User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 161

  1. #11
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    What would you say those reasons were Haphazard?
    The reason why an introvert is afraid of the extrovert is obvious... too much bombardment, too much attempt to try to pry them away from their thoughts. For the extrovert, however, the introvert is not sharing anything... they're not getting any feedback, which scares them, because that's mostly what they've learned to respond to. Like walking around in the dark and never bumping into anything. If you at least bump into something, you at least know that there's something there...

    Well, it's a wild guess. When extroverts try to talk to me usually they get this stupid, 'deer-in-the-headlights' expression from me. A guess says that people when talking to me get the impression that I'm not very bright.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #12
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The reason why an introvert is afraid of the extrovert is obvious... too much bombardment, too much attempt to try to pry them away from their thoughts.
    It isn't that obvious If I feel like I'm going out of my way to make someone feel welcome and that I want their participation, it isn't obvious at all that this would make them feel intimidated or whatever.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  3. #13
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    It isn't that obvious If I feel like I'm going out of my way to make someone feel welcome and that I want their participation, it isn't obvious at all that this would make them feel intimidated or whatever.
    It's obvious because they keep complaining about it.

    With extroverts it's less obvious because it's usually disguised under other complaints. 'Ice queen' and 'arrogant', for example.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  4. #14
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It's obvious because they keep complaining about it.
    Well, 'they' complain about it to each other and on an internet forum, but that's no reason to expect that extraverts who aren't into MBTI or psychology and who don't visit introvert dominated forums, would find it obvious too
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  5. #15
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Well, 'they' complain about it to each other and on an internet forum, but that's no reason to expect that extraverts who aren't into MBTI or psychology and who don't visit introvert dominated forums, would find it obvious too
    I thought you were talking about in the context of this forum. If we look at this forum, it's obvious why introverts are afraid of extroverts, but the reverse is not so obvious... although still true.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #16
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Nah I'm talking about generally, cos surely that's the reason we're here, right? To learn about psychological processes that enable us to better understand the interactions we have with people in the big wide world?

    (or to avoid doing the dishes, either works fine for me lol)
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  7. #17
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Athenian - what you say's interesting... I can agree that when there's a feeling someone has expectations of you it can be destabilizing.
    I'm glad we agree on that.
    However I personally tend to feel that with the extraverts, at least those expectations will be clearly expressed most of the time, so you know what you're up against, whilst the introvert seems to hold their expectations inside like a precious checklist and you've no way of knowing what they want from you or whether you're doing it right or wrong...
    You're not trying to argue that Extraverts are superior to Introverts, are you? I mean, considering how down on Extraverts people like BlueWing have been in the past, I guess you'd be justified in trying, but I couldn't honestly agree with either argument.

    I have to say that I've found that some Extraverts seem to do the same thing to me. They seem to expect me to have absorbed a lot of assumptions and values from the environment that I might not have, and thus there's this whole load of expectations and context they have that they judge me according to, without even knowing me, and without my even being aware of it. I literally feel like they judge me before they even know me, a lot of the time, that their opinion and expectations are never adjusted for individuals, and they just keep going with that first impression forever. Granted, I'm not entirely positive these people are Extraverts because I didn't type them, but they seemed like Extraverts to me. I might be mistaken, though.

    Did that make sense, or...?

  8. #18
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Nah I'm talking about generally, cos surely that's the reason we're here, right? To learn about psychological processes that enable us to better understand the interactions we have with people in the big wide world?

    (or to avoid doing the dishes, either works fine for me lol)
    The big wide world isn't even educated enough about introverts and extroverts to make any of it obvious at all. Most people don't have a working understanding of introversion and extroversion anyway. They may know on some level that some people behave this way and some behave that way but that still doesn't stop them from behaving in the patterns they do when one meets the other.

    It seems so goddamned ingrained. Can we change it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #19
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Some introverts can intimidate me, if they seem to be fairly unresponsive to my friendliness.
    I don't try forcing them to open up though. I assume that they don't want to.
    I usually start ignoring the person myself if it seems that I can't get into a conversation with him or her and write the person off as boring.
    I am friends with a few Introverts and I find that if the person likes me that I can get the person to talk relatively easy about things-so I tend to be dismissive towards those who are unresponsive.

    I wouldn't consider myself someone who is intimidating towards anyone. I am not an overbearing person, so that probably makes most people feel comfortable around me- except for the uber-introverted person who probably isn't speaking not due to my presence anyway.

    Many extraverts probably assume that the introvert doesn't like them if he doesn't speak.

    From personal experience, INTJs in particular seem to be more negative than positive and openly look down on others (mostly through non-verbal cues and body language which the INTJ may not even notice..).
    If this sort of person desires social contact with others, I would say that there are one or two things that this person needs to do.

    1.) Be nice to others.
    2.) Talk about interesting things.

    #1 is easy. I am personally the most responsive towards nice people. If someone isn't nice to me, I think.. "Screw you, I don't need to spend time with you to have a healthy social life.", and drop the person. I wouldn't say I'm intimidated by introverts but rather I'm intimidated by mean and cold people.

    As for #2, I guess it depends on the person or your interests.. a lot of people are turned off by weirdness.. I am personally not, mostly due to the fact that I pride myself on my ability to respond to anything. Share your interest in anime or blackjack! These are the kinds of people I get along with the best.

    Not..

    Me: So, what do you like to do?
    Other Person: Uh, I like to have fun.
    Me: That's good to know. I don't know of a person who doesn't like to have fun. What do you like to do for fun?
    Other Person: Uh.....
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

  10. #20
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    1.) Be nice to others.
    2.) Talk about interesting things.
    You are demanding the impossible, Mondo.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. Same Personality Types Rub Each Other The Wrong Way?
    By NashK in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 12:49 AM
  2. Ti vs. Te, do they trust each other?
    By heart in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 10:57 AM
  3. Type each other's artwork...
    By The Ü™ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
  4. How Intuitives (especially IN's) and Sensors look to each other.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO