• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I develop a sense of humor?

booya moon

MBTI Type
ENTP
I read somewhere that humor is the product of both sides of the brain, so I think it`s probably your upbringing that is responsible for the lack of humor, not you being ISTJ :unsure: Maybe unconsciously you think it is bad to make jokes, because your parents were so serious and gave you that impression when you were young.
I have ISTJ friend who is like you, but only when there are many people present. When we are alone or in a small group of people she knows well, she is really funny most of the time.
Maybe you should try your humor in a "safe" environment with people you know well first and than move to larger audiences :D

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ministry of Silly Walks is moderately amusing to me, but not that funny. I must do more research on this matter! :)
You know what's funny? I just noticed that your avatar is not what I thought it was. It looked like a bunch of coffee mugs sitting upside-down on top of a person's head, overlapping with each other.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
You know what's funny? I just noticed that your avatar is not what I thought it was. It looked like a bunch of coffee mugs sitting upside-down on top of a person's head, overlapping with each other.

I'll give it away: Hamamatsu Photonics.

At least you didn't say squid tentacles!

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
That's a good idea. I've never read him before, any recommendations on where to start?

I've read some Douglas Adams, I'm guessing they're similar?

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
Guards! Guards! Is my absolute favorite starting point--and the whole Guards series is wonderful, culminating in Men at Arms, one of the best books I've ever read, period.

I used to not have any sense of humor. Reading funny, sarcastic authors really helps me start thinking in a humorous way.

Probably similar to Douglas Adams, yep! Here's a reading guide/map: The Terry Pratchett Read Order

Small Gods is hilarious too. They are all wonderful, but some are absolutely outstanding too.

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
PS-my dad is ISTJ and likes to use popular jokes/funny stories for humor. (Readers Digest funnies, etc.) He uses funny accents and tones of voices for various things and he's quite popular.

Also, he loves Terry Pratchett. I pass along all the books I read to him. :D

lookoutbelow84093

MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm a sense of humor...
I would embrace your emotions. I think most humor has to do with people letting out their emotions in a socially acceptable way.

iamWong

MBTI Type
INTJ
How To Develop a Sense of Humour

Step 1: Brush up on jokes. If required, obtain joke books.

Step2: Watch more comedies. Eg: french and saunders. Little britain.

Step 3: there are no steps to developing a sense of humour silly.
It comes naturally. There's no faster way of killing it than trying to create one.
Just stick with the little jokes you like - punning, anyone ?

Good luck on this one.
May you find your inner funny.

Some wise guy once said
"Many strive to be funny, many practice being funny, many remain boring sods"

Lighten up, man. I'm sure you'll find your inner funny someday :)