• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

talk first, then think!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been criticized over the years for my habit of saying whatever is on my mind at the time without really bothering to think things through before talking. This occasionally gets some odd looks and makes people wonder if I'm really all that bright at all- not to mention it tends to ruffle the feathers of more proper people.

Of the people I know it's usually the ExxPs who have this habit as well.

Is this really type related or a sign that I am, perhaps, as some have suggested, a throuroghly uncouth idiot? :huh:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I'm sure it's pretty normal when an Extroverted Perceptive function is running unhinged.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The ENTP I knew best would talk first, then never think about the horrible thing he said. True story.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Uh, you could be both ;) Some would say you are one because of the other . . .
I used to do this more often in the past. Now for whatever reason I stop to think, but I'm not sure if it's the force of necessary habit warping natural inclinations or getting to be more myself.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It usually doesn't occur to me that I HAVE said something horrible until I'm told that I did- then my first thought is always "why are people so damned sensitive?"

worse yet, this is not improving with age :doh:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
It usually doesn't occur to me that I HAVE said something horrible until I'm told that I did- then my first thought is always "why are people so damned sensitive?"

Oh noes!
I hear you, though. If age isn't improving it, try to keep track of the things that you say that get you into hot water and self-monitor a bit. That's assuming you want to stop getting into hot water. Sometimes it doesn't matter that you think/know they are being hypersensitive.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

if it's funny you can get away with this around me. Though I try not to get upset when someone says something insensitve, cuz I've done the same to others. without meaning to.

I do also wonder about overly sensitive people. I mean worse things happen beyond getting offended. And if you're going to get offended at everything then when will you have time to have fun? that's how I look it.

I'm not going to usually purposely offend someone.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm the same as you whatever, but I have learned to pause a fraction of a second before talking... this causes various problems...

- it's natural to me to just say what's on my mind
- in order to not do that, it takes quite a lot of effort
- if I'm using all that effort in restraining myself then that leaves less spare for listening
- so I'll use the time while the other person's talking to think of what I'm going to say and edit it before printing, so to speak
- although I don't say tactless things as often, I do get complained at for not listening

I guess the way I see it really, if I'm honest, is that some people just are stupidly sensitive, and there's no getting away from that. So I have learned to be careful and figure out what sorts of things people tend to get offended by and avoid saying those things, or being more careful to figure out where a person's "offence threshold" is before speaking.

But I still reserve the right to think that they're silly and, perhaps not overly sensitive but just sensitive about pointless things that I can't see any point being sensitive about.

We can all accommodate each other as much as we can and I think that's about as much as a person can ask of another person, realistically, that we keep our thoughts to ourselves if they're not polite. But it goes beyond the pale really to expect a person to not even THINK the things that are natural to them... lol

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I
I guess the way I see it really, if I'm honest, is that some people just are stupidly sensitive, and there's no getting away from that. So I have learned to be careful and figure out what sorts of things people tend to get offended by and avoid saying those things, or being more careful to figure out where a person's "offence threshold" is before speaking.

But I still reserve the right to think that they're silly and, perhaps not overly sensitive but just sensitive about pointless things that I can't see any point being sensitive about.
+1

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Is this really type related or a sign that I am, perhaps, as some have suggested, a throuroghly uncouth idiot? :huh:

It's definitely a type-related shortcoming, but that doesn't mean you're off the hook. ;) ENTPs can develop Fe and become very good at knowing what to say and what not to say - just look at Obama.

In my view it's a question of motivation rather than inability: If deprived of sufficient stimulation, ENTPs become disillusioned and develop a habit of not giving a damn by way of amusing themselves. So make worthy friends, and you'll find yourself wanting to be - and with some practice successfully being - considerate of them. :yes: (And through that practice you'll also become able to control how considerate you are of everyone else.)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't change! I love people like that! They say all the stuff I wish I would say but I get all timid too much of the time.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah. I wish I could be more like that. I get too unsure a lot though. The problem with this is that you never *know* how the person would've reacted then. And perhaps it would've been bad or good...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been criticized over the years for my habit of saying whatever is on my mind at the time without really bothering to think things through before talking. This occasionally gets some odd looks and makes people wonder if I'm really all that bright at all- not to mention it tends to ruffle the feathers of more proper people.

Heh If you want to see the problems I have with this, just take a look at my last blog entry, although that is a relatively extreme example. :blush:

Seriously, though, I have a problem with speaking before I think. And writing before I think. And sometimes even acting before I think. Except, of course, when I *have* to speak, write, or act quickly. Then I blank out, of course. :p

ygolo

My termites win

There is nothing wrong with that at all. Funny think is even as a severe introvert, I do the same thing too. Just at a MUCH slower pace.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah. I wish I could be more like that. I get too unsure a lot though. The problem with this is that you never *know* how the person would've reacted then. And perhaps it would've been bad or good...

That's the real Achilles heel of Ne I think. That you just can't live with yourself for not finding something out when you had the opportunity, so... *cringe*

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Heh, I've had plenty of problem with this, although I try to control it somewhat. When I am self monitoring I can usually keep my thoughts to myself. If I am excited or tired or taken off guard, then I just let the words fly without thinking of the consequences. :)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Uhh, I've been one of the worst examples of apparent talk-first-then-think ideology. That's never been the case tho; I've seen I'm free to talk in some boundaries, and then I let myself loose.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Forums are hard for me and probably other EP's. Reading back on my posts, I notice that I start on topic and then just talk about whatever is on my mind. It makes me wonder if the things I say in person are ridiculous also..!

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
That's the real Achilles heel of Ne I think. That you just can't live with yourself for not finding something out when you had the opportunity, so... *cringe*

:yes:
then you get the troublemaker branding when it was just healthy curiosity.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like many of you guys know, i'm pretty good at writing weird stuff that I don't think through before it's out :D I wouldn't restrict it to ExxP's only ;) I'd like to believe that i'm not just a complete idiot :smile:
Perhaps it's not because of lack of intelligence, it might be that I do it on purpose on a subconscious level, just to be funny?