• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Asperger's, ADD/ADHD, and Response to Sensory Information

Anabel

MBTI Type
isfj
Enneagram
9w1
Differently abled - so true. Aspies are different not defective. Here is Tony Attwood's spin on this - I love this piece of work...

Discovery criteria for aspie by Attwood and Gray
(Available from Tony Attwood - Author of The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome - Welcome)

A. A qualitative advantage in social interaction, as manifested by a majority of the following:

1. peer relationships characterized by absolute loyalty and impeccable dependability
2. free of sexist, "age-ist", or culturalist biases; ability to regard others at "face value"
3. speaking one’s mind irrespective of social context or adherence to personal beliefs
4. ability to pursue personal theory or perspective despite conflicting evidence
5. seeking an audience or friends capable of: enthusiasm for unique interests and topics;
6. consideration of details; spending time discussing a topic that may not be of primary interest
7. listening without continual judgement or assumption
8. interested primarily in significant contributions to conversation; preferring to avoid ‘ritualistic small talk’ or socially trivial statements and superficial conversation.
9. seeking sincere, positive, genuine friends with an unassuming sense of humour

B. Fluent in "Aspergerese", a social language characterized by at least three of the following:

1. a determination to seek the truth
2. conversation free of hidden meaning or agenda
3. advanced vocabulary and interest in words
4. fascination with word-based humour, such as puns
5. advanced use of pictorial metaphor

C. Cognitive skills characterized by at least four of the following:

1. strong preference for detail over gestalt
2. original, often unique perspective in problem solving
3. exceptional memory and/or recall of details often forgotten or disregarded by others, for example: names, dates, schedules, routines
4. avid perseverance in gathering and cataloguing information on a topic of interest
5. persistence of thought
6. encyclopaedic or ‘CD ROM’ knowledge of one or more topics
7. knowledge of routines and a focused desire to maintain order and accuracy
8. clarity of values/decision making unaltered by political or financial factors

D. Additional possible features:

1. acute sensitivity to specific sensory experiences and stimuli, for example: hearing, touch, vision, and/or smell
2. strength in individual sports and games, particularly those involving
3. endurance or visual accuracy, including rowing, swimming, bowling, chess
4. “social unsung hero” with trusting optimism: frequent victim of social
5. weaknesses of others, while steadfast in the belief of the possibility of genuine friendship
6. increased probability over general population of attending university after high school
7. often take care of others outside the range of typical development

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds just below ultrasonic fuck with my head. I once went and told a co-worker playing with this one iPhone app to stop and I guess the face and tone I said it in scared the shit out of him. I'm on the attention deficit spectrum.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
What about extraverted Asperger's?

Say you love to go out, have a good time at a party, but then come home and update your spreadsheet which calculates the average high temperature difference between Chicago and St. Louis since January 1.

GentJon

MBTI Type
ISFP
I've got Asperger's. I never had much problem with sensory overload. In fact, I always found light and color fascinating. Fireworks, Christmas lights, theatrical lighting instruments. All kind of cool with me. Of course, like most people, I never liked the fingernails on a chalkboard sound. But the only sound other than that I've ever been sensitive to that anyone might find odd is that when I was young, old enough that my sister three years younger than me would have been potty trained, but still young enough that we hadn't started to be real modest around each other yet, I couldn't stand to hear my sister urinating. The sound of her urine stream striking the water or the sides of the toilet bowl would drive me away.

But if a bedroom has a ceiling fan running, my eyes will tend to follow the blades if I'm lying on my back on the bed, awake. It's nothing I can't look away from. But if I am facing the fan while it is running, my eyes will be trying to follow one blade.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
GentJon, I am just the opposite. I do not have Asperger's syndrome but I do have sensory processing disorder and auditory processing disorder. I have a great problem with sensory overload, especially noise and bright lights and light touch and odors and crowds. I've been told that my level of sensory processing disorder is unusual for someone who is not autistic. I would make a good guinea pig. Apparently, I am... um... unique. Too bad I'm not a enneagram 4 type so that I could really enjoy being that unique.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
GentJon, I am just the opposite. I do not have Asperger's syndrome but I do have sensory processing disorder and auditory processing disorder. I have a great problem with sensory overload, especially noise and bright lights and light touch and odors and crowds. I've been told that my level of sensory processing disorder is unusual for someone who is not autistic. I would make a good guinea pig. Apparently, I am... um... unique. Too bad I'm not a enneagram 4 type so that I could really enjoy being that unique.

you don't have to be a 4 to appreciate being unique :hug: