• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your belief regarding the EGO? What do you believe it is?

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Everyone has a different definition of an EGO. Eckhart Toll talks about the EGO as if it is holding on to the past or future and not living in the present. That would be all good but it is possible that all three exist concurrently. We don't know. The invention of the present moment, to boot, is as much as a belief as any.

Jung defined it similar to Freud. In general it is believed in psychology in psychoanalytic theory that the EGO is not bad and necessary for survival.

In other words, a weak ego is as egotistical as an inflated ego since a weak ego will bring everyone down with it...can you carry your own weight? OR are you just dead weight?

Jung would say the ego is the seat of "I." In our dreams, it is the viewer...the center of conciousness...without it, we have no continuity in our memory. To lose teh ego - the mechanism which receives messages from the unconcioussness and questions society, is essentially to become mindless, and weak, and bend to the will of any force - be it good or evil.

An inflated ego is when, in theory, we think we know more than we do and a weak ego is when we live in denial and pretend we do not know something that we do.

But in truth, I do not know what the ego is...I do not even know if I have one or two or nine...in fact, I don't believe in an EGO, at the moment...except as it is used phenomenologically as a way to describe the experience of continuity in memory and thoughts.

When I was born, I thought everyone was me and I was them. I put my hands on the stove and burned them to a crisp because I thought the stove was really my stomach, or some extension of my body.

I didn't realize until later in life that I was a "separate unit" and it is quite unnatural actually, to think that we are separate beings, as many of the primal languages of indigenous people indicate, and some modern languages too, it is conditioning that makes us think that what we gain is an individual benefit.

Such a realization tends to blow and shatter the mind, but it is a fact, as true as gravity, that it was only recently in history that people developed more individual units of self being, and this is why we cannot comprehend ancient cultures in truth, because their conceptions of the unit individual were different.

Neither is better nor worse, but all point to the fact, or possible fact that the ego is as mythic as the center of the universe, mayhaps, not to sound pedagogical or tyrannical in my affirmations, but I speak strongly in general - take nothing of it. I'm simply pumping and priming the thought noggens because I hear a lot about EGOS and what not, but no one really has seen one, nor is there a neurocorrelate in the brain for one either, nor does everyone subscribe to the same definition.

So just drop your mad-knowledge in the bucket kids and chime in...you don't have to agree or disagree....just say what you think an ego is and that way we can all learn how to drink water from the fountain.