• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I's & E's intimidate each other?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
But can you see how that contributes to the image of selfishness and arrogance? I don't want anything from you so fuck off? I don't care whether you need anything from me, I don't want to bother with you so fuck off and tough shit? That's quite an alien viewpoint to me... I mean whether you feel like talking or not there's such a thing as manners...

I'm no stranger to the idea of someone trying to force me to talk when I don't want to, but I'd figure it was only courtesy to keep a person informed verbally and also to assume at first, give them the benefit of the doubt, that they're not actually meaning to irritate me but are doing so out of some misguideed idea or other. So does it really hurt to just say "I'm sorry I don't mean to ignore you, I'm just really not in the mood for X right now, I guess I'm just a bit tired, mind if I just read to myself for a bit?" And I'd be like oh yeah sure, sorry, no problem.

Surely that's better than just rebutting someone's friendliness with signals that all seem to the E to say "get lost you idiot, I don't need you!"

Well, what if I told you that I'm afraid to talk in certain situations because I'm worried I'll look like a slacker if I start talking to people instead of looking focused, and at other times, I'm afraid to presume I'm good enough to ask for anything from the other person? I'm basically afraid that if I say anything to them, they're going to say, "Who do you think you are, that you can ask for my attention? You're nobody, and I'm busy anyway!" Or that even if they don't say it, they're thinking it. Basically, I'm worried that my presence will be a burden or distraction for the person, and I'm trying my best not to get in their way. Extraverts are always so busy, it looks like everything is hanging in a precarious balance. I'm honestly amazed that they can juggle so many things, and I don't want to be "the straw that broke the camel's back," so to speak.

If a person needs something from me, I'll make every reasonable effort to give it to them. I'm just not comfortable asking for anything in return, because I don't want them to think I need them. I don't want them to think I'm needy or pathetic because I couldn't take care of what ever it was myself.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Would you be content living your life as a hermit?

I probably could be fine with it, although it wouldn't be something I'd do out of free will. Close to it is about perfect, living somewhere out of the way up in the mountains. Not because I dislike interacting with people, but I really like my peace and quiet...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
In groups I will throw in bits, but if you don't listen you won't hear it. If I see no reaction to what I say I shrug it off and don't bother after a certain point.

I'm actually much the same in that respect. I will give up trying to make a point or express myself if I feel I've reason to believe it's pointless, but only after trying first. On rare occasions I might figure it's not even worth trying but in those cases my Ne often still gets the better of me even while Ti's desperately trying to pull the brakes lol

Maybe I am trying to shake 18 years of being programed with "no one cares what you think Run, shut the fuck up".

I have always had that feeling of myself too and still do most of the time. What pushes me to speak up is when I feel like I have to speak for a silent minority or some vulnerable person either present or not, whose interests I don't think are being considered and who has reason to be even more reluctant to speak. So even though I still feel like nobody will listen I force myself to try, I'll do this when it's for someone else like I wouldn't for myself.

Talking isn't a chore most of the time. It's about comfort levels for me. I'm very nervous about interacting with someone I don't know well, because I have no idea how my ideas will be received by the other person. I've been written off time and time again with the phrase, "You're so weird." So, I stopped talking to most people.

Up to the last sentence that was me to a T as well. Again with me it's not confidence that really pushes me up to the plate but Ne just sorta controls me. I have to know something, so I have to ask the question or make the suggestion or something. I honestly feel just as nervous as the shyest introvert. But if you think you get written off for being weird, imagine life as an ENTP, a slave to Ne that makes you wear your eccentricity on your sleeve, so much harder to hide it!! LOL

For a while it did make me stop talking to people and for most of the time from age 14 to about 25 I was very shy and reclusive. Eventually though when certain barriers to do with my appearance were amended, I began to come into my own. I still get written off, slagged off, shouted down, criticized etc... but for some reason it just doesn't stop me. As I say, I think it's Ne being just more powerful a driving force to externalize than any complex or insecurity I have that drives me to withdraw. But those complexes don't disappear just because Ne is having its way with me - I often feel, the entire time that I'm talking or whatever, that I'm making a fool of myself and everyone's laughing at me. That's why it means so much to me that someone gives me feedback, that they talk back just to give me some clue as to what they're making of me. If they want me to tone it down a bit then that's fine, I can understand that and I'm REALLY grateful for being told.

