• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Losing Track of Time

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I suppose everybody loses track of time now and then, but with me it's chronic--and there seems to be a pattern to it. So, I'm wondering about it.

1. Is it just me?
2. Would personality type tie in with the pattern?
3. Is there a cure other than just looking at the clock more often?

Here's my pattern:

When I'm at work or doing anything scheduled, I keep pretty good track of time. I'll be working and think, Feels like it's about time for morning break; then I'll glance at the clock, and sure enough, it's quarter to ten or so.

But on my days off, when little or nothing is scheduled, my wife will ask what time it is, and I'll go look at a clock and exclaim, "Three o'clock? No way! I would have guessed one o'clock." And it has been that way for decades. If I don't pay attention, it's always just about two hours later than I think it is.

A hypothesis of mine is that it's because I grew up in California, lived there until I was thirty-one, and then moved to the Central time zone--where it's two hours later than on the Pacific coast. Is it possible that my mind and body are so conditioned to Pacific time that even after three decades my subconscious clock is still set to that standard?

Another thing I notice as I grow older is that days, weeks, months, and years pass by a lot more quickly and slip by without my realizing it. When I was a child, a year seemed like a vast stretch of time--a whole school year was practically forever. Today, if someone reminds me of an event from five or ten years ago, we might as well be talking about yesterday. When I applied for a job in 1981 and they told me I'd have to make a two-year commitment, I hesitated; I was reluctant to tie up that much of my life at a job that was just supposed to tide me over for a while. If I applied for a job today and was asked if I could stay two years, I'd say I hope to stay a lot longer than that; two years seems like a short time now.

Each year of the 1960s seems very distinct to me (I started high school in 1969). The 1970s blend together, and I can only distinguish between "early 70s" and "late 70s." After that, the 1980s to the present is just one blur of time; if you named a popular song or TV show, I wouldn't be able to say whether it was from the 1980s, 1990s, or 2000s.

Anyway, enough about me. Here comes the discussion question: How good are you at keeping track of time? Do you think the ability to keep track of time--or the tendency to lose track--is related to personality type, or to something else?

á´…eparted

passages
I never lose track of time. My internal clock/sense of time has always been very strong ever since I was little. As a consequence, I am almost never late, and usually the one to remind people around me of how much time is left, how much time has gone by etc.

I can't explain it, but I'm just very aware of it, and I automatically check clocks all the time without thinking.

Chrysanthea

I'd think that losing track of time is a blessing, because it means that you're not bored. I cherish the times when I get lost in something I love doing... because of the scarcity of ever feeling interested. Anyways, I myself purposely avoid looking at the clock because it makes me anxious for some reason. I'd much rather just guess the approximate time of the day based on how I am feeling or maybe the amount of sunlight. I really don't have a reason to know the time since I don't have a job or any events I am expected to come on time to. I think humans would be much happier without the need to keep track of time. Not saying that it's plausible in our own civilization as it is, but it would be ideal.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I imagine there are two main perceptions of time focus. One of timeline nodes we formulate that we hold aware of and one that we live within a present that makes time irrelevant by thought. It is often that the first one is constantly time conscious and the second holds mental strategies to be able to constantly manoeuvre through events that are held through the timeline. The time focused one tends to be more anxious and the present focused one tends to find more contentment in the present living but can sink to emotion by regret and guilt of events that happened out of the time-oriented timeline.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
You might like reading Kahneman and his studies on happiness/experience.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How good are you at keeping track of time?
Oh, I absolutely suck at it. I mean, when I have to be somewhere at a specific time, I'm really good at keeping my appointments, and I'm never late for anything. But when I have no demands on my time, and I'm just putzing around on the Internet or reading or drawing, I become totally oblivious to my surroundings, and before I know it, hours have passed. And I realize that I'm starving and my bladder is ready to burst.

I wonder if it's an introvert thing. Because we seem to be really good at getting lost inside our own heads.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i'm good at keeping track of time where i have problems is where i actually am (not constantly ugh that be awful, but more of i simply think i'm in a completely different place i am and then when i realize i'm not their but some where else its disorienting for a few seconds) and what time of year it is especially if its a place with one season but generally i'm too hyper aware when it comes to the small increments of time to lose track of them. plus i have a clock on my phone

though ii should mention that it mainly happens when drunk or high and to a lesser extent sober.

Last edited:

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, I absolutely suck at it. I mean, when I have to be somewhere at a specific time, I'm really good at keeping my appointments, and I'm never late for anything. But when I have no demands on my time, and I'm just putzing around on the Internet or reading or drawing, I become totally oblivious to my surroundings, and before I know it, hours have passed. And I realize that I'm starving and my bladder is ready to burst.

I wonder if it's an introvert thing. Because we seem to be really good at getting lost inside our own heads.
That sounds a lot like me, whatever it is.

