• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Everyone And Their Mother Is Now Identifying As An Introvert

á´…eparted

passages
Why Everyone And Their Mother Is Now Identifying As An Introvert | Thought Catalog

Excerpt said:
We seem to have a warped idea of what introversion means these days. It is trendy to be an introvert right now – Susan Cain wrote ‘Quiet’ and suddenly everyone was clamouring to prove that they were actually one of the deep, misunderstood introverts of the world. We created a cultural dichotomy that implied introverts are deep and complex and extroverts are shallow and thoughtless. We told everyone that the only qualification for being an introvert is being intelligent and requiring alone time – two traits that every human being on earth is quick to identify with.
But the idea that introversion is extended to anyone who needs alone time to recharge is laughable.
And yet I am most creative when alone. I am the truest and most authentic version of myself when I am in my own company. Of course I am. We all are.

I thought this was a great little article. I've definitely noticed this. Not on here, but elsewhere on the internet, and in person. It seems like more and more people are coming out saying "I'm introverted!" when in reality, they aren't. It seems like nearly 80% of reddit identifies as introverts, and there is simply no reasonable way that statistic is right. It takes some time an understanding to figure out ones leaning (I mean, I thought I was an introvert for many years, a laughable notion now).

Thoughts? Discuss.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We told everyone that the only qualification for being an introvert is being intelligent and requiring alone time – two traits that every human being on earth is quick to identify with.

This line in particular kind of reminds me of astrology. Every "sign" has some vaguely positive stuff written about it that anyone could identify with and people latch onto their sign because "It's so me!" Yeah, it's so you. It's so everyone. It's a freakin' pseudoscience. (I'm not a fan of astrology, so I apologize if this offends anyone who takes it very seriously.)

I think a lot of ambiverted or extroverted people call themselves introverts because the media has given it this sort of "special snowflake" vibe. Oh, yeah, introverts, they're the really cool sarcastic sidekick character that everyone loves, who's super smart because they're quiet and like to be alone sometimes. That is of course, not to say that an introvert truly cannot fit that picture; I just feel as if the true meaning behind the word "introvert" is losing its meaning.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I WISH BANDWAGON'N WOULD STOP

In my experience, most people don't really understand the concept properly, and seem to mistake it as some sort of personal preference.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The rise of the mulch culture keeps on rollin'. Take anything, distill it down to as simplistic a form as it possibly can and big up the most obvious parts without due examination or analysis.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have thought of myself as an introvert for years.

I didn't talk until I was almost 4.

I always liked hanging with friends, but many times preferred reading books, even as a child. I never was bored because I could make up my own entertainment, if needed.

Though now I wonder if I didn't become more introverted in reaction to life issues.

I was always outspoken in school, from earliest years through grad school. I was never as outgoing as my ESFP best friend or my ENTP brother or my ENFP mother.

I do enjoy good conversations and socializing.with friends. I make friends easy enough.

I enjoy interacting with people, even though I sometimes just try to avoid the limelight.

I suspect that many people thought I was pretty outgoing as a teenager.

So, I don't know what I am anymore...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is interesting. The hype on the internet/facebook re introversion is probably tied to the larger (at least western/U.S.) trend atm of trying to make everyone feel good about themselves and highlighting the historic underdog to compensate for previous slightings. While I don't feel there's anything 'wrong' with highlighting the positives of a certain type, it ends up keying in on another aspect of psychology, which is tons of people then wanting to identify with that type that is now being applauded.

But yeah, the reasons people then identify with something are tied to the generic elements, that everyone has in common.

------------------

Sometimes I've toyed with the idea of actually being an extrovert, as I was apparently pretty open and outgoing up until age 3-5, but given my entire life since then it just seems ludicrous to me - it would be meaningless to me and others to call myself an extrovert.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is similar to the sudden popularity of nerds and nerd culture in recent years. I spent most of my life teased and bullied for being nerdy; suddenly people are telling me I'm cool and trendy everywhere I go, it seems.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It is interesting. The hype on the internet/facebook re introversion is probably tied to the larger (at least western/U.S.) trend atm of trying to make everyone feel good about themselves and highlighting the historic underdog to compensate for previous slightings.

Yeah I'd agree with this and with [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]'s read that this identification is based on exceptionalism, where people need to feel special and deep and will gravitate to labels with positive trait associations. We've all seen it before in the S vs N dichotomy. People who need to feel like they're deep and misunderstood because otherwise they'd be average and basic.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
fun fact

eRhbrKw.png
;)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Why Everyone And Their Mother Is Now Identifying As An Introvert | Thought Catalog

I thought this was a great little article. I've definitely noticed this. Not on here, but elsewhere on the internet, and in person. It seems like more and more people are coming out saying "I'm introverted!" when in reality, they aren't. It seems like nearly 80% of reddit identifies as introverts, and there is simply no reasonable way that statistic is right. It takes some time an understanding to figure out ones leaning (I mean, I thought I was an introvert for many years, a laughable notion now).

Thoughts? Discuss.

because it's cool to. but if you've ever been outside where there are people you'll notice most of them are fairly loud and expressive i guess introverts can be, but it's never quiet. and if you want quiet you get strange looks and how you're opressing them. and I'm all like You're opressing my thoughts by never shutting up.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the statistics are misleading. It's natural that introverts will be more active on forums and on the internet generally than extroverts. A lot of internet forums are flooded with introverted types. Not saying that 80% doesn't sound like it's too much, yes it does, but I still think even if the number is incorrect, the majority of the users still would be introverts.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just out of curiousity I looked up what exactly Cain meant by introvert:

Wikipedia:
Various schools of psychology define introversion differently.[13][21] Cain’s definition is that introverts have a preference for a quiet, more minimally stimulating environment.[3][19][20] Introverts tend to enjoy quiet concentration, listen more than they talk, and think before they speak,[11] and have a more circumspect and cautious approach to risk.[3] Introverts think more, are less reckless and focus on what really matters—relationships and meaningful work.[22] Conversely, extroverts are energized by social situations and tend to be assertive multi-taskers who think out loud and on their feet.[11] Cain says that between one-third and one-half of Americans may be classified as introverts,[11][20] though individuals fall at different places along an introvert-extrovert spectrum.[10] People falling near the middle of the spectrum are called “ambiverts.”[14]

By this measure I'm an an Ambivert, which she allows for in her definition since it's a dichotomy. Extroverts and Introverts are so limited. *scoff*

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One word: backlash.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Just out of curiousity I looked up what exactly Cain meant by introvert:

Wikipedia:

By this measure I'm an an Ambivert, which she allows for in her definition since it's a dichotomy. Extroverts and Introverts are so limited. *scoff*

Ha, "introverts focus on what really matters."

Not a loaded definition at all.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The (widespread?) notion that Extraversion is just plain exalted by society.

I do think the U.S. is a culture that favor extraversion. Other countries might be different, but we generally see extraverts as "good" and introverts as "bad." How many times do you hear people, when talking about serial killers, say "it's always the quiet ones" ?

Regarding serial killers, I find this amusing:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember my dad telling me he was introverted ten years ago. I had to laugh because he was one of the most extroverted people I've ever met (on the level of Trump, along with some similarities in style); it was a huge hindrance in our relationship, because our expectations and language styles/needs were so different.

He didn't have any real typology background, so perhaps he had a different concept of what it meant, but I think in part he was also describing how sometimes he seemed to feel a lack of meaningful/deep connection in his life, and lots of periods of brooding/isolation where he would withdraw and drink. (He was a chronic alcoholic.)

I think it helps when we all work from the same set of definitions and have a better understanding of what each is.