You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Default Your experiences with mental illness

Hey guys. So I was wondering--do any of you live with a mental illness? I'm really passionate about eliminating mental health stigma, and I think it's good to be able to talk openly about these sorts of things. One in four Americans deals with a mental illness, you know--but it's still easy to feel alone. These illnesses are just as real and serious as diabetes or asthma.
    I have bipolar disorder and GAD, and am currently being treated with medications and therapy.

What are your experiences?
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    INTP Ni

Well after failing 4/5 years of intense personal growth study and application failure, I ended up with ADHD diagnosis.
    I was also given a suprise ASD (which i'm still 2 minds about, 3 years ago)

Then there's:

CPTSD
    OCD + OCD-O + Several Phobias and even Somaotype (sp) OCD anxiety, but i've pretty much fixed that one now.
    GAD, SocialAD, SeasonAD
    Borderlined PPD (Psychiatrist mentioned for me to look up last time I saw, I already knew though)
    Several narcissistic traits late teens/early 20s, but i've dealt with them mostly now. (now i've just got to deal with my GF Narc traits, lol)
    Probable BDD

I wasn't sure about Bi-Polar, never really caught my attention tbh. I did watch that documentary with Stephen Fry about Bi-Polar, and can say, I might have dysrythymia(sp- and can't find it, it's like a lighter up and down depression though) as well, but probably not Bi-Polar. Although with my outbursts, and "Jekyll and Hyde" moments when I was younger, and my ADHD up and down moods, I do sometimes wonder.

I actually felt like I had became BPD for a while, after my T dropped from 80%~ to 1% (INFJ relationship) AND my previous Psychiatrist being hugely incompetent, nearly forcing me to suicide, and so much more I can't really go into now.

There's a stigma in the UK as well, but I don't think pill popping is as bad here as it is in the states.

I don't mind sharing all the above, because it's not something to be ashamed of. Besides that, most mental health issues have positive side affects as well. As tough as it's been for me, I would never want to be a Neurotypical.

Only medication i'm on/stopped now was for ADHD. (stimulants). They're paranoid to prescribe much in the UK.
    I'm not a fan of medication in general though, not even Anti-biotics, which as I understand it, is a CPTSD thing.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I have two:

Bipolar II
    Asperger's Syndrome

I didn't know I was bipolar until last spring. It made a lot of sense when I learned it, and explained a lot about my nature. Since learning about it, I tried taking a medication that I thought was working, until I had a very very nasty breakdown in early winter that made it clear it wasn't doing its job. With that, and since it's hard on your liver (valproic acid) I took myself off it. I've been managing it well as I have been keeping a very keen eye on stress triggers that set me off, and my research adviser has been very accommodating for me in this regard (since grad school is inherently very stressful). I have enough self-awareness to more or less keep myself in check, but once I finish up a few things in my life that need direct attention, I'll put more concerted effort into managing/solving it.

Asperger's is not much of a problem for me. It's extremely well managed, and most people don't know I have it unless I point it out and they have been around me for an extended period of time and gotten to know me. I'm extroverted and like people. While those two factors are often not associated with asperger's and autism, they are independent variables that can show up together. Because of this, and my desire to do things right, I put a ton of focused effort into "learning" people in my teen years, and it figure out how to correctly socialize. The result is that I am somewhat odd, but well liked and people usually can't tell outside of some quirks that anyone could potentially have. The area where it persists is how I feel emotions, in particular raw basic emotions (fear, happiness, sadness, stress). It's linked closely with physical feelings and is frequently disconnected from thought, which can make things very confusing. I hide it from most though.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

OCPD, which well actually I guess is a personality disorder and not a mental disorder since it differs from OCD.
    "Mild to severe" depression. Runs in my family, both sides, so it wasn't surprising that it developed in both me and my sister as well. I've been functioning okay with it though. No one I meet (in person at least, probably online as well) would ever guess it unless I mentioned it otherwise because I come off as such a cheerful person. I don't like to bother other people with my problems, so I'm good at hiding it and "shoving it to the side" until I get home and can deal with it privately. Most of the time I'm okay, but when I get overwhelmed with stress or anxiety it can get really out of hand.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx

A mix of Asperger's and AD-HD, I don't see it as a mental illness however. I see it as basically an improvement that makes me special and different from the rest of the world. It helps me to know my strengths, Asperger's being increased Intelligence and tolerance to physicL pain and ADHD makes me better in sports, but less focused in school, but it's cool. At least I can look at a normal person and think, "he may get the girls, but I can easily beat the shit out of him"
    "Don't let a damned soul stomp on you for your age, but instead show them that you can be just as good as them in both morals and judgment"- 1 Timothy 4:12 in my own words that I can relate to.

Please vote on my johari window at
    http://kevan.org/jh/kensei16
    I promise it will not take long.
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

I went to a psychologist when I was really young and they tried to diagnose me with ADHD but my parents didn't want me labeled.

I am diagnosed with panic disorder, which is not fun at all, my panic attacks used to be so strong I struggled with dissociative stages of feeling derealized. I am far better now and I think I kind of found my way out of unpleasant feelings to some point.
    What bothers me a bit is my borderline personality diagnosis. My psychiatrist seems to be really sure, that I do have it and it brings me into thinking whether I live in a deep self denial of such thing, or whether he has no idea what is wrong with me...
    Likes themightyfetus, labyrinthine liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

As a kid I was diagnosed with GAD and mild OCD, but my mom diagnosed me (by herself of course, and she was clearly wrong) with autism when I was maybe 3-4. You see, I would line my toys up on a table and clench my fists and teeth and rock back and forth while talking about the toys (just something obvious, like "the giraffe is taller than the lion"). I also wouldn't wear certain fabrics which she thought was super weird. I had grown out of the rocking back and forth by the time I was about 7-8 and gradually began wearing the fabrics I wouldn't wear when I was 11-12.

I'd just like to add, the clothes I wore in that "stage" didn't make me stand out a great deal. I guess I just didn't like jeans or socks with sneakers. But girls my age also wore skirts, leggings, flats, and flip-flops so I didn't care too much or feel left out. And in high school I've met lots of girls who refuse to wear jeans, or if they do, complain all day about them, so maybe I was just early

I wouldn't sleep in my own bed and have always been sort of shy, but back in elementary school my parents thought the latter was crippling and ruining my life, but I didn't care because my classmates were nice to me and I had a few close friends (I went to a really small school - my 8th grade graduating class was 35 people including me). My parents set me up with a psychologist and over the course of 5 years, we came to the conclusion that I was just super anxious.

Fast forward to late middle school and early high school I was able to break out of my shell; make lots of new friends and be known as the "funny one" amongst them, be elected as secretary of student council (both of these gave me a TON of self-confidence) and try new hobbies. But I've been thinking lately that I could have ADHD and avoidant personality disorder. I don't want to self-diagnose myself though like my mom did when I was younger :/.

In all seriousness, I'm willing to bet at least half of the population of this forum is autistic in one form or another.
    My objective opinion, not intended to be derogatory.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    In all seriousness, I'm willing to bet at least half of the population of this forum is autistic in one form or another.
    My objective opinion, not intended to be derogatory.
    I wouldn't go that far, but higher than the statistical average for sure.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari