User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    Victor,

Most of life cannot be proved true or untrue, so we are free to believe or not believe.

I have no proof of truth; you have no proof of falsehood. So we are both free to make our own choices.

I take the most satisfaction at being open to the infinate possibilities of the universe.
    Perhaps you believe you can fly, so let's go and stand on the top edge of a tall building and see if you jump.

Of course I would grab you at the last moment and save you.

I would not only be saving you from gravity but I would be saving a free spirit.

MBTI
    INFP

Jeniffer, you've given my simplification thoughtful and intelligent consideration and, yes, it is plain to me that you've understood my thoughts regarding cognitive disonance.

Your post was carefully and clearly expressed and provides, from my perspective, a healthy way to deal with this discomfort of c.d.

Sometimes a good conk on the head produces miracles!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Perhaps you believe you can fly, so let's go and stand on the top edge of a tall building and see if you jump.

Of course I would grab you at the last moment and save you.

I would not only be saving you from gravity but I would be saving a free spirit.
    But we can easily have proof that I cannot fly.

And I would not test it from a large building, but rather in a controlled environment.

And I am scared of hights so I wouldn't test it all. I would not even go to the roof of a tall building unless forced to.

And my intuition and logics tells me it is not true. As I said before, I don't automatically believe in everything that cannot be proven false.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    ...Sometimes a good conk on the head produces miracles!
    although i'll just say that if you start conking me on the head alot, I'll have to start suspecting you LIKE conking me and aren't just doing it for my intellectual edification.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Would it be meta-cognitively disonant to say that I merely conk you because I like you?

(My mom told me that when I was in kindergarden and you know what they say about everything you ever needed to know. . .)
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

If I keep prattling on like this maybe I can reach the finish line soon and dismiss my inferior status as a simple member and become - voila! - a simple Senior member.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Would it be meta-cognitively disonant to say that I merely conk you because I like you?
    Just don't mess with the hair, okay?

If I keep prattling on like this maybe I can reach the finish line soon and dismiss my inferior status as a simple member and become - voila! - a simple Senior member.)
    What? you're just using me to up your post count?!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Default Dancing and Flying

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    But we can easily have proof that I cannot fly.

And I would not test it from a large building, but rather in a controlled environment.

And I am scared of hights so I wouldn't test it all. I would not even go to the roof of a tall building unless forced to.

And my intuition and logics tells me it is not true. As I said before, I don't automatically believe in everything that cannot be proven false.
    Of course you can't fly in the real wold, but perhaps you might like to join me in the imaginary world.

When I go for a walk llke Colmena in the real world, I enter a light trance and sometimes I feel like dancing. So at first I imagined I was dancing as I was walking along the street. I imagined I was dancing on the pavement, in the roadway and around people.

To everybody else I looked as though I was just walking along the street, but I was also dancing in my imagination.

Then I realised I could not only imagine dancing as I walked but I could also imagine dancing and flying as I walked. This is very exciting and satisfying.

So I danced on the tree tops, on the bonnets of moving cars and on the waters of the lake. All the time appearing as a normal walker.

It is the combination of the real world with the imaginary at the same time that is freeing, liberating and satisfying.

Of course remembering that I was in a light trance and some of my cognitve faculties were asleep, I was very careful to keep myself safe - I was particularly careful in crossing the road.

So I discovered a delightful piece of magic that I could perform while out in public - I didn't frighten the horses and had the time of my life.

When I go to the movies, I notice Spiderman swings through the streets of New York. But he is far too serious, and let's face it, he doesn't dance.

So one day I expect he will meet the Joker who will ask, "Why so serious?".

But neither Spiderman nor the Joker dance. So they probably won't come flying and dancing with me through the streets.

And that leaves Ilah, who has trained her imagination in the New Age and is just about ready to dance and fly.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Just don't mess with the hair, okay?

Hey. As long as it's wantonly blowing in the breeze it's fair game. . .

What? you're just using me to up your post count?!
    Yup.

Actually I'd like to hear you say more about "a coping mechanism for avoiding cognitive disonance."

Do you think it's possible to avoid?
    Do you see ways that my method for the good guy/bad guy thing could be applied to other examples?

MBTI
    INFP

That's 98.