The worst used to be computer games; I'd start playing one, and when I was finally ready to take a break or save the game and come back later, I'd discover that six or eight hours had somehow passed during the hour I spent playing. Nowadays the same thing can happen with these online forums: I intend to just check my e-mail and then grab a shower, get dressed, and go to work--but next thing I know I'm in the middle of replying to just one e-mail, and I'm already running late.

When people talk about superpowers, sometimes the superpower I'd like to have would be to stop time whenever I'm on the computer or reading or writing. I'd like to immerse myself in my favorite pastimes for as long as I like, and then look up at the clock and see that no time has passed at all. (I think it was the Time Stop spell in the old computer game Master of Magic that first made me think of that.)

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd think that losing track of time is a blessing, because it means that you're not bored.
That's true. But it also means I'm like Rip Van Winkle sometimes: I'll look around in disbelief and wonder where all the time went. When I was a kid, that story sounded like sci-fi or fantasy; now I've experienced the RVW phenomenon so often that there's nothing fictional about it.

My mother used to call and say things like, "Your cousin David is getting married," and I'd say, "David? But he's just a baby. How can a baby get married?" Well, he was a baby last time I saw him or thought about him--but that was more than twenty years ago.

Every now and then I run into an old friend and think, OMG, why does s/he look so old? Good thing there are never any mirrors around at times like those, or I'd really be shocked.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Anyway, enough about me. Here comes the discussion question: How good are you at keeping track of time? Do you think the ability to keep track of time--or the tendency to lose track--is related to personality type, or to something else?

I don't lose track of time. I've always been this way but I worked in a call center for a long time. Everything is accounted for to the second. I don't account down to the second in everyday life but I am certainly very cognizant of the time and it's rare that I lose track of time. This may be why I'm successful in working from home, managing my time has never been difficult. It could be related to personality, maybe E/I.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I usually don't put myself in situations where I need to keep track of time. I prefer to just let whatever last, last as long as it needs to at whatever time it needs to. Actually, I don't really think I am that good at keeping track of time now that I am thinking about it... I tend to sort of phase it out, if something needs to be done or strictly set.. Then I will probably set some sort of fallback for it, but even then-definate hit or miss. I have just as likely of a chance as phasing out the timer on the oven then hearing it enough for it to register and take care of it. Generally this means someone else has to dl that sort of stuff, take care of what I really just can't.

So yeah, I tend to avoid anything that is strictly set by time as I am slrt of bad at being aware enough of its passing.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I imagine there are two main perceptions of time focus. One of timeline nodes we formulate that we hold aware of and one that we live within a present that makes time irrelevant by thought. It is often that the first one is constantly time conscious and the second holds mental strategies to be able to constantly manoeuvre through events that are held through the timeline. The time focused one tends to be more anxious and the present focused one tends to find more contentment in the present living but can sink to emotion by regret and guilt of events that happened out of the time-oriented timeline.
My perception of time has two different modes also, but not in the way you describe. I have a very reliable internal clock, in that if you ask me at any point what time it is, I will usually guess within 15 minutes. I can also "program" myself to wake up at specific times apparently, even if quite early or different from my normal routine. I never rely on this and always use an alarm clock when it is important to get up at a specific time. Almost invariably, however, I wake up 10-15 minutes before the alarm goes off.

All of this requires deliberate intention on my part, however. I don't have to deliberately keep track of time to be able to estimate what time it is, but I do have to focus on making the estimate, based on what I know I have been doing, and perhaps other things going on. Absent any intentional focus, I can easily let time slip by without realizing how much has done so. Until something catches my attention, that is, and I make a conscious effort to guess.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My perception of time has two different modes also, but not in the way you describe. I have a very reliable internal clock, in that if you ask me at any point what time it is, I will usually guess within 15 minutes. I can also "program" myself to wake up at specific times apparently, even if quite early or different from my normal routine. I never rely on this and always use an alarm clock when it is important to get up at a specific time. Almost invariably, however, I wake up 10-15 minutes before the alarm goes off.

All of this requires deliberate intention on my part, however. I don't have to deliberately keep track of time to be able to estimate what time it is, but I do have to focus on making the estimate, based on what I know I have been doing, and perhaps other things going on. Absent any intentional focus, I can easily let time slip by without realizing how much has done so. Until something catches my attention, that is, and I make a conscious effort to guess.
A strong internal clock and time accuracy based on conscious thought. If I were to relate it to what I've described I could incline it to the second mode of dealing with matters as they unfold like day/night, fatigue levels and waking up when you need to based on your internal clock.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose everybody loses track of time now and then, but with me it's chronic--and there seems to be a pattern to it. So, I'm wondering about it.

1. Is it just me?
2. Would personality type tie in with the pattern?
3. Is there a cure other than just looking at the clock more often?

Here's my pattern:

When I'm at work or doing anything scheduled, I keep pretty good track of time. I'll be working and think, Feels like it's about time for morning break; then I'll glance at the clock, and sure enough, it's quarter to ten or so.

But on my days off, when little or nothing is scheduled, my wife will ask what time it is, and I'll go look at a clock and exclaim, "Three o'clock? No way! I would have guessed one o'clock." And it has been that way for decades. If I don't pay attention, it's always just about two hours later than I think it is.