Whether I'm comfortable talking to introverts depends entirely on how introverted they are. When I try to talk to REALLY introverted people, I get really thrown off, because I can only function in a conversation when I get equal contribution on the other side. (And by "contribution", I mean talking.)

Yes, I'm often aware belatedly that the person has written me off as a blabbermouth and I hear introverts on these forums all the time talking about how extraverts talk 'for the sake of it' or how we're full of 'meaningless drivel' and stuff like that, as if I'm just talking to satisfy some egotistical need to get attention or something, and it's quite hurtful really because in reality it's the opposite of what's going on, I'm actually really trying to reach out to the other person and the more I say the harder I'm trying to build a bridge or try to find some foundation for building it on.

But then again, I know this introvert who never says anything unnecessary, and always has the right thing to say, and never says anything mean or rude. He pretty much seems perfect at first glance. I have a very hard time talking to him because it's like talking to a saint and it makes me feel like a bad person. Do any of you know people like this?

Yes, I've had that feeling very often. I got to know a guy who gave me that vibe to start with and found he was very fallible and just as human as the rest of us, but what he didn't realize was that all the 'shit' I talk isn't actually my thought-out opinion - that's me thinking, it's me sifting through info and trying to brainstorm really, hoping for his input, to help me actually reach my conclusion. But then you get that look and it's like they think you're an idiot, you feel constricted and like you can't be yourself and just talk like you would with normal people lol for fear of that terrifying, non-committal 'hmmm'. What does he MEAN by that??!!! :cry:

But it just isn't that commonplace, in reality, for people in this world to take the time to see the situation from the other person's perspective. I'm really not certain that everyone even has the ability to think outside the box regularly.

I agree that it's the root of the problem and that it's rare for people to try to do it, but I'm sure most people COULD do it if they tried, because people who can't do it are called autistic...

With that said, it would be nice if the world worked in terms of everyone always seeing the other side of the story, but it's just not going to happen. I've found, as I get older, that as people mature they do understand the subtleties of others points of view a bit more. .... I think the conflict between E/I fades a bit over time and with maturity, for reasons that I'm not exactly sure of.

I agree. It's funny though, how when you do realize these things and adjust your behaviour accordingly, life actually gets better doesn't it? When you're younger you fear that it's all compromise and not being true to yourself, and you fear that if you adjust then you won't be yourself any more. That attitude develops over time I think, as you realize that you can improve and develop without losing your core self. A table is still a table both before and after it's been covered with a fabulous lacquerwork pattern :)

I really don't think it's that interesting. I'm bored just talking about it. ....What I do no one usually wants to talk about like how a cloud looks or some theoretical endeavor that's never going to happen as it is not possible/ unlikely. Such as kidnapping an elephant and traveling around the world on it.

I love conversations like that!! :D

For me smalltalk, talking about 'safe' stuff is about just testing the water, it's opening negotiations, you could say. I'm starting off asking you about things I hope you won't have any difficulty answering and hopefully things that can't be offensive to anyone or whatever, but going by the way you answer I'll pick up vibes about what kinda person you are and where your limits of what you want to talk about or might be offended by etc, are, from the subtle stuff like body language etc, and it's the same with most extraverts I think. We just don't want to go diving into deep and meaningful stuff without knowing it's alright with you to do that, it's not because we can't or don't enjoy talking about anything meaningful or imaginative, like ever.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, exactly. And that is what frustrates the hell out of me regarding Is. Jeez Louise folks - open your mouths. It ain't hard.

