• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Infinite Cycles of Questioning

Didums

And on that note, someone name me some good science books with accurate information intelligently and interestingly presented :D. (Maybe stuff that you like personally?)

Science is Broad, Broooooaaad subject. What exactly are you interested in learning about?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Science is Broad, Broooooaaad subject. What exactly are you interested in learning about?

I have at least a passing interest in anything, lol. Maybe, theoretical physics, biology, astronomy.... In the social sciences psychology of course (preferably something better than a self-help book, although those can be good.) Maybe I'll get some of CG Jung's stuff. Yeah. He's a cool dude.

alicia91

I've been questioning a lot of my beliefs, and it seems as though the process of questioning has become compulsive to me, to the point of losing sleep and peace over the matter. I've been asking myself how I can know X, Y, Z, and everything under the sun.

I was like that when I was younger. With age, I learned to accept that knowing everything is impossible and that at some level I'm just going to have to trust, without having to understand everything myself. As a T-type this is hard to do, but not impossible. Some new-age ideas such living in the moment (not always trying to anticipate and understand), reducing the ego (not having to be an expert on everything), and meditation (clearing the mind), have really helped me. I have also figured out a personal philosophy about the things that are important to me and that my world revolves around, extra information and insight is just a bonus now, not a compulsion.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Just lookit all the good answers you'r getting here, Eldanen!

There are very few certainties in my life and one of them is that successful living is living well with myself/peace of mind and heart. That is one which I seek.

If I can't find "answers" with dilligent pursuit then I practice acceptance of my inability.

Didums

I have at least a passing interest in anything, lol. Maybe, theoretical physics, biology, astronomy.... In the social sciences psychology of course (preferably something better than a self-help book, although those can be good.) Maybe I'll get some of CG Jung's stuff. Yeah. He's a cool dude.

For theoretical physics, either: A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, or The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking. The first one is a drier read, the second one has lots of pictures.

And you could always get Bluewing's book: Poverty of Conventionalism

For biology: YouTube - DonExodus2's Videos has some interesting videos on Evolution/Abiogenesis etc.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hi guys. I've had a problem recently. I've been questioning a lot of my beliefs, and it seems as though the process of questioning has become compulsive to me, to the point of losing sleep and peace over the matter. I've been asking myself how I can know X, Y, Z, and everything under the sun. How can I account for this, this, that, that, and the other. Now, I know it's impossible to account for everything, so I'm trying to break the cycle. Any advice from those who have been through this before, questioning everything?

Thanks.

Yes. You just have to realize that you have to start from an assumption in order to know anything.

The most basic assumption is that your sense experience is related to something that is true, and then the next most basic one is that scientific principles are true.

You probably should be open to questioning everything else. To question the first two assumptions is an attempt at philosophy, not a question that can be answered. Basically, all knowledge is based on some kind of assumption, some kind of underlying perspective.