User Tag List

12 Last

heart on fire

Default Enlightenment vs Romanticism

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The Enlightenment has had three great successes - the Abolition of Institutionalised Slavery by the House of Commons in 1833, the Emancipation of Women in the Twentieth Century and the enforcing of the laws against child sexual abuse today.

Always remembering the Enlightenment has its enemies - the Romantic Movement and the myth of the Noble Savage, the New Age Movement and MBTI, and Islam.

The Enlightenment has given us everything we value in the Modern World but at the cost of some stress which we try to relieve by turning back to the irrational.

Check it out dude:

The Beggar's Benison: Sex Clubs of Enlightenment Scotland and Their Rituals

David Stevenson

265pp, Tuckwell Press, 18.99

The Hell-Fire Clubs: Sex, Rakes and Libertines in Eighteenth-century Europe by Geoffrey Ashe

"Ashe traces the influence of libertarian (He means here as in Libertine sexually) philosophies on the world of the Enlightenment, showing how they met the need for a secular morality at a time when Christianity faced the onslaught of rationalism and empiricism."

My point? There's no savior coming to our rescue, no one philosophy or political party or any mass movement that can become the pancea to cling except individuals standing up for what is right. Debauchery exists throughout all movements.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Check it out dude:

The Beggar's Benison: Sex Clubs of Enlightenment Scotland and Their Rituals

David Stevenson

265pp, Tuckwell Press, 18.99
    I don't know why you bother arguing with me. I said the Enlightenment has only today enforced the laws against child sexual abuse, and only in the West.

I said nothing about eighteenth century Scotland.

Your continuing arguments against me make no sense unless they are motivated by personal animus.

If that is so, please stop harassing me

heart on fire

I don't know why you bother arguing with me. I said the Enlightenment has only today enforced the laws against child sexual abuse, and only in the West.

I said nothing about eighteenth century Scotland.

Your continuing arguments against me make no sense unless they are motivated by personal animus.

If that is so, please stop harassing me
    It is not harassing you to answer your posts on a message board. I have not insulted you personally, I have only addressed your words. You are totally in control of your online experience here. You may place me on ignore. But you aren't getting some kind of free pass on the ridiculous connections you make.

You assert that the roots of child abuse rest solely in the Romantic Age and that the roots of progress rest solely in the Enlightenment, the Enlightenment strong roots in 18th Century Scottland.

It is so hillarious that you have no problem reaching back to the 19th Century (and to Milton) to blame today's evils on but since I've mentioned some of the less than sparkling aspects of the 17th Century Enlightenment, oh suddenly the past is off limits, we're only speaking of the present time.

It's not the enlightenment nor the romantic age that brought the modern changes. It was the efforts of individuals in this time who took a stand for what is right.

It is not harassing you...
    You can't stop.

heart on fire

You can't stop.
    Is this one of your get into your subconscious techniques? It isn't working. If I think you've said something that I disagree with, I am going to answer. You don't control the actions of other posters on message boards.

You can make a blog in the blog section that only the people whom you want to interact with can see it, but you cannot control who answers you here on the main board.

Is this one of your get into your subconscious techniques? It isn't working. If I think you've said something that I disagree with, I am going to answer. You don't control the actions of other posters on message boards.

You can make a blog in the blog section that only the people whom you want to interact with can see it, but you cannot control who answers you here on the main board.
    And I can continue to ask you to please stop harassing me.

heart on fire

And I can continue to ask you to please stop harassing me.
    It isn't harassment. It wouldn't matter who posted such, I would answer. The Enlightenment and Romantic ages are examples of humanity swinging wildly between thought and feeling, trying to find the perfect answer in the extremes, when it is the very extremes that are most dangerous.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Ooooook. Enough. Everyone's got an opinion, and are free to express said opinion, but this is turning into a personal argument.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

heart on fire

What victor is ascribing to purely the Enlightenment is really something that came out of a mixture of the Enlightenment and the Great Awakening which was really an emotional/religious based reaction to the pure reason of the Enlightenment.

Methodists and Quakers as well as William Wilberforce, Hannah Moore who were Anglican evangelicals of the so-called "New Humanitarianism" movement probably had a lot more to do with turning attention on to child rights and making life better for children. This movement came out of the Romantic/Great Awakening type reaction to the Enlightenment. Legal reform and prison reform movements and the abolition movement came out of this as well. The Sunday School movement also came out of this was a precursor to universal public education for all.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Politics and government = Enlightenment

Art and attitude = Romanticism

There. That was easy enough.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"