• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MoodGYM: A Free CBT Resource for Depression and Anxiety

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Came across an article in the Times earlier today talking about a new trend in self-help, the growing number of resources that offer free online cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

The one they highlighted is called MoodGYM. I've been playing with it tonight, and it's pretty neat. MoodGYM specifically helps to provide tools for people who suffer from depression and anxiety. As someone who has dealt with depression most of my adult life (and has had pretty bad luck with therapist), I always appreciate new ideas that can potentially help manage my condition without relying on meds. What I liked about the site was that it was very straightforward, practical and had minimal frills or magical thinking.

Check it out if you have a chance. I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen of it so far.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Came across an article in the Times earlier today talking about a new trend in self-help, the growing number of resources that offer free online cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

The one they highlighted is called MoodGYM. I've been playing with it tonight, and it's pretty neat. MoodGYM specifically helps to provide tools for people who suffer from depression and anxiety. As someone who has dealt with depression most of my adult life (and has a pretty bad luck with therapist), I always appreciate new ideas that can potentially help manage my condition without relying on meds. What I liked about the site was that it was very straightforward, practical and had minimal frills or magical thinking.

Check it out if you have a chance. I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen of it so far.

I got a Page Unavailable error. Do you have to sign up first?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The information provided throughout MoodGYM is intended for information and skill development purposes only. This site is not designed to treat clinical levels of depression or anxiety or other mental health disorders. The diagnosis and treatment of clinical anxiety and depression requires a medical practitioner or qualified mental health professional. One reason this is important is that anxiety and depression are sometimes caused by physical illness or certain medications and a doctor can check these out. People seeking a diagnosis or treatment of depression, anxiety or other mental disorders should consult a medical practitioner or mental health professional. None of the information on this web site is a substitute for a diagnosis and treatment by an appropriate health professional.

Certainly still give it a try though. Thanks Rex.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is very cool. I think it may be really helpful to a young person in my life who is struggling. Thanks for sharing this!

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Certainly still give it a try though. Thanks Rex.

I was not trying to give the impression that this was something to be used in lieu of a medical professional by any means. Just that if folks are looking for new tools to assist in managing their moods, this is somethings that's out there. I hope it's helpful to you.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Simple ideas coming from many angles of approach give variety to a field that often gets one sided.

I just wonder if it will show results, or be a lumosity thing. (Does Lumosity Work? | MD-Health.com - basically, if you work for hours on it than you might see improvement.. otherwise you might be playing just for the sake of playing.. and it might not develop your brain anymore than any other video game since the training lasts for about 5-7 minutes total a day.)

Kas

Fabula rasa
It looks pretty good:)- as extra help of course and not the only help someone takes.

Btw I think lumosity is quite good. There are similar exercises as during rehabilitation when someone suffers from dementia. It won't make you smart, but it is something that helps to keep you using your brain . I think it's good for old people. Of course same they can just go to lectures, keep doing crosswords, just any mental exercise.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes this would be supplementary to real professional intervention, but in that role I think it could be useful if there's buy-in from the person using it.

ygolo

My termites win
I've tried similar things in the past. It helps a little. Working with a CBT professional has helped before too.

I'm also enrolled in a clinical trial for something similar. I may try this after that one is over.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Excellent resource. Looking forward to trying it out. (I'm not depressed currently, but have been in the past, and appreciate any and all resources that could help prevent me from falling back into those patterns.)

Thanks, Rex. :)

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If this is as good it looks, then it' awesome! Thank you so much for the tip! :hugs: