• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Everyone And Their Mother Is Now Identifying As An Introvert

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's simply that we don't entirely fit description of either introverted or extroverted..
I was an introverted child, I used to have little to no friends at times, more friends at other time, I can't have an interaction with people for too long without feeling anxious and have a headache, and just the need that I want to be alone for a while, but I also can't stand being without people, I can't spend the whole day just reading and listening to music without at least texting, phone call, hearing any human sound even if it is on TV or YouTube or whatever..
I seem like an outgoing for those who know me, but I also a stay at home person, I don't like going out too often..

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It probably has something to do with the nerd/geek culture we seem to be developing, and the traits surrounding them. To my knowledge, it was actually extroversion that was more respected a while back - you're sociable, persuasive, polite, tactful, and so on. But both introversion and extroversion are simply traits of a person, with society dictating which is considered 'better' on preference alone.

In my opinion, both can have the same qualities of the other, but for different reasons. With that nerd/geek culture I mentioned previously though, this seems to have been lost a little. As such, I suppose it's natural then (though saddening) to see extroversion maligned into something superficial and unintelligent. Well, when one creates a caricature of a personality, anything can look distorted and ugly.

Who knows? Perhaps we'll see extroversion portrayed in a positive light yet again some time in the future.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It probably has something to do with the nerd/geek culture we seem to be developing, and the traits surrounding them. To my knowledge, it was actually extroversion that was more respected a while back - you're sociable, persuasive, polite, tactful, and so on. But both introversion and extroversion are simply traits of a person, with society dictating which is considered 'better' on preference alone.

In my opinion, both can have the same qualities of the other, but for different reasons. With that nerd/geek culture I mentioned previously though, this seems to have been lost a little. As such, I suppose it's natural then (though saddening) to see extroversion maligned into something superficial and unintelligent. Well, when one creates a caricature of a personality, anything can look distorted and ugly.

Who knows? Perhaps we'll see extroversion portrayed in a positive light yet again some time in the future.

Yep. I used to be a nerd then I grew the hell up. Now I'm an extrovert. I guess I did it backwards.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jung explicitly mentions that there is no clear introvert or extrovert in his books Psychological Types. Susan Cain's book Quiet makes a fatal flaw in that regard.

Jung also says (it may be a different source) that pretty much everyone is ambiverted and leaning one side more than the other gives the name.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anaximander's scale of introversion to extroversion

Completely conjectural and not based in research. Enneagram variance and individual level of "growth" will probably affect these rankings too.

least extroverted
INTP/INFP
ISTJ
ISFP
INTJ
ISFJ/ISTP
INFJ/ENFP/ENTP -The true ambiverts of Jungian typology
ESTP/ENTJ
ESFP
ESTJ
ENFJ
ESFJ
least introverted

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Introverted feeling has been on the rise since the Internet blew up. I actually wrote an essay on this phenomenon a while back:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...oxic-te-fi-epidemic-contemporary-america.html

Fortunately since the fall of progressivism and the SJW, we are seeing a resurgence of introverted thinking.

But if your sampling pool is 100% internet based, you're going to be heavily biased towards introversion. Most of the extroverts I know just use the Internet to post billions of facebook photos.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Introverted feeling has been on the rise since the Internet blew up. I actually wrote an essay on this phenomenon a while back:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...oxic-te-fi-epidemic-contemporary-america.html

Fortunately since the fall of progressivism and the SJW, we are seeing a resurgence of introverted thinking.

But if your sampling pool is 100% internet based, you're going to be heavily biased towards introversion. Most of the extroverts I know just use the Internet to post billions of facebook photos.

Your Te/Fi theory is interesting. I shall have to read more on it.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's simply that we don't entirely fit description of either introverted or extroverted..
I was an introverted child, I used to have little to no friends at times, more friends at other time, I can't have an interaction with people for too long without feeling anxious and have a headache, and just the need that I want to be alone for a while, but I also can't stand being without people, I can't spend the whole day just reading and listening to music without at least texting, phone call, hearing any human sound even if it is on TV or YouTube or whatever..
I seem like an outgoing for those who know me, but I also a stay at home person, I don't like going out too often..

Your situation sounds like hedgehog's dilemma: The idea that people are like hedgehogs who want to bunch up to stay warm in the cold, but who cannot do so without hurting each other with their quills. This dilemma has been used to explain introversion. I think this applies for some introverts, but certainly not all.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your situation sounds like hedgehog's dilemma: The idea that people are like hedgehogs who want to bunch up to stay warm in the cold, but who cannot do so without hurting each other with their quills. This dilemma has been used to explain introversion. I think this applies for some introverts, but certainly not all.

Though I'm not an introvert, I'm an extrovert after all..