User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

You could start by being less of a total nerd.

I have a feeling that you're putting too much pressure on yourself to come up with the "right" line. Wit and humor are best when they're spontaneous, and those people aren't putting pressure on themselves to be funny. It happens because their mind is free to move into areas of linguistic and situation absurdity. You can't demand yourself to produce something like that because you can't demand that you produce anything natural. So, you really have to be in the right mood, and self-critical or judgmental (same thing, different orientation) is not the right mood.

So, what should you do? I say forget trying to be a funny person and focus on laughing and loosening up. Start to broaden your comedic palette by searching out new comedians and new forms of comedy (physical, slapstick, situational). If you demand yourself to like it, well, obviously, you won't, because you won't be in the right mood (back to self-critical). If you've already set some parameters about what humor tickles you, you also won't enjoy it because you'll be too discriminating (back to judgmental). If you just give a chance, who knows. Maybe it'll suck, but maybe you'll find its extreme suckage to be amusing.

YouTube and ComedyCentral might be some places to start. Renting some movies, watching some shows (Curb Your Enthusiasm), cartoons maybe (Family Guy), too. (I don't like modern sitcoms either, by the way.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Try searching yourself up some 'Yes minister' and 'Yes prime minister' if you like word humour.

Oh and echoing Edahn, it's a game. Just play it the way you enjoy playing it. Screw what others find funny. Hell half the time I'm the only one laughing but I can usually jolly people along.

The ISTJ I know usually finds parallels with his vast repository of information funny or amusing switches of words but most often of all he is the straight guy. It's not that he's funny per se but his reactions to humour are. From my point of view I'm happy to have him around because even though he's no Tommy Cooper he is fun... even if it is based on a background of victimisation (as lots of humour is).
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoy laughter and being silly. I just don't find lots of mainstream humor funny. Saturday Night Live and John Stewart are hit-or-miss for me lots of the time. I don't get Monty Python humor (it's just strange to me, occasionally funny, but not belly-laugh funny). For puns, it depends....some are reallly bad. I do like satires, like Family Guy or South Park, depending on the subject. Most of the time I don't care for those shows.

But I still don't really know how to answer people's witty remarks with retorts of my own. I tend to answer seriously all the time. Eh, I think you're right that I put too much pressure on myself. I think I need to be able to understand N humor (like Monty Python) better before I can do that.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I found the thread title hilarious... Maybe you could consciously make similar jokes and develop self-irony?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

But then you would be laughing *at* me and not *with* me. It's bad enough already.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by dnivera View Post
    But then you would be laughing *at* me and not *with* me. It's bad enough already.
    Then take charge and make it a conscious decision.

Someone not getting a joke can be very funny. If you emphasise the literal meaning and play it up, it can make it even more funny.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INXP

THE VICAR OF DIBLEY jokes at the end. ^

Can some people in the UK give me a

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Then just hit them with some awesome T pre and post jokes.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Actually, I think you're taking this humor thing too seriously. From the way you've described yourself, you sound pretty normal to me. There is nothing wrong with you. So not everything is funny to you? That's okay. And guess what? When other people are talking to you and being all witty and funny, they usually like to be the "star" or "the funniest person in the room" anyway, so let them. If all else fails, I think Victor's advice was good.

MBTI
    ENFJ

S and N humor are likely different.

A bit of advice -- don't tell jokes in a deadpan. They'll think you're serious. I've gotten into assloads of trouble this way.

And a question for you. Do you find the Ministry of Silly Walks funny?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    S and N humor are likely different.

A bit of advice -- don't tell jokes in a deadpan. They'll think you're serious. I've gotten into assloads of trouble this way.
    Admittedly that can be pretty funny though.