Well it can be really hard, you must know that yourself, I can't believe you've never felt insecure or nervous or like you're not sure what the right thing to say is. For most introverts, from what I can gather, most social interaction means feeling that way constantly, so it is hard and I sympathize.

I find it interesting that although I'm also riddled with insecurities and complexes about people thinking I'm boring, stupid, shallow, whatever, I STILL TALK ANYWAY. And though at least half of the reason is Ne compelling me to want to find stuff out, I know the other half is that I genuinely want to get to know this person, I am interested in them personally, sincerely.

And if they ARE so bright, why don't THEY introduce a topic?!"

I've thought this many times before though... quit staring at me like I just crawled out from under a rock, if you think I'm so crappy because I don't talk about anything that interests you, why don't YOU initiate something for us to talk about that DOES interest you, rather than assuming I'd be incapable of understanding your fathomless mind!

Actually in the past my ENFP brother has referred to introverts as having what he calls an 'originality complex'. They think a lot of weird stuff but because they don't talk to people much they think they're the only ones who think it or that it's only y'know, really exceptional people whose books they read and assume they wouldn't relate to normal mortals. Whilst the ENxP thinks of just as much crazy shit, externalizes it all and thereby finds a lot of other people saying to them all the time "Hey! I thought that was just me!" :laugh:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have one question for all people here, who think of themselves as social.

How much is Fe important to you and why it is?

I ask as a person with the lowest Fe score on this forum.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
This may sound a bit strange, but I'm easily intimidated by INFJs. I don't know. They just seem so contained and mysterious, and for some reason, I always expect that they're going to react in more adult manner than me on any subject from self-adhesive envelopes to spandex trademark infringement. They see some angle I don't, and then they might say it aloud, and then I'll be sitting there thinking, "Good point. I didn't see that" and everyone's nodding, "oh yes, INFJ person has done it again! how clever!"

I feel like the drunk aunt with the skirt over her head.

Yes, I know what you mean. INFJ's make me very nervous too, I'd sooner brave the ENTJ boss that got out the wrong side of the bed with a hangover and who I've got to tell the figures are down 20% on last month, than face an INFJ who I've got to tell that her coffee is ready... lol

Man, if I had to live my life like a hermit, I would pretend that there are people around me and would have imaginary conversations and stories and interactions with them just to prevent myself from going crazy.

BAH! Life as a hermit - terrible.

Yes, that's pretty much how I was when I was very shy and isolated for many years. I lived as though I were an introvert but I'm not, I am and have always been very very externally oriented. I did have a whole host of imaginary friends that ironically, kept me sane :laugh:

There's a real running theme though of people feeling just inadequate generally.

Here's a thought that an old monk gave to me when I was going through the initial phase of opening up my life and being the extravert I am after the isolated existence I described above, and I used to go to him for advice and a shoulder to cry on because I screwed up soooo much... and I was so sure everyone hated me and would tell me to get lost if I approached them.

Monk: so if a person approached you to ask you a question or just to be friendly, would you tell them to get lost?
Me: No!
Monk: Why not?
Me: That'd be like, really rude and mean and they'd feel like crap.
Monk: It'd make you a bad person for doing that, right?
Me: I guess so.
Monk: So this person you want to approach, do you think they're a bad person?
Me: Um, well no, I guess not otherwise I wouldn't want to approach them
Monk: So what makes you think they'll react like a bad person?
Me: :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am of the opinion that some things you can not conclude what the outcome will be (even by discussing it into oblivion) until you just do it and find out.

But then again, maybe that's just me being very "S".

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am of the opinion that some things you can not conclude what the outcome will be (even by discussing it into oblivion) until you just do it and find out.

But then again, maybe that's just me being very "S".

