User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    The only thing I can think to add is that when my younger son was "stimming" in an inappropriate way at school, they taped some textured fabric to his desk to give him something else to play with. Thank God for an understanding teacher and a clever speech therapist.
    Wow, what a great teacher! And therapist!
    I might have done something similar in kindergarten... but I'll never 'fess up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfurher
    And if you weren't already aware. I have Asperger's Syndrome, and some of what is written about it on the Internet is quite wrong.
    Yeah, I picked up on that when you mentioned the Asperger's furher (Oops, Freudian!) further back in the thread.

As for what Asperger's is, I haven't read much about it on-line. Would anyone agree that most "diagnoses" leave out individuality or just say that one is atypical when one doesn't totally match the symptoms or agree with the diagnosis, or something?... As far as I'm concerned, reading about mbti or autism can be enlightening, but no personality type or diagnosis can encompass the totality of who one is... They're kinda helpful, but "as through a glass, darkly", if you catch my drift.

I might be wrong. I certainly haven't studied these issues.

I'm gonna go read the website Uberfurher mentioned....
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I agree with crabapple. Some of the criteria do not fit every person on the spectrum.

My older son is most likely an extroverted sensor (ESTJ, if I just had to guess) and both of them have always been very snuggly and had no problems with eye contact. Older son doesn't flap (he chews things, especially shirt collars). Younger son does flap a little.

Neither of them have a thing for lining things up. Younger son does like things that spin.

Older son doesn't flip out from most loud sounds and is loud himself. Younger son will start screaming if you start the vacuum without warning him and if he can, he will leave the house until the noise is over.

Both sons are well-above average at math for their grades. Older son doesn't like reading, but reads well. Younger son is having issues with reading due to his rigid way of looking at things.

Older son really only cares about video games. Younger son loves all kinds of science. Animals, machines, space.

Taking things literally is a standard family joke. Even the neurotypical NF daughter does it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I agree with crabapple. Some of the criteria do not fit every person on the spectrum.
    Yes, but can't we generalize? It makes things so much easier (and satisfying)!

MBTI
    INFJ

Aside: I am glad that there's less stigma and more understanding than in the days I was a kid.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    Aside: I am glad that there's less stigma and more understanding than in the days I was a kid.
    With some of the activist moms out there, a person is taking their life in their hands to stigmatize autistic children.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Whenever I see connections between things, I obsess about them.

And if you weren't already aware. I have Asperger's Syndrome, and some of what is written about it on the Internet is quite wrong.
    I am curious to know as to what is wrong written in the net.
    Do not give me the links. Just narrate it in a nutshell.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, there is a certain conception about what's described about AS and HFA on the Internet. The perception is that people with these disabilities are concrete in their thinking and lack imagination because of a lack of desire to engage in imaginative play with others.

MBTI
    INTP

A lack of desire to play with others has no connection with imagination.

Concrete thinking is not the negation of abstract thinking.
    The reverse is true.

Neurotypicality and neuroatypicality disagree in a kind of ability.
    Not in a measure of ability.

The autists do have specific disabilities. The neurotypicals have another set of disabilities.

To call the autists disabled per se .. is prejudice.

MBTI
    INFJ

Hmmmm.... Differently abled?
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    Hmmmm.... Differently abled?
    you hit the nail on the head sister