A hypothesis of mine is that it's because I grew up in California, lived there until I was thirty-one, and then moved to the Central time zone--where it's two hours later than on the Pacific coast. Is it possible that my mind and body are so conditioned to Pacific time that even after three decades my subconscious clock is still set to that standard?

Another thing I notice as I grow older is that days, weeks, months, and years pass by a lot more quickly and slip by without my realizing it. When I was a child, a year seemed like a vast stretch of time--a whole school year was practically forever. Today, if someone reminds me of an event from five or ten years ago, we might as well be talking about yesterday. When I applied for a job in 1981 and they told me I'd have to make a two-year commitment, I hesitated; I was reluctant to tie up that much of my life at a job that was just supposed to tide me over for a while. If I applied for a job today and was asked if I could stay two years, I'd say I hope to stay a lot longer than that; two years seems like a short time now.

Each year of the 1960s seems very distinct to me (I started high school in 1969). The 1970s blend together, and I can only distinguish between "early 70s" and "late 70s." After that, the 1980s to the present is just one blur of time; if you named a popular song or TV show, I wouldn't be able to say whether it was from the 1980s, 1990s, or 2000s.

a) I generally don't lose track of time: I've woken up from a nap and *pinged* the time within ten minutes immediately upon waking. I think it's an INTJ thing?
b) I *do* lose track of time when engaged in intense intellectual effort (devouring a book whole, programming) which is why I like to look at the clock on my screen.
c) Yes, time speeds up when you get older. My analog clocks now double as fans.

Kas

Fabula rasa

That is completely true about me.

If it comes to job or appointments, I do things on time. But when I start doing something, it's like getting into the other world. Then I realize that e.g just have passed 3 hours, I'm hungry and there is probably no water in the soup I'm cooking

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
a) I generally don't lose track of time: I've woken up from a nap and *pinged* the time within ten minutes immediately upon waking. I think it's an INTJ thing?
Could be. My wife's an INTJ, and she's like that too.

b) I *do* lose track of time when engaged in intense intellectual effort (devouring a book whole, programming) which is why I like to look at the clock on my screen.
I suppose my wife's like that too, but like you, she does look at the clock. Me, I lose track even when engaged in vague, daydreamy intellectual or imaginative activity--games, stories, imaginary conversations, or most anything. And I don't think to look at any clocks then because it'd pull me out of the mood I like being in.

c) Yes, time speeds up when you get older. My analog clocks now double as fans.
:D

Another way I heard that said is that time is like a roll of toilet paper: the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I have a pretty good sense of time - to the point that I factor in subjective feelings of whether I feel time is going fast vs slow, and accounting for that. For example, at work, if things are super slow, I can usually still assess what time it is or how much time has gone by; vs if things are crazy busy, I can also assess (what I mean by factoring in this difference is, if I'm super busy, my initial thought is that a lot of time may have gone by, but then I'll like recalibrate or something and more accurately adjust for that 'feeling'. That probably makes very little sense but I don't know how to word it.)

I also think ones perception of the passage of time can be pretty interesting, esp taking into context this whole subjective element. Like, some of the longest-feeling days (but in a good way) can be when I've done and seen many things, either via foot or just via activity. Vs sometimes doing absolutely nothing can just fly by -- or sometimes doing nothing is interminably slow. I think it's a combo of whether you're zen-like about it, where time more flows, vs hyper conscious of it, where then each second might drag on. Or hyper immersed in a physical experience, time can also extend in that sense. It all depends on the lens and ones mood I suppose....

I'm also very good at knowing how long things are going to take to do -- whether driving, getting ready for work, whatnot -- and I have to say it can frustrate me dealing w/ people who have absolutely no sense of time or how long things will take to do, or awareness of their own speed/ability/method of doing things. haha.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could be. My wife's an INTJ, and she's like that too.

I suppose my wife's like that too, but like you, she does look at the clock. Me, I lose track even when engaged in vague, daydreamy intellectual or imaginative activity--games, stories, imaginary conversations, or most anything. And I don't think to look at any clocks then because it'd pull me out of the mood I like being in.

:D

Another way I heard that said is that time is like a roll of toilet paper: the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.
Am I allowed to say, "Oh sh!t" ?

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If something isn't important to me I can be late, and not really care.

If it is important to me I can arrive on time just fine. Unless under stress, then I will either sleep in from staying up too late or not sleep at all.

When I'm absorbed in an interest or activity I am in my HEAD and that is all that exists. My world. . . It is then I am most likely to lose track of time do to single minded focus. . Like research or talking to someone. Reading a book, writing my story. Studying. I can spend the whole day on it if I am not careful.

Hanging with my friend. When that happens I stop all texting or other distractions so that my full attention is only on the friend I am with or I find it somewhat rude. In which case, time still flies if I enjoy the company.

Or if there is problem with my computer or something that I want to fix, I can spend all day on it and neglect food.

All about focus and importance.