User Tag List

First 614151617 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Extraverts fear introverts because they think we are dangerous and strange. Introverts find extraverts intimidating because they are a wall of uncalled for loudness and won't STFU for even five seconds to reason before firing their vocal cords.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    It isn't that obvious If I feel like I'm going out of my way to make someone feel welcome and that I want their participation, it isn't obvious at all that this would make them feel intimidated or whatever.
    It can be incredibly intrusive, depending on the level and nature of the input the introvert is receiving. It overwhelms the system, clogging the pathways, making it impossible to think or react. This may be taken as a sort of an attack. Not a deliberate one, probably, but just difficult to handle.

The introvert generally only has so much energy to devote to social issues, and it can feel like the extravert is draining that energy like a vampire, without the introvert's permission. When that energy is gone, the Introvert can become depressed, even dizzy. It's a pretty important resource to keep track of.

There's also an issue of space and time. The introvert tends to need a bunch more room to work much more slowly, and feels like the extravert is not only demanding something very difficult, but actively getting in the way of the processes the introvert needs to respond.

Think of it as two sinks; the introvert has a very narrow drain, and the extravert an enormous one. The more water you pour into the introvert's sink, the more indiscriminately, the easier it overflows. The extravert's sink, though -- you can pour in gallons at a time and it's all dandy. The extravert assumes all sinks are the same, so dumps a barrel into the introvert's sink, then is surprised when most of it ends up on the kitchen floor. And ultimately blames the sink.

All that said, when the introvert knows the extravert well enough, and some level of trust is established, it's easier for the introvert to figure out how to respond in a way that the extravert needs.

EDIT: Whoa. Somehow didn't realize how old the posts were, or how long the thread was. Well. There it is, anyway.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Well, since I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I hate conversations like, "So! What do you like to do for fun?" I have no idea how to answer that.
    Somehow it throws me for a loop when people ask me how I'm doing, or what I've been up to. Every single time. I have to stop and think. Wait, how am I doing? Have I been doing anything? After a moment I usually mutter something noncommittal, realizing it'll take too long to figure out.

Yet if someone approaches me with a specific question or statement, about something of specific interest to me, I could yammer on forever with that person.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Working back to the present...

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I am not sure why introverts are intimidating...
    I guess because we're like ghosts? Ephemera that can't be nailed down.

The deer thing makes me think of shinto spirits -- depending on your outlook, they're either beautiful and intriguing or creepy as hell.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    Extraverts fear introverts because they think we are dangerous and strange. Introverts find extraverts intimidating because they are a wall of uncalled for loudness and won't STFU for even five seconds to reason before firing their vocal cords.
    yeah...not at all true in my experience. i'm very rarely intimidated but certainly no more intimidated by introverts and...i know introverts that talk more then some extraverts...so GIVE ME A BREAK!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Extraverts fear introverts because they think we are dangerous and strange. ...

You don't know what you're talking about.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about.
    Mortabunt don't fall for her intimidation tactics.

You don't have to put up with that from an extrovert *spits*.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

Lady X, don't shoot me, I haz you boyfrend.
    Schinitzel, I am aware that high degree extraverts (like need to party like hell and start losing their marbles after an hour or two alone) are the scum of the earth, but at least be subtle about it.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Schinitzel, I am aware that high degree extraverts (like need to party like hell and start losing their marbles after an hour or two alone) are the scum of the earth, but at least be subtle about it.
    I don't do subtle. I like my sarcasm blunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

uh...whatever the hell you mean by that.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison