• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intellectual Corruption, Moral Corruption, and Mental Illness

Mole

Permabanned
Does intellectual corruption reinforce moral corruption? And does intellectual and moral corruption lead to mental illness?

Mental illness has historically been taken out of the moral realm and put in the medical realm. But quite unlike physical illness, mental illness is rarely caused by a lesion or an infectious agent.

So the question remains. Is mental illness a moral problem or is mental illness a medical problem?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
First of all... There are 29 guests browsing this thread right now. That is almost unbelievable to me, don't know why, but it just is.

I think that there are many reasons that someone would develop a mental illness. But I wouldn't say that it was a moral problem, even if it isn't 'medical'. There are certain mental disorders that are causes chemically, but though in some cases they may be more severe, I wouldn't say that they were any less significant. That to me is what a 'moral problem' implies. That a person can somehow just get over it by a force of will, and that if they don't then they just aren't trying hard enough.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All mental illness stems from intellectual dishonesty. But at the root of intellectual dishonesty, is the drive to indulge in moral corruption. And what better way to engage in both moral corruption and intellectual dishonesty than to post on Typology Central?

Typology has historically been taken out of the medical realm and placed in the psychological realm of our dreams and inner imagination. Although the scars of self-delusion and intellectual error are not always visible upon those burdened by typology, this does not make them any less real.

And yet the question remains. Does Typology Central cause mental illness?

Mole

Permabanned
The Divided Self

Do you know anything about mental illness?

I was part of the R.D.Laing group at the University of New South Wales. R.D.Laing was a gifted psychiatrist, with a remarkable empathy with those with schizophrenia.

And R.D.Laing opened the radical residential centre, Kingsley Hall, in the heart of London, for those suffering from schizophrenia.

And R.D.Laing wrote a number of popular books of some influence. I particularly remember The Divided Self.

And for a number of years our group visited the Psychiatric Unit of Prince Henry Hospital in Little Bay, Sydney, to befriend schizophrenic patients. And to this day I maintain friendships with schizophrenic people.

You may read The Divided Self by clicking on http://www.psycope.co.uk/resources/laing_the_divided_self.pdf

Mole

Permabanned
First of all... There are 29 guests browsing this thread right now. That is almost unbelievable to me, don't know why, but it just is.

I think that there are many reasons that someone would develop a mental illness. But I wouldn't say that it was a moral problem, even if it isn't 'medical'. There are certain mental disorders that are causes chemically, but though in some cases they may be more severe, I wouldn't say that they were any less significant. That to me is what a 'moral problem' implies. That a person can somehow just get over it by a force of will, and that if they don't then they just aren't trying hard enough.

Yes, force of will is not an answer. And certainly some mental illnesses are caused in our metabolism or even a lesion in our brain. But still mental illness remains a bit of a mystery to me. Are the mentally ill touched by God? Or is it just genetic bad luck? Or does our family upbringing result in mental illness? Or perhaps education and work have a role to play. Do drugs precipitate schizophrenia? And poverty is certainly no help.

I notice that in many schizophrenic people that although they may have thought disorder, their emotions are well ordered and easy to understand.

And by comparison I notice many clinically depressed have emotional disorder but their thoughts are well ordered and easily communicated.

Mole

Permabanned
Toad and Typology

All mental illness stems from intellectual dishonesty. But at the root of intellectual dishonesty, is the drive to indulge in moral corruption. And what better way to engage in both moral corruption and intellectual dishonesty than to post on Typology Central?

Typology has historically been taken out of the medical realm and placed in the psychological realm of our dreams and inner imagination. Although the scars of self-delusion and intellectual error are not always visible upon those burdened by typology, this does not make them any less real.

And yet the question remains. Does Typology Central cause mental illness?

Toad, I understand, developed one of his enthusiasms for Typology Central, but fortunately he was rescued by his friends Badger, the Water Rat, and my good self, Mole. After some social embarrassment and excitement, and unfortunate insults by the Weasels and the Stoats, Toad eventually, if reluctantly, saw reason, as Badger is very persuasive, and returned chastened to his reasonable decent self, to the relief of all his friends.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was part of the R.D.Laing group at the University of New South Wales. R.D.Laing was a gifted psychiatrist, with a remarkable empathy with those with schizophrenia.

And R.D.Laing opened the radical residential centre, Kingsley Hall, in the heart of London, for those suffering from schizophrenia.

And R.D.Laing wrote a number of popular books of some influence. I particularly remember The Divided Self.

And for a number of years our group visited the Psychiatric Unit of Prince Henry Hospital in Little Bay, Sydney, to befriend schizophrenic patients. And to this day I maintain friendships with schizophrenic people.

You may read The Divided Self by clicking on http://www.psycope.co.uk/resources/laing_the_divided_self.pdf

I feel sorry for the patients you work with. Implying illness with genetic roots and clear physical manifestation is borne of character flaw is about the most damaging thing you can do.

á´…eparted

passages
I feel sorry for the patients you work with. Implying illness with genetic roots and clear physical manifestation is borne of character flaw is about the most damaging thing you can do.

As someone with bipolar disorder type 2, and I have had genetic testing done that strongly supports the diagnosis, I find his assertions to not only be wrong and extremely insulting (though I am not personally insulted), but flat out harmful and dangerous.

He's essentially called many people on this forum broken shitty individuals for completely wrong and 100% unfounded reasons. I do NOT take kindly to that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
^^^to be fair he's not the first person to say this though i was more offended back then i am now. Not that i approve just so we're clear just this stuff doesn't actually apply to me. Like i thought it did. Still doesn't this fall under discrimination of some type?

Lark

He's back.

He's back, he's back, he's back.

Joe Blade is back!

- - - Updated - - -

^^^to be fair he's not the first person to say this though i was more offended back then i am now. Not that i approve just so we're clear just this stuff doesn't actually apply to me. Like i thought it did. Still doesn't this fall under discrimination of some type?

Why does it have to? Why cant everyone just not give a shit about it?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
He's back.

He's back, he's back, he's back.

Joe Blade is back!

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it have to? Why cant everyone just not give a shit about it?
I don't know let's not give a shit about anything there we're now officially apathethetic

Mole

Permabanned

I don't work with patients. Rather I am part of a group who befriends those suffering from mental illness. We put our concern for those who suffer from mental illness into practical support.

One of the sharp suffering of those with mental illness is social exclusion, so we go to the trouble of including the mentally ill in our friendship circle. And it requires hard work and determination and a considerable amount of self awareness.

We take as our model Kingsley Hall, a radical residential unit founded by Dr R.D.Laing.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Corruption is an odd word to use.

It smacks of the fanatic and implies there is a set standard.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't work with patients. Rather I am part of a group who befriends those suffering from mental illness. We put our concern for those who suffer from mental illness into practical support.

One of the sharp suffering of those with mental illness is social exclusion, so we go to the trouble of including the mentally ill in our friendship circle. And it requires hard work and determination and a considerable amount of self awareness.

We take as our model Kingsley Hall, a radical residential unit founded by Dr R.D.Laing.

Oh... I feel sorry for your friends.*

Have you discussed this theory with your colleagues?

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does intellectual corruption reinforce moral corruption? And does intellectual and moral corruption lead to mental illness?

Mental illness has historically been taken out of the moral realm and put in the medical realm. But quite unlike physical illness, mental illness is rarely caused by a lesion or an infectious agent.

So the question remains. Is mental illness a moral problem or is mental illness a medical problem?

Considering that most experts agree that environmental factors can contribute to the development of mental illness, then I would say yes. People who are intellectually and morally corrupt can contribute to mental illness in people who are affected by their negative behaviors. For example, I believe that most wars were started by people who were intellectually and morally corrupt. Soldiers who come back from those wars with PTSD probably wouldn't have ever had those issues if it weren't for intellectually and morally corrupt leaders, whichever side of the fence you think that falls on. Many times, people who have developed mental illness were abused as children or even in their adult life. I suppose that would be another example.

I believe the current theories are that, for many mental illnesses, there is a combination of biological environmental, and sometimes physiological factors involved in the development of mental illness. Still, some leading neuroscientists believe that it is completely biological/physiological. The question of explaining why twins separated at birth, experiencing different levels of nurture and care, yet developing the same mental illness comes to mind. Also, one must wonder why some who use drugs or experience horrors in their lives develop mental illness while others do not. It seems safe to say that there must be at least some biological factors at play.

I believe you mentioned drugs and I believe you are trying to insinuate that it is moral and intellectual corruption on the part of the individuals who suffer from mental illness that causes them to do so. Considering that you focus on schizophrenia, this doesn't surprise me. I'm sure you've heard stories of how someone smoked marijuana and that "kick started" their illness. However, even the experts who list this as a causing factor, state that it is an issue for someone who is already genetically predispositioned. Who is to say that they didn't decide to use drugs because they were trying to self medicate for issues they were already having and made it worse instead? Who is to say that six months later they wouldn't have encountered an extremely stressful situation and ended up in the same place? As far as I'm aware, there is no hard proof that this even occurs.

If you are saying that people with mental illness have brought it upon themselves by being intellectually/morally corrupt, then I fail to see how you can say that you are "friends" with people suffering from schizophrenia. That would be like visiting a burn unit and comforting patients and then leaving and discussing how they brought it upon themselves by not being cautious enough.

Furthermore, I would assume that you're aware that even children can develop mental illness. Would you suppose that is because they are intellectually/morally corrupt? Do you also believe that everything bad that ever happens to anyone is some sort of cosmic punishment?

The roots of mental illness

Mole

Permabanned
Considering that most experts agree that environmental factors can contribute to the development of mental illness, then I would say yes. People who are intellectually and morally corrupt can contribute to mental illness in people who are affected by their negative behaviors. For example, I believe that most wars were started by people who were intellectually and morally corrupt. Soldiers who come back from those wars with PTSD probably wouldn't have ever had those issues if it weren't for intellectually and morally corrupt leaders, whichever side of the fence you think that falls on. Many times, people who have developed mental illness were abused as children or even in their adult life. I suppose that would be another example.

I believe the current theories are that, for many mental illnesses, there is a combination of biological environmental, and sometimes physiological factors involved in the development of mental illness. Still, some leading neuroscientists believe that it is completely biological/physiological. The question of explaining why twins separated at birth, experiencing different levels of nurture and care, yet developing the same mental illness comes to mind. Also, one must wonder why some who use drugs or experience horrors in their lives develop mental illness while others do not. It seems safe to say that there must be at least some biological factors at play.

I believe you mentioned drugs and I believe you are trying to insinuate that it is moral and intellectual corruption on the part of the individuals who suffer from mental illness that causes them to do so. Considering that you focus on schizophrenia, this doesn't surprise me. I'm sure you've heard stories of how someone smoked marijuana and that "kick started" their illness. However, even the experts who list this as a causing factor, state that it is an issue for someone who is already genetically predispositioned. Who is to say that they didn't decide to use drugs because they were trying to self medicate for issues they were already having and made it worse instead? Who is to say that six months later they wouldn't have encountered an extremely stressful situation and ended up in the same place? As far as I'm aware, there is no hard proof that this even occurs.

If you are saying that people with mental illness have brought it upon themselves by being intellectually/morally corrupt, then I fail to see how you can say that you are "friends" with people suffering from schizophrenia. That would be like visiting a burn unit and comforting patients and then leaving and discussing how they brought it upon themselves by not being cautious enough.

Furthermore, I would assume that you're aware that even children can develop mental illness. Would you suppose that is because they are intellectually/morally corrupt? Do you also believe that everything bad that ever happens to anyone is some sort of cosmic punishment?

The roots of mental illness

Let us consider Typology Central. Largely we are narcissistic with a nasty streak, and we increasingly maintain our narcissistic community by authoritarian means. So it seems to me Typology Central corrupts empathy and creativity.

Or another way of putting it is that communal narcissism corrupts joy.

In the latest movie just out, Inside Out, we see the struggle for joy.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You know if you hate this place so much why not leave?

This is just as baffling as my friend when she's like i hate h er when she's sober and i hate her when she's fucked up. And i was like then why are you friends with her? I never got an answer and i don't expect one here either.