance? Overall, did the pros outweigh the cons?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was actually doing quite great with adderall... I could actually sit down and read textbooks without having to reread the page several times and I could stand in one place without running off to something and stop and listen to someone when they were speaking. It was pretty beneficial with both work and school because I had previously been overlooked by management on a pretty regular basis because I would take off mid conversation whenever something happened and drugged I managed to put a pause in before running off to explain what was wrong and why I was gong to run off. Not to mention that I managed to actually complete my paperwork for once!

unfortunately, I've had another prescription changed up and the interaction between the two is a bit less than fun, so I'll probably have to switch to something else :(

I would say that the pros did outweigh the cons by far... I could actually focus on things long enough to get them done. Other than it improving my ability to sweat and making me thirsty there weren't really any other cons that I can think of.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Adderall helps me a lot. I went through 18 years without it just using coping skills and I survived- BUT... with adderall its like I just dont need to try so hard when it comes to my ADHD.

Adderall isnt without its bad parts too. As with all mental health medications there are tradeoffs... such as... having a hard time eating and having anxiety if I take it after not taking it for a few days.

But it helps me function so I prefer taking it. Even if its not exactly fun