If it is, then I'm as S as they come. :dry:

I didn't mean to totally hog the thread lol I just had some RL socializing to do for a while and came back to see lots of things to reply to! lol Carry on...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, you can post all you want. I don't mind. This is a discussion board, after all and meant for that. I just meant that I'm not sure if one can ever predict how a stranger will react to them but it's very likely that if you are friendly, they will be friendly back. It does foster courage going into it thinking positively about it. I think you are right that there is a theme of inadequacy for both I's and E's.... and I agree with your Monk friend. I wish I had a Monk friend. That must be awesome.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm bothered by how fast Extraverts move, and how mercurial their attention seems to be. When I actually like an Extravert, I feel like it's a monumental chore just to get them to care about me.

They also frighten me a little because I know they are more prone to acting without reflecting, and violating my space/privacy. I'm usually more worried about what Extraverts are going to do than with Introverts.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm bothered by how fast Extraverts move, and how mercurial their attention seems to be. When I actually like an Extravert, I feel like it's a monumental chore just to get them to care about me.

So what would I have to do then, hypothetically, for you to see it as a sign that I care? And what about my short attention span makes you believe it's a sign that I don't? Genuine questions, not rhetorical :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what would I have to do then, hypothetically, for you to see it as a sign that I care?

This one is going to have to be put on hold as I ponder it for a while

And what about my short attention span makes you believe it's a sign that I don't? Genuine questions, not rhetorical :)

To me there is a correlation between investment and interest (this sounds like economics), so the less someone appears to be paying attention to me, the less interested I figure they are. Pretty standard reasoning I think.

Also, it becomes a matter of compared value. When Extraverts seem to take interest in anyone and anything, it makes me feel really unspecial. Like I'm just another pebble in the gravel.

For whatever reason, I've developed strong feelings almost exlusively for Extraverts in my personal life, so I've become all too aquainted with this feeling of insignifigance.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting, Magic... you know, ExxP's are very able to pay A LOT of attention to A LOT of things all at once.

Think of it as the amount of energy you need to expend in interacting with the external world. Introverts, it's quite a bit of work so you can only do one thing properly at a time and you have to really devote yourself to that thing for the time being. But for me, as soon as I notice something I can be engaged and the more I do so the more it energizes me, so I can keep doing it ad infinitum. I can literally be having two conversations at once and the next day I will remember both of them; I'll also ponder over both of them afterwards.

Also remember that a lot of the time, because extraverts NEED lots of external interaction, and because we know you get back what you put out, we can often find ourselves in a position of actually not paying as much attention to the thing that REALLY interests us as we'd like to, and instead feeling we've got to pay attention to something that, at the moment, isn't very interesting.

IOW I'm very in tune with dynamics in a group and the individual needs and stuff of each person. You could be talking to me about something fascinating and I'm loving the way you express yourself and wishing the rest of the group would disappear so I could just concentrate on you. But the woman over there talking about brands of cat food, I know she's been really down lately and that she gets easily offended if I don't talk to her when she's there, but I know that when she's in a good mood she's great company so I don't want to risk upsetting her and so I've got to keep one eye on you and one on her. Then there's also the guy over there who's telling me about his new stereo, a subject I'm totally clueless and indifferent about, but I know he's been having trouble with his marriage lately and won't talk about it to anyone so I know that the only way I have of keeping tabs on how he's doing is to look for clues while he's talking about his stereo, so I've got to keep another eye on him.

All the time while this is going on, I'm making a mental note saying to myself "as soon as I get the chance I'm gonna ask Magic to lunch and then we can just talk with each other, without these nerks in the way, but at the moment I've got to divide my attention." But then for a while I keep getting sidetracked by more 'in your face' and demanding people and it really does pain me to have to keep postponing my invitation to you. I'm actually hoping, if you get the time before I do, that you'll contact me first and then we can arrange something, then when one of these other people tries to claim my time I can legitimately tell them I have other plans and finally get to spend time with you like I wanted to!!

Perhaps an INTP isn't as plugged-in to all these other things, and is therefore more able to ignore them and just seek to talk to one person and sorta command their attention. But it's really not so easy for me to do that.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
But introverts don't want anything from you. You giving is your choice. Meeting you partway, as you would like, does not make sense to an introvert because they feel no obligation to connect with you(well, except ISJs, it seems), so it seems strange that they should even bother.

This is kinda what I feel like. Sometimes I get the feeling that some extraverts are using me for their own amusement, because they're bored. Like, we'll be stuck in a room together, and the person (strangers, I'm talking about here) will interrupt what I'm doing so they won't have to find something else to occupy their thoughts. I'm actually a pretty friendly person, but if I'm already doing something, or if I'm already feeling socially anxious, and you're a stranger, then I won't feel any obligation to have a big chatfest with someone else. I'll be nice and polite, but I won't feel obligated bond with said person.

But this leads me onto something else: I know that it isn't always hard work for introverts to talk. In fact, I know an ISTP who will rant until the cows come home, an ISTJ who will talk forever about movies and the latest scientific theories from New Scientist, and an INFP who will sit on the sofa and, for as long as you keep passing her coffee and cake, she'll keep chattering away with you until the small hours, with no sign whatsoever of fatigue and every sign of feeling quite energized and happy.

You must admit that at least sometimes, it's not REALLY because talking is such a chore, but perhaps something else? Is it possible that the introvert might sometimse have been too quick to judge a person as not worth talking to? Or do they really want to talk but are just too shy or nervous?

Yes, both these things can be factors. Sometimes I'm in a more extraverted mood, too. Sometimes I get in such a loop of my own thinking that I don't even know HOW to put my thoughts out into the world. Sometimes I'd rather die than have to socialize, because it just feels like I don't fit in anywhere. My personality is greatly affected by the other person's personality, too. There are some people that I feel like I could talk to forever, right off the bat, and others I feel guarded around. But just because I don't trust you immediately doesn't mean I won't later on.

They may think that you don't like them- especially given their own preference to extraversion.. they are probably thinking, "Why does this person not want to go out with us and just be by herself all night? She must hate spending time with us so much that she would rather be bored at home.."

However, if you let them know of why you don't want to go out, they may understand better.

This is why I do better with friends than strangers and acquaintances/colleagues. If someone's taken the time to be your friend and learn what you're like, you can explain to them that you're just introverted and, even though you really like them, you need some time to yourself. Where I run into trouble is that i'm good at making small talk when I need to, just to get by, but it's not my natural bent. Then it creates an expectation for people who are just acquaintances later on, and they generally WILL take it personally when I don't want to go out with them after work or something. I have never figured out a way to assure people that I like them and still be able to be allowed to be myself. You can't please everyone.

For example, the introvert who does actually, for once, want to join the party, but sees the extraverts over there laughing and talking away and just doesn't want to go up and join because they think they'd look stupid or not know what to say. Or the extravert who gets a couple of hours alone in the office with the shiningly intelligent introvert whose contributions to board meetings have caused the E to really admire them and want to talk with them in more depth about their subject, but the E doesn't want to approach the I because he feels the I sees him as shallow and stupid and not worth talking to, and would just rebuff him.
And how sometimes these perceptions are totally wrong...

I think most introverts would be really flattered if you approached them about something specific about them that you noticed. Then we would have a connecting point, and we'd know that we'd caught your eye in some specific way.

Talking isn't a chore most of the time. It's about comfort levels for me. I'm very nervous about interacting with someone I don't know well, because I have no idea how my ideas will be received by the other person. I've been written off time and time again with the phrase, "You're so weird." So, I stopped talking to most people. Every once in a while I do find people who seem to be open to me being myself, and when I find those people I eventually open up and talk more (often until my throat hurts or I literally start falling asleep out of exhaustion).

I understand that this is my problem, not the extravert's. I'm trying very hard to overcome it and be more confident and be able to be more personable, but it's been a long and slow process.

Yeah, this applies to me, too.

I really don't think it's that interesting. I'm bored just talking about it. If it seems the person really wants to hear I'll be more willing to share, but if I get a sense of they're just doing small talk and don't care I'd rather not. I will make an effort, but I usually don't have anything to talk about. What I do no one usually wants to talk about like how a cloud looks or some theoretical endeavor that's never going to happen as it is not possible/ unlikely. Such as kidnapping an elephant and traveling around the world on it.

I will bring it up sometimes but based on their reaction, I know when to back off and not talk about things like that. I'm less likely to bring something like that up first conversation.

Yeah, I'd love that kind of conversation. I hate conversations like, "So! What do you like to do for fun?" I have no idea how to answer that. And I feel pressure to be interesting. And I feel like I probably won't be interesting. So I'd rather just stay in my head, where it's interesting all the time. :smile: Who knows, maybe we should all open with the elephant line and see where it takes us?

Yeah, exactly. And that is what frustrates the hell out of me regarding Is. Jeez Louise folks - open your mouths. It ain't hard. And if you don't say anything, I cannot read what is going on in your brain. So I either think a) You feel uncomfy, and I want to help you to try to relax. b) You just don't give a shit or c) You are just retarded. In the case of b or c, I am likely to just move on and think, "What a dipshit! This person has a tree so far up their ass that there is no hope for them. And if they ARE so bright, why don't THEY introduce a topic?!"

Because we imagine that you're thinking these things about us. We're not saying anything, so we must be boring. I don't have the energy to make myself interesting to you (you in the general sense, not you specifically, LL), and where is it written we all have to like each other? Some people just don't click, and that's okay. Maybe later we'll find a way to bridge the gap and find a common interest, but why spend an hour beating ourselves over the head trying to find one now? I'm a little sensitive to people reading my silence as "having a tree up my ass," so my response has usually been to just avoid interaction with folks that would tend to assume that about me. It saves me a lot of heartache and self-esteem issues, with me trying to make myself over into someone else's image.

Yeah, me, too. I'm learning lately that it's not as I always assumed. My ENFJ and ENFP friends might have a lot of friends, but they're not all on the same "level," and they put a lot into their relationship with me, which I'm very grateful for. :wubbie:

They also frighten me a little because I know they are more prone to acting without reflecting, and violating my space/privacy. I'm usually more worried about what Extraverts are going to do than with Introverts.

Yeah, I'm sometimes fearful of extraverts, because I'm so guarded and private, and I don't like sharing just anything with anyone. I have to trust someone first. My good ENFJ friend scared me at first because she barraged me with questions, and I had no idea a) why she was doing that, and b) why she wanted the information. I didn't know if I could trust her, and that made me really, really nervous. I finally asked her about it, and she hadn't even realized she was asking that many questions. She just has a curious mind, and she was interested in knowing more about me, since I was different.

I think it takes a while for me to really read people, and the more people you put into the equation, the more anxiety it causes for me. So in the meantime, I just have to trust my intuition. Perhaps it might be a good idea for introverts to take a chance and open up a little more and for extraverts to take things a little less personally?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Tallulah said:
Sometimes I get the feeling that some extraverts are using me for their own amusement, because they're bored. Like, we'll be stuck in a room together, and the person (strangers, I'm talking about here) will interrupt what I'm doing so they won't have to find something else to occupy their thoughts.

Ever consider that perhaps YOU are occupying their thoughts? Honestly, I do see pretty much everyone I meet as a potential friend and if I'm always open to any moment being an opportunity to make a new friend. My intentions are genuine, I really do hope we can find something to relate to each other about and see each other again after I get called into the dentist's room :laugh:

*continues reading*

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Tallulah said:
This is why I do better with friends than strangers and acquaintances/colleagues.

Sometimes I feel much more at ease around strangers because they can take me as they find me, because I'm quite a changeable person who tends to evolve a lot, often the people who've known me the longest can be really the ones I feel most 'trapped' around by past personas that I've been with them and their perceptions and expectations of me. Whilst with a stranger I've got a clean slate, a chance to be my real self without any past baggage.

But what you say about learning to take things less personally, that's really good advice that I've been working on for a while! it is really hard though not to take it personally, though...

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a question for the introverts here.

Would you be content living your life as a hermit?

If I didn't have the need to have a partner in life, hell fuck yeah. Women are the only thing keeping me out of the woods, seriously.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Sometimes I feel much more at ease around strangers because they can take me as they find me, because I'm quite a changeable person who tends to evolve a lot, often the people who've known me the longest can be really the ones I feel most 'trapped' around by past personas that I've been with them and their perceptions and expectations of me. Whilst with a stranger I've got a clean slate, a chance to be my real self without any past baggage.

Ah, you know, I can relate to that, as well. I think I feel most myself, and most extraverted when I'm travelling, because there is the freedom to be exactly who I am or who I want to be right at that moment, without being encumbered by the past and by expectations.

I think where I run into problems is in situations where I have to be around people I haven't chosen to have to interact with. Work situations, for example. Because I can be friendly and nice and even chatty at work, but I only have so much energy for it after work, and when I go home, I want my time to myself. But people take it personally if you don't want to socialize with them afterward. :cry:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Because I can be friendly and nice and even chatty at work, but I only have so much energy for it after work, and when I go home, I want my time to myself. But people take it personally if you don't want to socialize with them afterward. :cry:

I'm the same if I've been in a 'fish out of water' situation. Not all social interaction energizes me. One of my Aunt Dawn's famous family reunion barbecues is a prime example - I spend a whole day feeling completely disapproved of, disappointed in, misunderstood, like a failure and a freak and I hate, hate, hate it. There are some people in my extended family I love to see but most of them I don't relate to at all, I'm totally a black sheep. I'd so rather go home and just have a beer or two with my best pal and talk shit the evening long, or just sit and watch old Star Trek DVD's on my own and get the dishes done. But I know that to some people it means a lot, me going to this damned thing, and in the end it's easier to just go and grit my teeth through it than to wade through the fallout if I don't. And in the end, it's just a few hours every couple months or so, not the end of the world.

So I go... :coffee:

Actually at the end of that barbecue I feel like I really totally do need to be alone for a bit. It's really stressful for me and I can't talk about it with anyone cos nobody does really get why it's so stressful. So it can be annoying when after I've come back from there some friends call and want to come over (as usual) with DVD's and pizza for the evening and I have to say no, and I know they try to be understanding but I know they're hurt, really.

Sometimes it's easy to have a sorta 'minimum duty' thing so like, you go out with your colleagues once in a while just to show you're not snotty and stuff, and then they'll understand eventually that it's just not your scene, nothing against them personally...?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm actually much the same in that respect. I will give up trying to make a point or express myself if I feel I've reason to believe it's pointless, but only after trying first. On rare occasions I might figure it's not even worth trying but in those cases my Ne often still gets the better of me even while Ti's desperately trying to pull the brakes lol

Yeah, but for you Ne is in charge, for me Fi is in charge; this makes for a slightly different dynamic.

I have always had that feeling of myself too and still do most of the time. What pushes me to speak up is when I feel like I have to speak for a silent minority or some vulnerable person either present or not, whose interests I don't think are being considered and who has reason to be even more reluctant to speak. So even though I still feel like nobody will listen I force myself to try, I'll do this when it's for someone else like I wouldn't for myself.

Again, I'm from the school of "don't throw your pearls before swine". I test light material from things I want to talk about; if I see eyes glaze over I don't bother discussing it with that group anymore. Each word I give is valuable to me and if my audience doesn't at least appreciate that, then I am speaking in vein. I would rather spend an hour alone than spend more than 5 minutes on an audience that doesn't care.